GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ice Storm 2013

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ice Storm 2013 Empty Ice Storm 2013 Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:47 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well this has been a fun weekend. Major ice storm moves in causing massive damage across the city. We lost power this morning and got it back just recently. I spent several hours today chipping the ice on our walk way, drive way and side walk. It was over an inch thick in some places. It's pretty crazy. Lots of downed trees in the neighbourhood. We've lost our huge olive tree in the back yard. Very sad to see. They are calling for winds tonight... this could get worse before it gets better. Ugh.

2Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sounds like the one we had in this neck of the woods back in 1998.

- Unknown Author

3Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:19 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sounds like the one we had in this neck of the woods back in 1998.
I was living in Ottawa for that one. This is very comparable for sure. I was in Sandy Hill at the time. We never lost power then and had an Ice Storm party at our place. Heh heh. One of the massive trees fell on our house and did a bit of damage but nothing too serious.

4Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We got off easy (in Ottawa, or at least in the west end). This morning I'm reading tweets about 15 cm of snow and now the freezing rain, look at my driveway and see nothing but snow. Had to shovel about 20 minutes just to get out and leave my wife room to get out, too, then went to my daughter's practice -- their first full-ice and only 6 or 7 girls showed up. Anyhow, the freezing rain started about 8 and basically continued all day. Because of all the snow on the ground we never had ice except on the car -- had to scrape it 3 or 4 times.

5Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some pics I took this weekend... was quite pretty out there... but dangerous...

Ice Storm 2013 11479809276_33d7888951_z

Ice Storm 2013 11502692416_4a504d57a1_z

Ice Storm 2013 11502750586_e35061c014_z

Ice Storm 2013 11502626083_839b61e1ec_z

Ice Storm 2013 11502779854_af0d4f879f_z

6Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:03 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nice pics. That's a lot of ice. Heard on the radio this morning it might still be a couple more days for power to be fully restored to some folks...and their are currently 250,000 without power. That blows, especially for Christmas.

7Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:08 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, we got power back but some in Toronto won't get it back until Friday it looks like. Wow.

8Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:25 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sounds like the one we had in this neck of the woods back in 1998.
I was living in Ottawa for that one. This is very comparable for sure. I was in Sandy Hill at the time. We never lost power then and had an Ice Storm party at our place. Heh heh. One of the massive trees fell on our house and did a bit of damage but nothing too serious.

I was living on Summerville in '98 and a massive tree split down the middle with half of it resting on our power lines.  Thankfully we only suffered brown outs as they repaired lines in the area but, I do remember a fire crew yelling at me because it was somehow my responsibility to get this tree off the power line.

1 - Not my tree it was a neighbour's tree.
2 - I was renting the town home.

Also, as for the ice storm of '98 they called in the army and some people were without power for several days. I think it hit the Cornwall area the hardest and had a profound effect on the forests in the area. I remember reading about a University student starting their Masters Degree with the devistation being their main subject of their thesis.

- Unknown Author

9Ice Storm 2013 Empty Re: Ice Storm 2013 Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That first pic with the leaf stuck in the ice is perfect. Submit it, somewhere.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum