GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Expect moves from the Ducks this week

+5
Money Farmer
wprager
towelie112
rooneypoo
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Expect moves from the Ducks this week Empty Expect moves from the Ducks this week Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's it. It's time for the trade season to start up again. Teemu Selanne has issued the following statement:

"I'm mentally ready to return, Ducks are currently making room for me (salary-wise)"

"Ducks' training camp starts on september 11th, we need to sign the contract before that"

The Ducks currently sit over the cap by 3.2 million dollars. Add in Selanne's bare minimum of 4 and they need to shed 7.2 million dollars. Add on an extra 1.5 million minimum for injury call ups etc. and you push it to 10.4. That's a lot of money to have to shed.

The suspects to be moved to accomodate Selanne will be:

Mathieu Schneider (5.625)
Todd Marchant (2.5)
Bobby Ryan (1.9)
Ryan Carter (.625)
Brad May (.600)
Sean O'Donnell (1.25)
Rob Niedermayer (2.0)
Steve Montador (.800)
Kent Huskins (.625)

That's approximate 16 million dollars. So at least 4 of these guys are gone to make 10. I'll be on Schneider, Marchant, Carter, May and maybe Huskins to make to where they want to be in the cap.

A trade is coming...stay tuned.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:That's it. It's time for the trade season to start up again. Teemu Selanne has issued the following statement:

"I'm mentally ready to return, Ducks are currently making room for me (salary-wise)"

"Ducks' training camp starts on september 11th, we need to sign the contract before that"

The Ducks currently sit over the cap by 3.2 million dollars. Add in Selanne's bare minimum of 4 and they need to shed 7.2 million dollars. Add on an extra 1.5 million minimum for injury call ups etc. and you push it to 10.4. That's a lot of money to have to shed.

Todd Marchant (2.5)
Bobby Ryan (1.9)
Ryan Carter (.625)
Brad May (.600)
Sean O'Donnell (1.25)
Rob Niedermayer (2.0)
Steve Montador (.800)
Kent Huskins (.625)

That's approximate 16 million dollars. So at least 4 of these guys are gone to make 10. I'll be on Schneider, Marchant, Carter, May and maybe Huskins to make to where they want to be in the cap.

The Ducks aren't in quite as bad shape financially as the numbers at NHLSCAP might suggest. They have 15 F, 7 D, and 2 G under contract. There are a few players there who won't make the roster, who will thus be demoted to the AHL or waived, and whose salary won't be factored into against the Ducks' cap hit, probably to the tune of $2 mil or so.

As I have heard it, the most likely targets to trade are Schneider and Marchant. Together, they account for over $8 mil in salary. I very much doubt it that Bobby Ryan or Ryan Carter will be going anywhere; they are the Ducks top 2 prospects at the moment. Candidates for being demoted to the minors are newly-signed Lindstrom and Andrew Miller, both of whom are on 2-way deals. Candidates for waivers are Parros (my beloved Parros!), Sutherby, and Huskins.

Combined with the above trimming of the roster, the Ducks should get back under the cap comfortably by moving Schneider and Marchant, and then signing Selanne for something like $3-4 mil. I know that number sounds really low, but Selanne signed a $3 mil deal with the Ducks last year when he returned, and that was not a pro-rated deal. I can see him signing a similar ridiculously-low contract again this year.

towelie112

towelie112
Rookie
Rookie

Would they trade Rob Niedermayer? I thought playing with his brother was the whole reason Scott Niedermayer was playing for the ducks! Wait is he playing this year or did he retire again?

We will take Schneider off Burke's hands for the 3rd rounder we got from Cloutier, although I wouldn't be willing to give up anything more than that for a 39-year old injury prone guy.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

towelie112 wrote:Would they trade Rob Niedermayer? I thought playing with his brother was the whole reason Scott Niedermayer was playing for the ducks! Wait is he playing this year or did he retire again?

Probably not if they can avoid it, he's part of a good checking line, but they're gonna have to make some moves for sure.

Schneider to Tampa? Or Montreal? Or the Kings?

Those are the 3 I can see going for it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:
towelie112 wrote:Would they trade Rob Niedermayer? I thought playing with his brother was the whole reason Scott Niedermayer was playing for the ducks! Wait is he playing this year or did he retire again?

Probably not if they can avoid it, he's part of a good checking line, but they're gonna have to make some moves for sure.

Schneider to Tampa? Or Montreal? Or the Kings?

Those are the 3 I can see going for it.

Kings need the salary to help them get to the floor. But Montreal would be my sentimental choice.

towelie112

towelie112
Rookie
Rookie

I can see the kings making a few moves soon picking up Schneider for one and possibly Khabibulin for another seeing how that they no goaltending.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

towelie112 wrote:I can see the kings making a few moves soon picking up Schneider for one and possibly Khabibulin for another seeing how that they no goaltending.

Why, what happened? They still have Bernier and LaBarbera, no?

wprager wrote:
towelie112 wrote:I can see the kings making a few moves soon picking up Schneider for one and possibly Khabibulin for another seeing how that they no goaltending.

Why, what happened? They still have Bernier and LaBarbera, no?
Im not sold on Bernier. At this point in their careers, Khabby is best

10Expect moves from the Ducks this week Empty Re: Expect moves from the Ducks this week Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:05 pm

Money Farmer

Money Farmer
Prospect
Prospect

Bernier is "franchise" kinda good. Khabibulin's best are behind him.........they would be crazy to deal for him.

http://www.investorsgroup.com/consult/tim.frisby/english/default

11Expect moves from the Ducks this week Empty Re: Expect moves from the Ducks this week Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Money Farmer wrote:Bernier is "franchise" kinda good. Khabibulin's best are behind him.........they would be crazy to deal for him.
Chicago needs space, so if LA could trade a 4th or 3rd, bernier can play a season in the AHL

12Expect moves from the Ducks this week Empty Re: Expect moves from the Ducks this week Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:That's it. It's time for the trade season to start up again. Teemu Selanne has issued the following statement:

Todd Marchant (2.5)
Bobby Ryan (1.9)
Ryan Carter (.625)
Brad May (.600)
Sean O'Donnell (1.25)
Rob Niedermayer (2.0)
Steve Montador (.800)
Kent Huskins (.625)

Maybe Murray can get Beauchemin then put Schubert in a package for a sniper. I'd like to see Ryan or Neidermayer on the team but I dont think Burke would make those moves.

13Expect moves from the Ducks this week Empty Re: Expect moves from the Ducks this week Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Selanne isn't going to make 4 million, well at least not without bonuses. Those bonuses count against the cap, but because he's over 35 the NHL will allow the ducks to exceed the cap.

I'm expecting Selanne to get something similar to what Chelios signed for. 2 to 3 million including bonuses max.

14Expect moves from the Ducks this week Empty Re: Expect moves from the Ducks this week Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Money Farmer

Money Farmer
Prospect
Prospect

Huskins or Van Ryn would br great adds for us.

http://www.investorsgroup.com/consult/tim.frisby/english/default

15Expect moves from the Ducks this week Empty Re: Expect moves from the Ducks this week Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Money Farmer wrote:Huskins or Van Ryn would br great adds for us.

I've always likes Huskins, but does he have enough offensive upside to help?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum