GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burke to TO official

+6
beedub
Cronie
shabbs
rooneypoo
smash88
COLLAR UP
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Burke to TO official Empty Burke to TO official Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:00 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

Sportsnet is reporting that Burke has signed a 6 year 18 mil deal with TO...

2Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:01 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Wow...

3Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:22 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

HAHA, f'ing beautiful. And they thought TO was a mess after 3 short years of JFJ. Wait 'till Burkie's done with it!

4Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:09 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So... Burke reports to Peddie... who reports to the Board... nothing's changed.

5Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Meh, w/e, word is he is going to blow this team right up.

6Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:09 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:HAHA, f'ing beautiful. And they thought TO was a mess after 3 short years of JFJ. Wait 'till Burkie's done with it!

Bang on dude...

I swear, I cannot figure out why so many people have such praise for the man?!?!
I have to agree though. If Leaf fans were ready to lynch JFJ, I can't WAIT to see what goes down in 2-3 years!

7Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:17 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

While I really don't care for Brian Burke, I can't help but think he's a massive improvement over JFJ. Huge. I think he'll be good for the Leafs. Don't be surprised to see Chris Pronger in the blue shirt summer 2009

8Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:18 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oh dear god. Pronger, in a blue and white shirt?!?! f**K!!!

9Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:19 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:HAHA, f'ing beautiful. And they thought TO was a mess after 3 short years of JFJ. Wait 'till Burkie's done with it!

What, you mean Burke doesn't have Scott Neidermeyer's brother playing for the Leafs in order to entice him to come to Toronto? Doesn't he have a team with a digruntled superstar D that is willing to send him to TO for scraps? Surely he has a good solid base of picks, prospects and solid NHLers to work from previous GMs right? Oh wait that was Anaheim LOL.

- Unknown Author

10Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:28 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

What, you mean Burke doesn't have Scott Neidermeyer's brother playing for the Leafs in order to entice him to come to Toronto? Doesn't he have a team with a digruntled superstar D that is willing to send him to TO for scraps? Surely he has a good solid base of picks, prospects and solid NHLers to work from previous GMs right? Oh wait that was Anaheim LOL.

LOL! Well put!

See, while this Toronto team doesn't SUCK, they sure aren't the Anaheim team Murray gift-wrapped for Burke, so I for one am REALLY interested to see what Burke does when he has to do all the work FROM SCRATCH!! Personally, I think he's going to fail and I'll put $20 into the pot RIGHT Now and say he will NOT finish his 6 year contract before being canned...

11Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:35 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

LOL! Well put!

See, while this Toronto team doesn't SUCK, they sure aren't the Anaheim team Murray gift-wrapped for Burke, so I for one am REALLY interested to see what Burke does when he has to do all the work FROM SCRATCH!! Personally, I think he's going to fail and I'll put $20 into the pot RIGHT Now and say he will NOT finish his 6 year contract before being canned...

I'll throw a Fighting Montagoose hat in to the pot :D

- Unknown Author

12Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:29 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know how he'll do. He has an infinite amount of money to operate a team now. A bunch of young players who he really won't care about axing. And only has to report to the CEO of MLSE. Autonomy + money = very interesting position.

13Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:39 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I don't know how he'll do. He has an infinite amount of money to operate a team now. A bunch of young players who he really won't care about axing. And only has to report to the CEO of MLSE. Autonomy + money = very interesting position.

REVISE: "Autonomy + money [+ salary cap] = a very interesting [and potentially disastrous] position."

If one thing has become clear about Burke in the post-cap NHL, it's that he can't manage a cap very well. People will point to the Selanne and Niedermayer situations as unique, but there's more to it than that. This guy lost a boatload of talent over his tenure, largely because he didn't anticipate people taking advantage of the full implications of the new CBA, or because he didn't manage the team's finances properly: Penner (although that one's looking better), Bryzgalov, Macdonald, Schneider, O'Donnell. And let's not forget the Bertuzzi signing. And the Morrison signing. And the fact that over 2/3rds of ANA's current roster will be UFA after this year. And the fact that Bobby Ryan is their only decent prospect in the system right now...

14Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How many UFAs does Anaheim have that will bolt next year? Quite a few. I think Burke got out while he could... knowing it was all going to go downhill out there.

15Burke to TO official Empty Re: Burke to TO official Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:45 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Let the fire sale begin.... a lot of Leafs should be watching their backs right now.

He's going to put a lot of pressure on a few players to waive their NTC's me thinks.

A lot of team would love to have Kaberle and /or Kubina right now... especially with the Bouwmeester bidding wars, this could put Martin in a bind with the competition.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum