GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not again!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not again! Empty Not again! Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Three confirmed fatalities as a double decker slams into the cement shelter at the Westboro transitway station. Two people on the bus and another waiting at the stop.

My kid knows someone whose sister was on the bus (minor bumps and bruises). He said this bus never stops there, so it was in the outside lane going at highway speed. Swerved to avoid a jaywalker crossing the effing transitway.

2Not again! Empty Re: Not again! Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Some people sitting on the second level up-front were thrown through the windshield and then we're run over by the bus.

Some of the survivors are very seriously injured. The number could go up.

3Not again! Empty Re: Not again! Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have not seen anything about a jaywalker. If that was the case why would the driver be detained based on certain factors

4Not again! Empty Re: Not again! Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

She was almost absolutely speeding. I rode the bus when I worked downtown and they treat the transitway like a little probate highway. There were plenty of cases with someone would ring the bell just before a station and the driver was going easy too fast to stop so they kept going. The guy who rang too late would have to double back from the next stop.

I've seen way too many drivers who drive too fast or recklessly. Both as a passenger and as another driver on the road. I don't know what training they receive but either the training or the test is not rigorous enough. There are good and bad drivers out there, but you would think those who are doing it professionally are better, overall. I'm not sure that's the case.

None of that, of course, is really relevant to this case. It's just that this is the second major situation in a little over 6 years, and there have been many smaller ones along the way. There were at least two cases last year of pedestrians struck by an OCTranspo bus. A woman was stuck and killed late in 2014. There was a report of the City spending $1.4M to settle a case and at the time they reported how they keep this information confidential. So it makes me wonder how many other smaller incidents aren't even reported.

5Not again! Empty Re: Not again! Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:24 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The bus driver was questioned and unconditionally released. They won't go into it other to say they were following procedure. So there was something at the scene to cause the police officer in charge detain her but now that's been resolved after she was questioned.

6Not again! Empty Re: Not again! Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Three confirmed fatalities as a double decker slams into the cement shelter at the Westboro transitway station. Two people on the bus and another waiting at the stop.

My kid knows someone whose sister was on the bus (minor bumps and bruises). He said this bus never stops there, so it was in the outside lane going at highway speed. Swerved to avoid a jaywalker crossing the effing transitway.

Last report I saw said 1 of the fatalities was a person waiting at the transit stop. The other two were passengers on the bus.

- Unknown Author

7Not again! Empty Re: Not again! Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Isn't that exactly what I wrote?

Two people on the bus and another waiting at the stop.

8Not again! Empty Re: Not again! Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The posted speed limit in the stop areas is 50. From personal experience when I worked off Sussex the buses get to 80 or more and cruises are that speed unless it has to make a stop. People often missed their stops when they pulled the stop line too late. If they were slowing down to 50 that would never happen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum