GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+3
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
wprager
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 30]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

OK, we've got to discuss the Leafs. I'm so conflicted on this. Initially I thought Shanahan was being an uber-bunghole -- not only did he, essentially, fire Dubas, but he made sure to mention how Dubas decided he still wanted the job; was it really necessary to mention that? Just say they decided unilaterally to not bring him back or that it was a mutual decision. Let Dubas say he wanted to come back, or let him save face by saying his family decision was to not come back or whatever. But then I re-read what Shanahan said -- basically they offered Dubas a contract before his presser when he said he had to discuss with his family. When I first heard that I thought there's no way, in this business, you want a GM who prioritizes family/stress over running a franchise like the Maple Leafs (say those things behind close doors all you want but don't let it get around). But on top of that, when he finally said (through his agent) that he was coming back, he asked for a bigger salary than was already in the contract they had offered. Honestly, I can't blame Shanahan for saying Eff-off! Keefe *must be* next on the list. I see no way that he survives this.

All that said, this leaves the Leafs in a terrible situation 5 weeks before the draft.

And I still find it hard to believe that Shanahan has not been fired yet.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Penguins will seek permission to speak to Dubas. As far as I am concerned they can have Boy Blunder.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Dubas talking about how stressful being a GM of the Maple Leafs has been on his family and him and how he wasn't sure yet about his decision -- saying all this in front of a National audience, was very reminiscent of Jerry Maguire's "mission statement". While that could be "how you become great, man, hang your balls out there" it's also how you get fired in a very ruthless business. Roger Nielsen lost his job because he got cancer without consulting Clarkie first. You think prioritizing your family's stress level over a GM position is more forgivable?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How did I miss this???

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
ยท
May 19
For those wondering where all this leaves Jason Spezza, hearing that he tendered his resignation from the Leafs prior to Brendan Shanahan's news conference today.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So do we see Dubas as GM, Spezza as A/GM and Pierre as POHO?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So do we see Dubas as GM, Spezza as A/GM and Pierre as POHO?

No, because that freezes Alfie out Smile

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not sure if I can get excited until DJ is gone (or they start 15-0).

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I really don’t know that I would want Dubas as a GM. I don’t think he did a good job in Toronto.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

For all we know Shanahan was his Melnyk. Probably not but could be.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Apparently Shanny wants to bring the Core Four back. Insanity prevails

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Core Fore.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I wonder if part of the tension between Dubas and Shanahan had to do with the Core Fore. It is entirely possible that Dubas wanted to break them up and Shanahan disagreed. I guess we'll see which way this goes.

Remember that it was Shanahan who promoted Dubas and let Lou go. It's very possible that Shanahan and Lamoriello were both Alfa and Shanahan replaced Lou with Dubas thinking he would not challenge his authority as much as I'm sure Lou would have.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Agreed. Shanny may be the problem here

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Treliving to Toronto. He single handedly destroyed the Flames in one off-season. Can't wait to see what he does in Toronto Ahhhhh!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Treliving to Toronto. He single handedly destroyed the Flames in one off-season. Can't wait to see what he does in Toronto Ahhhhh!

He had lots of help from Sutter.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Pretty sure Sutter was his hire ?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Pretty sure Sutter was his hire ?

GMs make mistakes hiring coaches -- we Sens fans, of all people, should know this.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Love the Flyers trade. Good haul. I haven't lost hope on Peterson personally

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 30]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum