GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Lee - Is he good enough?

+14
shabbs
davetherave
wprager
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
beerandsens
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Jordo
Cronie
Urkie
PTFlea
strachattack
SensGirl11
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

strachattack wrote:I agree with your assessment. I haven't been happy with Lee for quite some time now. He has a bad shot, struggles to keep it in the offensive zone and is often out muscled in the defensive zone. To me he's either an add-on in some trade package or he should be in Bingo for the next couple of years. At that point reassess his progress. Right now, I feel he's taking a top-6 spot that he doesn't deserve. I would rather have Schubert back there and that's saying something. At least Schubert will throw an effective body check.

The effort just doesn't seem to be there with Lee either, since a lot of this thread is using Bell as an example, I never see Bell give up on a puck, offensive or defensive zone, Lee just seems to bail on everything, causing bad turnovers or bad decisions that luckily don't cost the team dearly. what to do with him? well, that one I can't answer, I am a fan, not a GM/coach, they would know better than me. It just seems for me that Lee is mostly floating out there, no effort at all.

17Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:I think it is a bit too early to throw him under the bus and back over him and run over him again and backup...

He is still VERY young, he has shown flashes, he has been bad too. I think he has the potential to be a nice clam passer and a solid defensive player. Will he ever live up to being a first rounder, likely not, but he has potential to play in the 4 spot I think. He needs some solid coaching and I am leary of our coaching of young defencemen in the last couple of years. Picard, Lee, Bell etc... have not flourished. Each has shown potential. If they are all busts do you blame every player or do you at least shine a light on the coach responsible for defensemen. Is it Carvel? Is it?

P.S. I think the Brendan Bell love-in is a bit premature. He has had one real good game but often he has his defence partner pulling his hair out. He is fighting for his NHL life right now on a non-playoff team so he should be having a game like last night more often (not necessarily 2 goals but the effort at both ends was way better). Can he do it as a regular?... he hasn't proven it here, Toronto or Phoenix to my knowledge.

I am of your opinion as well... And I will also add that you can see a change in his gameplay throughout the game. A few times i've noticed when he didn't do something properly or was not in position, someone on the bench talks to him, and he doesn't make that mistake again. Or he'll join the rush, or he'll pass instead of shoot. It seems as though he is willing to learn, and he does heed the advice that is given to him. Personally, this is worth something and I think adds to his potential, because he is willing to improve himself and learn.

I don't see the love for Bell either. He really is overrated. This is a guy who was not good enough to make Phoenix or Toronto's defence, and yet people want to make him a staple on ours. He does have a good shot, but he is weak, and he's slow. When Godard beat him on the outside and then overpowered him to the inside, i was floored. Here is a guy who's sole job is to fight, and he outskates and overpowers one of our defencemen. He is not good defensively. Lee has nearly twice as many hits, and blocked shots, and has fewer giveaways than Bell.

Lastly, I'd like to give Picard another chance before burying him in binghamton. Of course if something comes along at the draft i'd trade him, but he's the one defenceman who has not been given a fair chance under Clouston. He played one full game under Clouston. I think after a few games learning Clouston's style, Picard can be a prototypical Clouston player, because he has the speed, he has the body to hit, and he has a solid shot. He also doesn't take stupid penalties.

18Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:44 am

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

SensGirl11 wrote:I think the best thing to do would be to try and get something of value for him or as Heater said, try to move up in the draft. Problem is, will any other team take him or has he been exposed?

Hey, maybe Minnesota would take him... Sarcasm they did give him the first star that game, and he played a rather typical "Brian Lee" game that night ie nothing special.

(He did score, but it was a gift as the pass he received sent the goalie sprawling to the point that he wasn't in the net anymore.)

This guy has been brutal. He's still young but I don't think you continue to play him in a Sens uni. Let him play in Bingo and get hungry. I know it looks like he doesn't even have the tools to be an effective dman, but I think there is another problem too; he needs a little bit of extra drive. Get him in Bingo trying to improve on a team where at least he has a chance of making improvements. I'm all for trading him too, but I don't think anyone will actually provide anything beyond another busted prospect for this guy.

19Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:47 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

SensFan71 wrote:

The effort just doesn't seem to be there with Lee either, since a lot of this thread is using Bell as an example, I never see Bell give up on a puck, offensive or defensive zone, Lee just seems to bail on everything, causing bad turnovers or bad decisions that luckily don't cost the team dearly. what to do with him? well, that one I can't answer, I am a fan, not a GM/coach, they would know better than me. It just seems for me that Lee is mostly floating out there, no effort at all.

I should have just kept reading... you said it SF71, he's a floater.

20Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:49 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

I should have just kept reading... you said it SF71, he's a floater.

whoo I am just glad someone agrees with me, for our sake, hopefully like you said, he inherits some hunger for the puck, either that, ship him off and maybe get another gem like Shannon for a guy that just isn't part of our program.

21Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:09 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I still believe in his potential. I didn't catch the game, but on the high-lights he seemed to have a pretty nice pass to Schubert.

I agree he needs to get meaner and more assertive. The same can be sad for a number of our players though (19).

22Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:12 am

He was awful again tonight, I couldnt count how many times he was caught up ice with Montreal players breaking from their own zone. He is totally unsure of himself, where he has to be on the ice, and whats goign on around him.

He needs minimum 1 more year in the AHL and thats being generous. The kid will not be in Ottawa next year, I would be willing to bet a huge amount on that.

23Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Well, that's not good news.

EDIT: The awfulness, I mean.

24Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 am

He was brutal tonight, just awful watching him live. At least on TV you cant see how out of position he is ALL the time.

25Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:35 am

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:He was awful again tonight, I couldnt count how many times he was caught up ice with Montreal players breaking from their own zone. He is totally unsure of himself, where he has to be on the ice, and whats goign on around him.

He needs minimum 1 more year in the AHL and thats being generous. The kid will not be in Ottawa next year, I would be willing to bet a huge amount on that.

Well that's not good news but it's not a shock. Lee needs to be sent down and M. Karlsson needs to be given a shot. I can't imagine him being any worse at this point.

26Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:38 am

There isnt a player on the Sens that is worse to watch than Brian Lee. Its just not a problem because he wont be here next year and will be taken right off the cap.

He is just awful.

27Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:46 am

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

I was just looking at the boxscore and Lee had the 3rd most ice time among Sens defensemen. He had more ice time the Phillips. Why is Clouston giving him that much ice time when he clearly has been struggling?

28Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:36 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Lee was bar none the worst player on the ice tonight, without a question. That's surprising he logged the ice time he did... As Neely said, watching it live was ten times worse. Don't go on highlights.

I thought Schubert played a solid game tonight on the 4th line. He had a bunch of scoring opportunities.

29Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lee needs to be sent to Bingo ASAP.
At this point, with Smith out for good (at least it appears that way) why not bring up Karlsson (Matthias) and give him a good look see.

What can it hurt? Can this team really go 12-0?

30Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:32 am

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Cronie wrote:Lee needs to be sent to Bingo ASAP.
At this point, with Smith out for good (at least it appears that way) why not bring up Karlsson (Matthias) and give him a good look see.

What can it hurt? Can this team really go 12-0?

Dont know if they can but they sure are trying to pull off an amazing run right now and if they keep playing like this they may come close

31Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:20 am

I am not sure I agree with all of these assessments personally... but that's why we have forums like this. I certainly think he has some decision making challenges here and there. He certainly has potential though, not top 2, but he has potential. He is very teachable and that bodes well. He was trying to get a little bit more nasty (with Plekanec (sp?)) last night. He wasn't horrible that is for sure. The coaching staff wouldn't be giving him big minutes if he was as awful as described.

I guess I am the Paula Abdul of the judging panel though...

32Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:23 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:I am not sure I agree with all of these assessments personally... but that's why we have forums like this. I certainly think he has some decision making challenges here and there. He certainly has potential though, not top 2, but he has potential. He is very teachable and that bodes well. He was trying to get a little bit more nasty (with Plekanec (sp?)) last night. He wasn't horrible that is for sure. The coaching staff wouldn't be giving him big minutes if he was as awful as described.

I guess I am the Paula Abdul of the judging panel though...

well you don't have to agree with all of us, we are just jealous that Lee is playing in the NHL lol, hmm, paula abdul eh, were you ever a laker girl MOI? lol Ahhhhh!

33Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 am

SensFan71 wrote:

well you don't have to agree with all of us, we are just jealous that Lee is playing in the NHL lol, hmm, paula abdul eh, were you ever a laker girl MOI? lol Ahhhhh!

She was definitely hot back then....

Not bad even now as she slides gracefully into cougar-hood...

Brian Lee - Is he good enough? - Page 2 Paula-abdul-picture-3

Plus she has become a fan of the gun show, which I am particularly thankful for...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum