GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray on Nycholat and one way deals

+6
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
Mojo
rooneypoo
jamvan
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:50 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

"We had no plans for him to be down there (in Binghamton)," Murray said of Nycholat. He added: "We don't want to pay one-way contracts in the American Hockey League. We don't want to set that precedent. Other teams are doing it. That's not what we're here for."

So if you take what Murray says to heart, cause we all know he has said one thing and done another, this means Winchester will be in the starting line up.

2Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:24 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:"We had no plans for him to be down there (in Binghamton)," Murray said of Nycholat. He added: "We don't want to pay one-way contracts in the American Hockey League. We don't want to set that precedent. Other teams are doing it. That's not what we're here for."

So if you take what Murray says to heart, cause we all know he has said one thing and done another, this means Winchester will be in the starting line up.

I have little doubt about it. I've been saying for a while now that people underestimate the role of economics in all this, and that we're very unlikely to pay a guy an NHL salary to play in the AHL. This recent comment from Murray only confirms that point.

That said, Winchester is a bit of a special case, as we HAD to offer him a 1-way deal to make sure we got him. If he's not all he's cracked up to be -- and I do have high hopes for him -- I wouldn't be surprised if he splits the season between Ottawa, the press box, and Bingo. But there's little chance that he spends to whole or most of the season in Bingo alone, I think.

3Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:37 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:"We had no plans for him to be down there (in Binghamton)," Murray said of Nycholat. He added: "We don't want to pay one-way contracts in the American Hockey League. We don't want to set that precedent. Other teams are doing it. That's not what we're here for."

I have little doubt about it. I've been saying for a while now that people underestimate the role of economics in all this, and that we're very unlikely to pay a guy an NHL salary to play in the AHL. This recent comment from Murray only confirms that point.

That said, Winchester is a bit of a special case, as we HAD to offer him a 1-way deal to make sure we got him. If he's not all he's cracked up to be -- and I do have high hopes for him -- I wouldn't be surprised if he splits the season between Ottawa, the press box, and Bingo. But there's little chance that he spends to whole or most of the season in Bingo alone, I think.
Do you really think they'd stick him in the press box? Wouldn't that be detrimental to his growth?

4Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

That's an interesting take on things. I wonder if Murray does have another deal in the works that could shed some of our 3rd/4th line forwards. That way we could bring up more of the young guys. Maybe the possibility of a Chicago deal is still in the works.

5Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:12 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:

Do you really think they'd stick him in the press box? Wouldn't that be detrimental to his growth?

I just meant IF he doesn't play well, or IF he has a few bad games. I certainly don't think he'll sit in the press box all year long.

6Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:20 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:

I just meant IF he doesn't play well, or IF he has a few bad games. I certainly don't think he'll sit in the press box all year long.
Oh, Ok I get what you're saying. Thing is we have to be ready for these young kids to make mistakes during their growth.

Dammit, I just wish the season would start...I'm getting anxious as hell.

7Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:43 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

How big is Winchester? 5'11 - 190?

8Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:47 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:How big is Winchester? 5'11 - 190?
6'1 215 lbs

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8474498

9Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:

That I don't mind but, if it starts to be a regular thing for Winchester to spend time in the press box then he'd be better off playing in Bingo IMO.

- Unknown Author

10Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
That I don't mind but, if it starts to be a regular thing for Winchester to spend time in the press box then he'd be better off playing in Bingo IMO.

The seasons are 40 games in the NCAA. They only play 2 games per week. I'd be OK with Winchester only playing 2 games per week while he develops.

11Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Or he doesn't crack the lineup, and he get's traded. There are still a few teams that could use a player like him for their third/fourth line (Atlanta, LA?, Vancouver?). He'd snag at least a draft pick.

12Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:21 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I doubt we'd scout him for a year, sign him to a 1-way contract out of college despite about 20 other teams trying to do likewise and then just turn around and trade him after training camp.

PS. I assumed you were talking about Winchester.

13Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:I doubt we'd scout him for a year, sign him to a 1-way contract out of college despite about 20 other teams trying to do likewise and then just turn around and trade him after training camp.

PS. I assumed you were talking about Winchester.

I took that as Jamvan being facetious and actually implying that Murray does exactly what he says (although he usually doesn't say anything until after it's done). Which means Winchester is close to a lock to get a spot.

Which makes me wonder why we still have Neil, McAmmond and Donovan. Or are we going to carry a 22 or 23-man roster?

"Hey, Mr. Melnyk, remember how I saved you $800K yesterday by trading Nycholat? Well, I think it could be really well spent by keeping an extra player up with the club. "

P.S. I posted elsewhere that I thought it was Murray that gave Nycholat that one-way contract, but then I read somewhere else that that was one of Muckler's parting gifts.

14Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:41 pm

wprager you should read this article: http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381066
(MODs I don't know if this is a problem for anyone else, but I can't post a link without it going to the top of the page...plus you can't cut and paste...its annoying)

15Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Empty Re: Murray on Nycholat and one way deals Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
P.S. I posted elsewhere that I thought it was Murray that gave Nycholat that one-way contract, but then I read somewhere else that that was one of Muckler's parting gifts.

It was Muckler.

Hahaha 'parting gifts'. I left a couple of those at work when I was leaving. :bom:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum