GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Troubleshooting wired internet connection issues

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've got a small 4-port switch which I've connected to one of the LAN ports on the Bell HomeHub. From the switch I then have connections to outlets near the basement tv, my daughter's bedroom and the computer nook/home office (all in the basement). The wiring for this was installed by the contractors when they were finishing the basement.

My daughter likely never uses her wall ethernet port, so I don't know if that one works solidly or not. The one near the TV I'm using to plug in an old Apple TV unit, and the kids have complained that, from time to time, they have trouble getting to Netflix. The third outlet is the one I'm using right now, with my desktop PC. On this one the connection drops periodically, and I typically recover it by unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it back in again. It happens probably 2-3 times per hour. Usually when I come downstairs the PC internet connection is up, so that implies that when it drops it eventually recovers, even without me unplugging and re-plugging the ethernet cable.

I've tried various suggestions like changing the cable (just the part that goes from my PC to the wall plug, not the one from the switch to the wall), plugging it in a different port on the switch, disabling some energy saving advanced options in the Ethernet controller advanced settings.

I also checked the event logs to see if anything popped up, but nothing.

It is quite possible that it's the switch itself -- a very inexpensive TP-Link switch. I have zero experience with these things -- my understanding was that they are so brain-dead simple that they would rarely result in an intermittent problem like this. But maybe that's not the case.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Networking problems can be a pain in the butt to troubleshoot. If it's ONLY devices that are getting their internet through the switch that are having problems, I would try replacing the switch first. They're really cheap. I've been using one in my basement for 10+ years with zero problems.

The problem could also be something in the interface between the Bell hub and the switch...maybe they just don't play nicely. Try a D-Link or other brand for your next switch.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That reminds me, I still haven't called Bell. I'm now paying full price (since the 2 year contract expired a month ago), paying for a PVR that had been unable to connect for nearly 2 weeks. I can only watch hockey downstairs or in my phone (upstairs tv has a Roku which the Fibe app can't cast to, and the STB is the aforementioned PVR). And 4 kids icy the main tv most of the day. Than goodness I get up early but then it's just replays. September can't come soon enough (2 are off to McGill).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't even want to know how much you're paying Bell.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum