GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Laptop won't connect to new router

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Laptop won't connect to new router Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In a nutshell I bought a new router because the old one was causing problems. I set everything up and it appeared fine - I used the same username and password and iPhone and tablet are fine, but when I try to connect with laptop it has a red x and says the information has changed and the router can't be accessed.

I'm not sure how to fix. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks

2Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You may need to forget the old network if it's the same and re-add it as new.

3Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Did you configure the new router with the same SSID, security settings and password -- if yes, then do what Shabbs suggested and "forget" or delete the old configuration in the laptop's Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks.

Was your laptop configured with a fixed IP address (in the 192.x.x.x range, not a static IP from the internet provider) -- if yes, the new router doesn't know that and may have granted that IP address to another device. If you had a static IP from the service provide then I have no idea how that works (does that mean you have to map the local IP to the static IP on the router?)

4Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ill try to delete it completely. I think the router had a new IP address that the laptop doesn't know or see yet for some reason. I'll do as you suggested and hope it finally recognizes it.

5Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:01 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why you suggested worked but now it's super slow and mostly just hangs up. The connection is only fair to good, where before it was excellent I think. Is there a reason?

6Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What router did you get?

7Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:45 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

if it's that Rogers black combo router/modem it is turrible

8Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:36 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I find that a lot of the "new" routers suck in general these days. The 5GHz ones seem so unstable. I've totally given up on Linksys as their products have gone to Dung!

The only router I'd recommend these days is the ASUS "Dark Knight" RT-N66U. Rock solid.

9Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:What router did you get?

A standard tp link. It might be defective. I'm trying again this morning.

10Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I find that a lot of the "new" routers suck in general these days. The 5GHz ones seem so unstable. I've totally given up on Linksys as their products have gone to Dung!

The only router I'd recommend these days is the ASUS "Dark Knight" RT-N66U. Rock solid.

I had an ASUS RT-N65U and it was terrible, the 2.4GHz was very unstable and would just stop randomly stop working, 5GHz was fine. The router was otherwise great and lots of features(more so with custom firmware).

I just got a Netgear and that worked solid out of the box, no issues.

11Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't mind the Cisco/Linksys one I got other than I should have gone for the next model number up (this one was recommended to me but it didn't have some of the more advanced features I would've liked to have).

Right now it's sitting collecting dust as I'm using the one supplied by Bell. It's not exactly straightforward to use my own router as it was with Rogers; I found instructions but haven't been bothered enough yet. And a CSR told me a new one was coming in June.

12Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I find the newer Linksys/Cisco/Belkin ones need a reboot every few days. This seems to be "the norm" that people expect now days, especially with these new AC routers. My RT-N66U... set it and forget it. Rock solid and the range on the wireless is unbelievable. I can check the mailbox two houses away and still be connected to my wifi. Insane range.

13Laptop won't connect to new router Empty Re: Laptop won't connect to new router Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:17 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Of all the dumb things, there's a link up button hidden away on the bottom of the machine that I had to press. So dumb, they never mention it, diagnostics said the LAN cable wasn't plugged in - otherwise everything was fine. Had to go into forums to find that out. Makes no sense they wouldn't tell you that, what a waste of time. But...I got it working, so I guess that's the main thing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum