GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Questions Heading into the Stanley Cup Playoffs

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From the great hockey site Kukla's Korner, a playoff questionnaire for everyone to have fun with...

Questions Heading into the Stanley Cup Playoffs

Blog: Goal Line Report By Patrick Hoffman

Kukla's Korner
04/16/09 at 03:55 PM ET

Hockey fans across the globe are amped up as the Stanley Cup playoffs have finally begun.

With that in mind, I want your predictions on the following questions:

- Who will lead the playoffs in goals scored?

- Who will lead the playoffs in assists?

- Who will lead the playoffs in points?

- Which player will have the biggest impact in the playoffs?

- Who will be the best rookie in the playoffs?

- Who will be the best goalie in the playoffs?

- Which team will have the best power play?

- Which team will have the best penalty killing?

- Which team will get eliminated first?

- Which four teams will be in the Conference finals?

- Which two teams will meet in the Stanley Cup Finals?

- Lastly, which team will win the Cup? Why?

----

As you can never have too many SCP threads, thought everyone would enjoy sharing their thoughts on these questions.
:D:

If you want to weigh on Patrick's site as well, send him your predictions at Kuklas Korner right here:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/glr/comments/questions_heading_into_the_stanley_cup_playoffs/

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

- Who will lead the playoffs in goals scored? Kessel (picking a somewhat darkhorse because who figured Franzen would lead the SCP in goals last year?)

- Who will lead the playoffs in assists? Savard

- Who will lead the playoffs in points? Savard

- Which player will have the biggest impact in the playoffs? Chara

- Who will be the best rookie in the playoffs? Versteeg looked damn good last night, he's my bet.

- Who will be the best goalie in the playoffs? Luongo

- Which team will have the best power play? Boston or Jersey

- Which team will have the best penalty killing? Jersey

- Which team will get eliminated first? Montreal

- Which four teams will be in the Conference finals? Boston Vs Jersey, Chicago vs Detroit

- Which two teams will meet in the Stanley Cup Finals? Boston vs Detroit

- Lastly, which team will win the Cup? Why? Boston, is full of depth, and if they don't get rattled by the Wings, they will win.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

interesting choices!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:interesting choices!

you could ask me this again tomorrow and I could have different choices lol. This is going to be a hard playoffs to predict anything, so I could look pretty bad come June.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:

you could ask me this again tomorrow and I could have different choices lol. This is going to be a hard playoffs to predict anything, so I could look pretty bad come June.

Couldn't agree more...but I found your idea of a Wings-Hawks Conference Final intriguing...

That would presuppose:

Sharks over Ducks
Wings over Jackets
Canucks over Blues
Hawks over Flames

...in order to get a 2nd round matchup that might--assuming Hawks (4) over Sharks (1) and Wings (2) over Canucks (3)--lead to a Detroit-Chicago West Final.

In that case, Franzen/Hossa Vs Havlat/Toews for goal scoring lead in the West?

In the East, you are suggesting:

Bruins over Habs
Rangers over Caps
Devils over Canes
Penguins over Flyers

Which then, following your supposition, Bruins (1) over Rangers (8), Devils (3) over Penguins (5).

In that case, Malkin Vs Savard/Kessel for the goal scoring lead in the East?

Hard to argue with you re: Chara. He was the gamebreaker last night...though he has been known to struggle defending against small, swift forwards. Koivu did a number on him that was interesting.

Rookies...more than a few really good ones this year. Mason, Ryan, Versteeg, Wheeler, Ericsson...tough to pick one.

Best goalie...wow. So many close games, and some stellar goaltending--even in losing causes--so far.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Couldn't agree more...but I found your idea of a Wings-Hawks Conference Final intriguing...

That would presuppose:

Sharks over Ducks
Wings over Jackets
Canucks over Blues
Hawks over Flames

...in order to get a 2nd round matchup that might--assuming Hawks (4) over Sharks (1) and Wings (2) over Canucks (3)--lead to a Detroit-Chicago West Final.

In that case, Franzen/Hossa Vs Havlat/Toews for goal scoring lead in the West?

In the East, you are suggesting:

Bruins over Habs
Rangers over Caps
Devils over Canes
Penguins over Flyers

Which then, following your supposition, Bruins (1) over Rangers (8), Devils (3) over Penguins (5).

In that case, Malkin Vs Savard/Kessel for the goal scoring lead in the East?

Hard to argue with you re: Chara. He was the gamebreaker last night...though he has been known to struggle defending against small, swift forwards. Koivu did a number on him that was interesting.

Rookies...more than a few really good ones this year. Mason, Ryan, Versteeg, Wheeler, Ericsson...tough to pick one.

Best goalie...wow. So many close games, and some stellar goaltending--even in losing causes--so far.

Wings - Hawks was a whim, mainly based on the limited action I have seen so far, 1 game is a not a lot to determine anything unfortunately. As for the rookie battle so far, there are 3 possibilities on the limited action, and this is based more than just on stats, Versteeg, Ericsson, and Ryan are those 3, but that could be debated I am sure.

I never did take in effect the previous implications of my choices for the finals, meaning previous round results and of who beats in what matches. Detroit does look strong right now, but that could change. The Hawks will be better next game because the first game is under the belt, no nervousness present. which is good because Keenan should have Calgary throwing everything at them. For the goalie, I realized I shafted the Bulin Wall, Brodeur, and Lundqvist, but again, this could is debatable, but Luongo has more control of his teams destiny IMHO.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This is a fun one, thanks DTR!!!

Here are my predictions:

Hockey fans across the globe are amped up as the Stanley Cup playoffs have finally begun.

- Who will lead the playoffs in goals scored?
Hossa or Franzen

- Who will lead the playoffs in assists? Chara

- Who will lead the playoffs in points? Parise

- Which player will have the biggest impact in the playoffs? Luongo

- Who will be the best rookie in the playoffs? Bobby Ryan

- Which team will have the best power play? Boston

- Which team will have the best penalty killing? Chicago

- Which team will get eliminated first? Columbus

- Which four teams will be in the Conference finals? Boston/NJ - Chicago/Vancouver

- Which two teams will meet in the Stanley Cup Finals? Boston-Vanvouver

- Lastly, which team will win the Cup? Why? Vancouver - I don't really know why, this is basically what I came up with when I did my pool, I never would have picked them until I saw how things would turn out if I chose the winners properly in each series. I ended up with them, so why not? Anything can happen baby!!!

----

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SensFan71 wrote:- Who will lead the playoffs in goals scored? Kessel (picking a somewhat darkhorse because who figured Franzen would lead the SCP in goals last year?)

- Who will lead the playoffs in assists? Savard

- Who will lead the playoffs in points? Savard

- Which player will have the biggest impact in the playoffs? Chara

- Who will be the best rookie in the playoffs? Versteeg looked damn good last night, he's my bet.

- Which team will have the best power play? Boston or Jersey

- Which team will have the best penalty killing? Jersey

- Which team will get eliminated first? Montreal

- Which four teams will be in the Conference finals? Boston Vs Jersey, Chicago vs Detroit

- Which two teams will meet in the Stanley Cup Finals? Boston vs Detroit

- Lastly, which team will win the Cup? Why? Boston, is full of depth, and if they don't get rattled by the Wings, they will win.

Crazy SF71!! Good choices, IMO. We almost chose the same in the end, and I didn't even see your choices. Kinda strange since I haven't really heard of anyone else but me choosing Chicago in the CF.

It's really tough to choose though for sure. Some teams really surprised me so far. I have a feeling about Chicago this year...they could make it really deep in the playoffs.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Hiller would also be a good choice for Goaltender and Rookie of the Playoffs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:

- Who will lead the playoffs in goals scored? Kesler

- Who will lead the playoffs in assists? Crosby

- Who will lead the playoffs in points? Crosby

- Which player will have the biggest impact in the playoffs? Daniel Sedin

- Who will be the best rookie in the playoffs? Bobby Ryan

- Which team will have the best power play? Detroit

- Which team will have the best penalty killing? Anaheim

- Which team will get eliminated first? Montreal/Columbus (both in 5)

- Which four teams will be in the Conference finals? Vancouver, Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh

- Which two teams will meet in the Stanley Cup Finals? Pittsburgh and Vancouver

- Lastly, which team will win the Cup? Why? Vancouver. Goaltending, depth, skill at forward.

----

As you can never have too many SCP threads, thought everyone would enjoy sharing their thoughts on these questions.
:D:

If you want to weigh on Patrick's site as well, send him your predictions at Kuklas Korner right here:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/glr/comments/questions_heading_into_the_stanley_cup_playoffs/

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Damn, that was hard. I think I like New Jersey over Boston for the ECF and then Pittsburgh over Jersey to go to the Cup.

I also think IF San Jose beats Anaheim, one of two things will happen.

1.They will be swept in round 2 because they'll be beaten to Dung

or

2.They will cruise to a Cup.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Great choices Heater!! I really am taking Pittsburgh too lightly I think. I'm not sure why...They never even crossed my mind.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

[quote="504Heater"][quote="davetherave"]

- Lastly, which team will win the Cup? Why? Vancouver. Goaltending, depth, skill at forward.

^ Good answer! :D:

Speaking of Vancouver, is Sundin even playing? If he is, he could be the difference in these playoffs too, the further they get, the more hungry he will be.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:Hiller would also be a good choice for Goaltender and Rookie of the Playoffs.

totally never considered hiller honestly for goalie, but I don't know if that is part of me thinking SJ will wake up or if its because I never see many Anaheim games, they always start late for me, so never see any of them.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SensFan71 wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Hiller would also be a good choice for Goaltender and Rookie of the Playoffs.

totally never considered hiller honestly for goalie, but I don't know if that is part of me thinking SJ will wake up or if its because I never see many Anaheim games, they always start late for me, so never see any of them.

I didn't really think of him until I finished filling it out. I still would have chosen Luongo for goaltender though. I might have changed my rookie to Hiller.

Talk about standing on your head and taking a game on the road. That is unbeleivable for a rookie goaltender. He's got great numbers this year too.

I just never thought San Jose would lose this series either. It's very possible that they will though, I know it's only one game, but it's the 1 team that nobody wants to play against in the playoffs (Anaheim). They're going to hurt them regardless of what happens at the end of the series.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum