GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Lee - Is he good enough?

+14
shabbs
davetherave
wprager
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
beerandsens
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Jordo
Cronie
Urkie
PTFlea
strachattack
SensGirl11
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:38 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I came to the conclusion at the game last night that Brian Lee just isn't cut out for NHL hockey. I realize that he is a rookie this year, and maybe I should give him some more time to come into his own as an NHL blueliner, but I just can't do it.

He's just not good enough, period. You'd think that after playing most of the season with the big club that he would show signs of improvement, to me, he has shown zero signs of improvement, and I'm not exagerating with this, zero.

I feel that he is going to take up a spot for someone that is more deserving of the time. Bell, Picard, Schubert is even better...maybe someone else we acquire.

I am not by any means a big fan of Bell's, but he's starting to grow on me a bit, and I feel that he is oodles better than Lee in every way. I truly believe that Lee will be one of the next 'prospects' to fail as an NHLer. Sometimes there are guys that just aren't cut out for it, and to me, he is one of those guys.

Any thoughts on this? Am I jumping the gun a bit here? I don't feel I am, but maybe you have some insight into this.

We don't need to have sub-par D again next year, I think we've all had enough of that.

2Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:48 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

I agree with your assessment. I haven't been happy with Lee for quite some time now. He has a bad shot, struggles to keep it in the offensive zone and is often out muscled in the defensive zone. To me he's either an add-on in some trade package or he should be in Bingo for the next couple of years. At that point reassess his progress. Right now, I feel he's taking a top-6 spot that he doesn't deserve. I would rather have Schubert back there and that's saying something. At least Schubert will throw an effective body check.

3Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree as well. It's becoming more and more evident that Bell can do the same job for less $$.

Perhaps we let him spend the entire year next year in Bingo? Or as Strach said, we package him with our 1st rounder to try to move up.

I don't know what to say, I can't defend him anymore.

4Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

I wouldn't hesitate to trade him if the right deal came along. I think that tells you my opinion of him. He's not good enough to be a #1 or 2 defensemen (even a #3 or 4) but he's not physical enough to be a #5 or 6 guy. N4L was spot on with his assesment early on.

5Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:57 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I think the best thing to do would be to try and get something of value for him or as Heater said, try to move up in the draft. Problem is, will any other team take him or has he been exposed?

If we can't move up in the draft with him then he should play in Bingo forever, or at least for another year and as Strach said, we can go from there and see if there is any kind of improvement. Or, he can just become a lifer there like Hamel.

Bottom line, he shouldn't be in a Sens Uni next year.

I would gladly put Schubert in his place, or Bell or Picard. Any of those guys will do. Picard seems to have a much bigger upside than Lee, he can be our experiment next year. He's been hurt so freaking much this year. He needs to work on his strength.

6Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Lee is a 1st round flop, wont be any better than a 5, 6 D man in the NHL and he will prob be in Europe somewhere by the time he is 26.

7Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:I think the best thing to do would be to try and get something of value for him or as Heater said, try to move up in the draft. Problem is, will any other team take him or has he been exposed?

If we can't move up in the draft with him then he should play in Bingo forever, or at least for another year and as Strach said, we can go from there and see if there is any kind of improvement. Or, he can just become a lifer there like Hamel.

I would gladly put Schubert in his place, or Bell or Picard. Any of those guys will do. Picard seems to have a much bigger upside than Lee, he can be our experiment next year. He's been hurt so freaking much this year. He needs to work on his strength.

How about we don't put Picard or Schubert in there? Instead, perhaps we can get a real NHL D-man? Ahhhhh!

8Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Neely4Life wrote:Lee is a 1st round flop, wont be any better than a 5, 6 D man in the NHL and he will prob be in Europe somewhere by the time he is 26.
I agree he is a 1st round bust, but I'd throw him in Bingo for a couple of years before completely giving up on the loser.

9Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have to agree with everybody.

I've never really defended Lee, but I never wanted Mucks to take him...PERIOD. And quite frankly, he doesn't compensate for his small stature with other plays and effectiveness, so essentially, he's stealing a spot from someone who could be much more effective.

Bell does exactly what's asked of him, and for a pittance in pay I might add, so while Bell doesn't blow me away, he does do what Cory and the org want him to do, and for me, that's great.

As for Lee, sure, send him to Bingo next year and if he doesn't show an inkling of progress, send him to Phoenix, as they seem to be willing to take our scraps!

10Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

RobbyJ wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Lee is a 1st round flop, wont be any better than a 5, 6 D man in the NHL and he will prob be in Europe somewhere by the time he is 26.
I agree he is a 1st round bust, but I'd throw him in Bingo for a couple of years before completely giving up on the loser.

I agree. He is a loser. In my opinion we can't get rid of him soon enough. I think Bell should be here next year as our #6 guy.
Picard can rot in Bingo too, he's just as bad as Lee.

11Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:31 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:I think the best thing to do would be to try and get something of value for him or as Heater said, try to move up in the draft. Problem is, will any other team take him or has he been exposed?

How about we don't put Picard or Schubert in there? Instead, perhaps we can get a real NHL D-man? Ahhhhh!

OK, fair enough. I don't know, I think Picard will be good personally. But, of course, if we can get someone better, I'm all for it!

12Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:43 pm

I think it is a bit too early to throw him under the bus and back over him and run over him again and backup...

He is still VERY young, he has shown flashes, he has been bad too. I think he has the potential to be a nice clam passer and a solid defensive player. Will he ever live up to being a first rounder, likely not, but he has potential to play in the 4 spot I think. He needs some solid coaching and I am leary of our coaching of young defencemen in the last couple of years. Picard, Lee, Bell etc... have not flourished. Each has shown potential. If they are all busts do you blame every player or do you at least shine a light on the coach responsible for defensemen. Is it Carvel? Is it?

P.S. I think the Brendan Bell love-in is a bit premature. He has had one real good game but often he has his defence partner pulling his hair out. He is fighting for his NHL life right now on a non-playoff team so he should be having a game like last night more often (not necessarily 2 goals but the effort at both ends was way better). Can he do it as a regular?... he hasn't proven it here, Toronto or Phoenix to my knowledge.

13Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

strachattack wrote:I agree with your assessment. I haven't been happy with Lee for quite some time now. He has a bad shot, struggles to keep it in the offensive zone and is often out muscled in the defensive zone. To me he's either an add-on in some trade package or he should be in Bingo for the next couple of years. At that point reassess his progress. Right now, I feel he's taking a top-6 spot that he doesn't deserve. I would rather have Schubert back there and that's saying something. At least Schubert will throw an effective body check.

The effort just doesn't seem to be there with Lee either, since a lot of this thread is using Bell as an example, I never see Bell give up on a puck, offensive or defensive zone, Lee just seems to bail on everything, causing bad turnovers or bad decisions that luckily don't cost the team dearly. what to do with him? well, that one I can't answer, I am a fan, not a GM/coach, they would know better than me. It just seems for me that Lee is mostly floating out there, no effort at all.

14Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:I think it is a bit too early to throw him under the bus and back over him and run over him again and backup...

He is still VERY young, he has shown flashes, he has been bad too. I think he has the potential to be a nice clam passer and a solid defensive player. Will he ever live up to being a first rounder, likely not, but he has potential to play in the 4 spot I think. He needs some solid coaching and I am leary of our coaching of young defencemen in the last couple of years. Picard, Lee, Bell etc... have not flourished. Each has shown potential. If they are all busts do you blame every player or do you at least shine a light on the coach responsible for defensemen. Is it Carvel? Is it?

P.S. I think the Brendan Bell love-in is a bit premature. He has had one real good game but often he has his defence partner pulling his hair out. He is fighting for his NHL life right now on a non-playoff team so he should be having a game like last night more often (not necessarily 2 goals but the effort at both ends was way better). Can he do it as a regular?... he hasn't proven it here, Toronto or Phoenix to my knowledge.

I am of your opinion as well... And I will also add that you can see a change in his gameplay throughout the game. A few times i've noticed when he didn't do something properly or was not in position, someone on the bench talks to him, and he doesn't make that mistake again. Or he'll join the rush, or he'll pass instead of shoot. It seems as though he is willing to learn, and he does heed the advice that is given to him. Personally, this is worth something and I think adds to his potential, because he is willing to improve himself and learn.

I don't see the love for Bell either. He really is overrated. This is a guy who was not good enough to make Phoenix or Toronto's defence, and yet people want to make him a staple on ours. He does have a good shot, but he is weak, and he's slow. When Godard beat him on the outside and then overpowered him to the inside, i was floored. Here is a guy who's sole job is to fight, and he outskates and overpowers one of our defencemen. He is not good defensively. Lee has nearly twice as many hits, and blocked shots, and has fewer giveaways than Bell.

Lastly, I'd like to give Picard another chance before burying him in binghamton. Of course if something comes along at the draft i'd trade him, but he's the one defenceman who has not been given a fair chance under Clouston. He played one full game under Clouston. I think after a few games learning Clouston's style, Picard can be a prototypical Clouston player, because he has the speed, he has the body to hit, and he has a solid shot. He also doesn't take stupid penalties.

15Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Empty Re: Brian Lee - Is he good enough? Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:44 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Hey, maybe Minnesota would take him... Sarcasm they did give him the first star that game, and he played a rather typical "Brian Lee" game that night ie nothing special.

(He did score, but it was a gift as the pass he received sent the goalie sprawling to the point that he wasn't in the net anymore.)

This guy has been brutal. He's still young but I don't think you continue to play him in a Sens uni. Let him play in Bingo and get hungry. I know it looks like he doesn't even have the tools to be an effective dman, but I think there is another problem too; he needs a little bit of extra drive. Get him in Bingo trying to improve on a team where at least he has a chance of making improvements. I'm all for trading him too, but I don't think anyone will actually provide anything beyond another busted prospect for this guy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum