GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7:00pm ET - Wed. March 25th, 2009

+19
KidKarlsson
Sens4thecup
biggestsensfan
asq2
Sp00nz
Hockeyhero22000
beerandsens
The Silfer Server
PKC
Jordo
wprager
SensGirl11
Cronie
PTFlea
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
beedub
shabbs
davetherave
23 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7:00pm ET - Wed. March 25th, 2009 OttOttawa at GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7:00pm ET - Wed. March 25th, 2009 CarCarolina

7:00 PM ET, March 25, 2009
RBC Center, Raleigh, North Carolina

Senators-Hurricanes Preview

The Carolina Hurricanes' recent success has them moving up the Eastern Conference standings. The Ottawa Senators have played even better of late, but are likely to miss the playoffs the first time in 12 seasons.

On Wednesday night, two of the NHL's hottest teams look to extend winning streaks as they conclude the season series at the RBC Center.

Carolina (40-28-7) tries for a season-high fifth straight victory after winning 3-2 in overtime at Florida on Monday. The result moved the Hurricanes to fifth in the East and three points behind fourth-place Philadelphia with seven games remaining.

"We're winning some games the ugly way, we're winning some pretty games," said

Ray Whitney after scoring the winner for Carolina, which improved to 8-1-2 in March. "We're winning in a bunch of different fashions."
The Hurricanes hope to get back on the winning track against Ottawa (32-30-10), which has won the last two meetings, but hopes to avoid losing three in a row at Carolina. The Senators fell 2-1 there on Nov. 7.

The Senators also will try for a season-high sixth straight victory after winning 2-1 over the New York Rangers on Sunday to open a six-game road trip.

With 10 games left, Ottawa is nine points behind Montreal for the final playoff spot in the East. The Senators, who reached the Stanley Cup finals two years ago, haven't missed the postseason since 1995-96.

"You lose one game here and there, and mathematically you could be out of it," Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson said. "Our approach is to just win every game and keep this positive thing going."

Despite being held without a point against the Rangers, Alfredsson has two goals and five assists in his last four games overall and four assists against Carolina this season. He had two of them in the Senators' 4-2 home win over the Hurricanes on Feb. 24 in the teams' most recent meeting.

Rookie Brian Elliott made 23 saves in Ottawa's 5-1 win over Carolina on Jan. 13 and is expected to be in goal trying for his ninth straight victory after sitting out Sunday. Elliott is 15-4-3 with a 2.67 goals-against average.

Mike Comrie, who had a goal versus the Hurricanes last month, scored against New York after the flu kept him out of the previous three games for the Senators, who are 9-1-0 since losing three in a row.

"The odds are still really against us, and what's been working for us is thinking about the next game," forward Jason Spezza told the Senators' official Web site."That's how we've been winning and there's no point in changing now."
Carolina hopes to change that as it tries to return to the postseason for the first time since winning the Stanley Cup in 2005-06.

Tuomo Ruutu matched a career high with his 23rd goal and Cam Ward made 37 saves in his 22nd consecutive start Monday for Carolina, which plays five of its final seven at home.

Ruutu has two goals in his last three games while Whitney has six and 11 assists in 11 contests this month. Both, however, have combined for one assist against Ottawa this season.

Ward is 34-22-5 with a 2.50 GAA overall, but 0-2-0 with a 6.00 GAA against the Senators this season.

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7:00pm ET - Wed. March 25th, 2009 Sens_c10

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Starting goalies as per: http://goaliepost.com/
- Ottawa: Elliott (probable)
- Carolina: Ward (probable)

Game Day notes from the Ottawa Sun: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/03/25/8875486-sun.html

BLACK AND BLUE REPORT

SENATORS: G Pascal Leclaire (ankle), out for season; D Alexandre Picard (knee), season; C Cody Bass (shoulder surgery), season; D Jason Smith (knee), likely out for season.

HURRICANES: C Matt Cullen (lower body), may play; RW Scott Walker (upper body), out indefinitely.

NOTEWORTHY

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Senators are 2-1 vs. Carolina this season. Ottawa lost 2-1 on Nov. 7 at the RBC Center, then won both games at Scotiabank Place: 5-1 on Jan. 13 and 4-2 Feb. 24. In the latter game, Alex Auld made 41 saves and Mike Comrie's first goal in his return to the Senators stood up as the winner ... The Hurricanes are coming off a 3-2 OT victory over the Panthers Monday in Florida. Sergei Samsonov recorded an assist, his 500th career point ... Like the Senators, the Hurricanes are also hot, winning four straight and going 8-1-2 in their last 11 games ... The Senators have only been outshot once in their last 11 games, 29-22 by the Rangers Sunday. Ottawa has outshot opponents 336-277 over those 11 games. -- Bruce Garrioch

WHERE TO CATCH THE GAME

TV: TSN2, FS-CR
RADIO: Team 1200, CJRC 1150 AM, Star 96 FM (Pembroke), The Jewel 1220 AM (Cornwall), The Lake 88.1 FM (Perth), KIX 93.5 FM (Kingston).

GO SENS GO!!!

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I'll be watching this one closely. It could be a great two points for Ottawa, but if Eric Staal has a strong game, it could be bad

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Actually it's Joe Corvo that we have to watch out for. He's had a lot of his goals this year come against Ottawa LOL. Seriously though in our 9-1 streak we beat two teams on hot streaks in the Penguins and Rangers so fingers crossed. I know 9th overall would suck but that would be a really nice record under Clouston and give us something great to build off of going into next season.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, we gotta shut down Corvo. I hate it so much when he scores against us. I have no idea why, no other player makes me feel that way...

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Rogers gave me a free subscription to NHL.com Gamecenter so now I can watch it!!!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jamvan wrote:Rogers gave me a free subscription to NHL.com Gamecenter so now I can watch it!!!
Very nice. Would love to get your impression of the "quality" of NHL.com's Gamecenter.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
jamvan wrote:Rogers gave me a free subscription to NHL.com Gamecenter so now I can watch it!!!
Very nice. Would love to get your impression of the "quality" of NHL.com's Gamecenter.
I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm going to s-video it right into my TV.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Yeah, we gotta shut down Corvo. I hate it so much when he scores against us. I have no idea why, no other player makes me feel that way...

I'm with you on that one too Shabbs. I actually get angry when that guy scores. I think for me it's because he could have still done well here but he blamed the media pressure for his poor play. I guess I feel like he snubbed our team by requesting a trade.

- Unknown Author

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:Yeah, we gotta shut down Corvo. I hate it so much when he scores against us. I have no idea why, no other player makes me feel that way...

I'm with you on that one too Shabbs. I actually get angry when that guy scores. I think for me it's because he could have still done well here but he blamed the media pressure for his poor play. I guess I feel like he snubbed our team by requesting a trade.
He's still a defensive liability. The only time I was pi$$ed was when he scored a hat trick on us.

We play the Canes well

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's not so much that I wanted him to stay it's that he wanted to leave and blamed his poor outings on the media. I don't know what it is exactly but I just get more angry when he scores on us over any other player in the league.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jamvan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

He's still a defensive liability. The only time I was pi$$ed was when he scored a hat trick on us.

We play the Canes well
Aren't all offensive D-men a defensive liability of *some* sort? What I mean is, it comes with the nature of the position - good offensive skills that can play D as well.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The combo of Eric Staal and Erik Cole is a dangerous one...

BTW what happened to the Canes fan who used to post? Disappeared around the time Carolina started their climb...
scratch

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's a good question. I don't know what happened to him. He was posting a lot and then vanished.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As mentioned by SensGirl, Elliott gets the start tonight.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/03/25/8881611.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum