GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Could Murray be making a pitch for Gelinas?

+4
Montague
Cap'n Clutch
Jordo
Cronie
8 posters

If you had to choose between Glen Murray or Martin Gelinas, who would it be?

Could Murray be making a pitch for Gelinas? Vote_lcap257%Could Murray be making a pitch for Gelinas? Vote_rcap2 57% [ 4 ]
Could Murray be making a pitch for Gelinas? Vote_lcap243%Could Murray be making a pitch for Gelinas? Vote_rcap2 43% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I just had to throw this out there as there was a whisper that Murray indeed wants another forward or 'piece to the puzzel' before settling down and getting training camp underway. A lot of names have been thrown around, Glen Murray, Parrish, Sundin (I know, long shot)...However, I did hear a name that Heater and I once contemplated in a trade WAY back before the Corvo-Eaves swap with Carolina, and that's Martin Gelinas!

I was pointed in the direction of Gelina from a friend and since it appears that negotiations with Poile are going nowhere fast, it's a possibility I was told Murray is strongly considering.

However, whoever that 'mysterious' new forward could be will remain hidden until this Mezaros debacle is brought to its conclusion. I'm sure all Sens fans are hoping for a positive outcome.

What do you Sens fans think? Of all the names that have been paraded about in Internet land, which ones:

a) make the most sense cap-wise;
b) would make an impact on the Sens
c) Murray actually has a hope in hell of snagging?

Sound off Sens fans!

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cronenbergfan wrote:I just had to throw this out there as there was a whisper that Murray indeed wants another forward or 'piece to the puzzel' before settling down and getting training camp underway. A lot of names have been thrown around, Glen Murray, Parrish, Sundin (I know, long shot)...However, I did hear a name that Heater and I once contemplated in a trade WAY back before the Corvo-Eaves swap with Carolina, and that's Martin Gelinas!

I was pointed in the direction of Gelina from a friend and since it appears that negotiations with Poile are going nowhere fast, it's a possibility I was told Murray is strongly considering.

However, whoever that 'mysterious' new forward could be will remain hidden until this Mezaros debacle is brought to its conclusion. I'm sure all Sens fans are hoping for a positive outcome.

What do you Sens fans think? Of all the names that have been paraded about in Internet land, which ones:

Sound off Sens fans!

It's hard to say Cronie, I don't really want Glen Murray to be honest- but Gelinas would be a nice addition for sure.

The thing is, Gelinas is not going to get you top 6 points, he's a 3rd line player. A good 3rd line player, but we have so many depth/role players this year- with the additions we've made so far this post season, I don't really see him fitting the mould here.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jordo wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:I just had to throw this out there as there was a whisper that Murray indeed wants another forward or 'piece to the puzzel' before settling down and getting training camp underway. A lot of names have been thrown around, Glen Murray, Parrish, Sundin (I know, long shot)...However, I did hear a name that Heater and I once contemplated in a trade WAY back before the Corvo-Eaves swap with Carolina, and that's Martin Gelinas!

Sound off Sens fans!

It's hard to say Cronie, I don't really want Glen Murray to be honest- but Gelinas would be a nice addition for sure.

The thing is, Gelinas is not going to get you top 6 points, he's a 3rd line player. A good 3rd line player, but we have so many depth/role players this year- with the additions we've made so far this post season, I don't really see him fitting the mould here.

I agree. I don't really want either but beggers can't be choosers right? What else is left out there?

Montague

Montague
Prospect
Prospect

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Sound off Sens fans!

I agree. I don't really want either but beggers can't be choosers right? What else is left out there?

the way i see it is that we're not going to be in the sundin sweeps and we're a long shot for shanahan and gelinas will score about 10 to 15 goals for us. so in reality a guy like parrish or murray would be a better choice since they're both capable to score between 20 and 30 (if they stay healthy).

i know gelinas brings a lot of intangibles to the table, but we need secondary scoring - to me gelinas is another bonafide 3rd liner.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

These are all great points, and truthfully, I probably should have put more thought into my topic post before ACTUALLY posting it! LOL

Ah well, I just thought I'd throw what I heard out there because really, it's pretty much deathly-quiet in the Sens org, and as Heater and the rest of us like to say: that's usually when Murray creeps out of the darkness and strikes! Shocked!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think we need to add any more forwards. If anything, we need to drop one or two. With Vermette signing we have five legitimate top-six players. Foligno *should* be given a chance at one of the top two lines, given his performance last year and his added weight this year. If he falters we certainly have enough players that can step up if needed (Kelly player as our top-line centre a couple of seasons ago and did alright -- imagine how he'd do now, with two more seasons under his belt).

I think out top two lines are set with Alfie, Heater, Spezza, Fisher, Vermette and Foligno. I have a tougher time deciding who plays the third line versus the fourth. Kelly is pretty much a lock at third-line centre, unless you want the third line to be the bangers and agitators (Bass centering Neil and Ruutu?)

As for secondary scoring, Fisher and Vermette can each pot 20-25, as they have already proven in the past. If Vermette plays top-six minutes for a full year *and* gets more PP time, he is likely to have a career year (which means 25-30 goals). Fisher, if he stays even remotely healthy, should finally break that 25 goal barrier. Foligno should chip in with another 15. The top-three should easily get you another 110-120 goals (40-45 for Heater and 35-40 for Alfie and Spezza). I think 200 goals from the top-six is attainable, then add another 20 from the third line, and 10 from the fourth, and 25-30 from the back-end. That's 250+ goals, which I believe is conservative. Is may not be enough to challenge for the league lead, but that is not really the goal.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:These are all great points, and truthfully, I probably should have put more thought into my topic post before ACTUALLY posting it! LOL

Ah well, I just thought I'd throw what I heard out there because really, it's pretty much deathly-quiet in the Sens org, and as Heater and the rest of us like to say: that's usually when Murray creeps out of the darkness and strikes! Shocked!
Yea, I don't think we really need another Gelinas type player. I think McCammond is his equal but a little better even.

Montague wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Sound off Sens fans!

the way i see it is that we're not going to be in the sundin sweeps and we're a long shot for shanahan and gelinas will score about 10 to 15 goals for us. so in reality a guy like parrish or murray would be a better choice since they're both capable to score between 20 and 30 (if they stay healthy).

i know gelinas brings a lot of intangibles to the table, but we need secondary scoring - to me gelinas is another bonafide 3rd liner.

Quite honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Murray (at a way reduced rate) in a Sens uni. Sure he has lost a step but he can score and by ALL accounts he is a great locker room guy. I am sure if you give him PP minutes and a limited 5 on 5 role, he would be a nice fit. Yet another guy to improve character in the locker room, although I think that is done now.

Another guy I wouldn't mind stealing is Knuble, he can probably be had for a song and he is a dirty zone scorer like we don't have. Similar concerns to Murray but we have lots of youth. The odd wiley vet in the mix at forward wouldn't be a bad thing.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:

Quite honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Murray (at a way reduced rate) in a Sens uni. Sure he has lost a step but he can score and by ALL accounts he is a great locker room guy. I am sure if you give him PP minutes and a limited 5 on 5 role, he would be a nice fit. Yet another guy to improve character in the locker room, although I think that is done now.

Another guy I wouldn't mind stealing is Knuble, he can probably be had for a song and he is a dirty zone scorer like we don't have. Similar concerns to Murray but we have lots of youth. The odd wiley vet in the mix at forward wouldn't be a bad thing.

I never thought of Knuble... Interesting...

Oh, and i LOVE your avatar! :D

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

With a good handful of teams over the cap already, there could be some good players become available; hence the Murray waiting period. I really think Murray will add one more piece, otherwise he should have quite the cushion going into the deadline this year with a real shot at making a huge move.

jamvan wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

With a good handful of teams over the cap already, there could be some good players become available; hence the Murray waiting period. I really think Murray will add one more piece, otherwise he should have quite the cushion going into the deadline this year with a real shot at making a huge move.

Yeah I have been waiting for a big deadline deal for about 10 years now. I always end up saying 'Saprykn?!' 'WTF?!'. I kinda hope we use the money now and not have to go down the path of... 'we talked to a lot of teams and in the end there wasn't anything that made sense to us'

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
jamvan wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Yeah I have been waiting for a big deadline deal for about 10 years now. I always end up saying 'Saprykn?!' 'WTF?!'. I kinda hope we use the money now and not have to go down the path of... 'we talked to a lot of teams and in the end there wasn't anything that made sense to us'

I'm hoping Murray does more at deadline this year but I feel your pain as I saw Muckler and Co waste picks on useless acquisitions.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

MurderOnIce wrote:

Agreed. I would love for us to add a dirty zone scorer to compliment our 2nd line (maybe our 3rd line). Knuble and Murray fit this description a little closer than Gelinas, however I'm recalling Calgary's march to the finals during which Gelinas kept scoring game winners. I'm willing to bet his play has dropped off to a greater degree than Murray's has, so I'll side on getting Murray.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

beerandsens wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Agreed. I would love for us to add a dirty zone scorer to compliment our 2nd line (maybe our 3rd line). Knuble and Murray fit this description a little closer than Gelinas, however I'm recalling Calgary's march to the finals during which Gelinas kept scoring game winners. I'm willing to bet his play has dropped off to a greater degree than Murray's has, so I'll side on getting Murray.

I'd love to pick someone up to bolster our third line. Earlier (probably in another thread or another site) I said that I'd like the third line to be where you put your future stars, instead of burying them on the fourth line. Getting a veteran with good hands would be of most benefit there. However you can't have a $2M+ player on the third line for a full season. So my preference would be to get Murray or someone similar at the deadline, play them primarily on the third line with the rooks, promote him to the top-six to give one of those a well-needed rest heading into the playoffs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:

This is a good point too. There are some teams that need to make moves. He could be sitting there waiting for a team to come to him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum