GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burke to TO official

+6
beedub
Cronie
shabbs
rooneypoo
smash88
COLLAR UP
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:39 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I don't know how he'll do. He has an infinite amount of money to operate a team now. A bunch of young players who he really won't care about axing. And only has to report to the CEO of MLSE. Autonomy + money = very interesting position.

REVISE: "Autonomy + money [+ salary cap] = a very interesting [and potentially disastrous] position."

If one thing has become clear about Burke in the post-cap NHL, it's that he can't manage a cap very well. People will point to the Selanne and Niedermayer situations as unique, but there's more to it than that. This guy lost a boatload of talent over his tenure, largely because he didn't anticipate people taking advantage of the full implications of the new CBA, or because he didn't manage the team's finances properly: Penner (although that one's looking better), Bryzgalov, Macdonald, Schneider, O'Donnell. And let's not forget the Bertuzzi signing. And the Morrison signing. And the fact that over 2/3rds of ANA's current roster will be UFA after this year. And the fact that Bobby Ryan is their only decent prospect in the system right now...

17Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:23 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How many UFAs does Anaheim have that will bolt next year? Quite a few. I think Burke got out while he could... knowing it was all going to go downhill out there.

18Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:45 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Let the fire sale begin.... a lot of Leafs should be watching their backs right now.

He's going to put a lot of pressure on a few players to waive their NTC's me thinks.

A lot of team would love to have Kaberle and /or Kubina right now... especially with the Bouwmeester bidding wars, this could put Martin in a bind with the competition.

19Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:09 pm

As someone who has seen a Burke regime first-hand, he is not the hockey man he is made out to be imo. His questionable draft history speaks for itself, besides drafting the Sedins (which at the time and for awhile afterwards) I, like many fans, were extremely opposed to Burke waisting our pick(s) on them. They have turned themselves into players now, but other than them, the only other player on our roster that Burke drafted having an impact for us is Ryan Kesler (by the way great pick Burke.) Other than that, his questionable hockey scouting skills are overshadowed by his winning of a Stanley Cup in Anaheim. He isn't the right man for this job, and the Leafs have paid him an exorbidant amount of money to do so. Along with being one of the most arrogant men in hockey, there is a part of me that just wants to see Burke crash and burn in T.O., because at the end of the day, he has been the "one" that the Leafs have been after for over a year, and being the saviour for a team that has its work cut out for it, to say the least, will be an almost impossible situation for Mr.Burke

20Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:30 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

vancanuck1 wrote:As someone who has seen a Burke regime first-hand, he is not the hockey man he is made out to be imo. His questionable draft history speaks for itself, besides drafting the Sedins (which at the time and for awhile afterwards) I, like many fans, were extremely opposed to Burke waisting our pick(s) on them. They have turned themselves into players now, but other than them, the only other player on our roster that Burke drafted having an impact for us is Ryan Kesler (by the way great pick Burke.) Other than that, his questionable hockey scouting skills are overshadowed by his winning of a Stanley Cup in Anaheim. He isn't the right man for this job, and the Leafs have paid him an exorbidant amount of money to do so. Along with being one of the most arrogant men in hockey, there is a part of me that just wants to see Burke crash and burn in T.O., because at the end of the day, he has been the "one" that the Leafs have been after for over a year, and being the saviour for a team that has its work cut out for it, to say the least, will be an almost impossible situation for Mr.Burke

Pretty much re-hashing what everyone on this forum already suspects. I just don't think he's that good of a GM. Sure, the Ducks won a Stanley Cup, but most of the pieces were already in place for him.

21Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:17 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Point to Ponder:

If Burke's MO is to rape and pillage the farm for one shot at The Cup, what does he do when there is no farm?

EDIT: to clarify so as not to seem redundant (and also to not repeat myself Razz ) - in Anaheim, and in Vancouver, he could work because he traded away the future (probably knowing he wouldn't stay that long). How deep is TO's farm, and other than trading away firsts, what do they really have of value? I ask, because I wonder if this gives him his built in "excuse" when he fails (which he will).

22Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:08 am

Acrobat wrote:Point to Ponder:

If Burke's MO is to rape and pillage the farm for one shot at The Cup, what does he do when there is no farm?

EDIT: to clarify so as not to seem redundant (and also to not repeat myself Razz ) - in Anaheim, and in Vancouver, he could work because he traded away the future (probably knowing he wouldn't stay that long). How deep is TO's farm, and other than trading away firsts, what do they really have of value? I ask, because I wonder if this gives him his built in "excuse" when he fails (which he will).
...Schenn :pale:

23Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:14 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Isn't that like trading a Ferrari for a Miata?
Burke wouldn't...would he?

Can we get Schenn out of there? (we can send Vermette if he wants)

24Burke to TO official - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke to TO official Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:16 am

Acrobat wrote:Isn't that like trading a Ferrari for a Miata?
Burke wouldn't...would he?

Can we get Schenn out of there? (we can send Vermette if he wants)
to any person with an IQ higher than a squirrel(no offense SF56) would believe that, but this is Burke we are talking about.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum