GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Suggestion

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Suggestion Empty Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Ok, so I haven't spent much time here, but with the collapse of HB, I would like to be here more often. My one beef is that there are way too many sections for Sens talk. Member breaking stories, News, then a team page in the around the league section. Not to mention the hockey talkie section. It's a bit overwhelming.

In my opinion, it could be streamlined. Thoughts?

2Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hemlock, I had the same "issue" but just didn't know how to put it into words. Basically, on the HTR site, being a Sens fan and all, most of the time I had just one thread to follow (sometimes just one per month 8) ). It was easy. Also, over there, once you posted to a thread (topic) you were automatically "subscribed" to it, meaning there was one place (your subscribed topics) you could go to see all threads you were interested in with new replies. You still had to keep up on new ones, of course.

3Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:52 pm

wprager wrote:Hemlock, I had the same "issue" but just didn't know how to put it into words. Basically, on the HTR site, being a Sens fan and all, most of the time I had just one thread to follow (sometimes just one per month 8) ). It was easy. Also, over there, once you posted to a thread (topic) you were automatically "subscribed" to it, meaning there was one place (your subscribed topics) you could go to see all threads you were interested in with new replies. You still had to keep up on new ones, of course.
can't you just go to the "my posts"?

4Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's a good point, I think at one point we were going to try to have like a 'lounge' to talk about any and all of the topics at any point - the point for me of that was, if I wanted to chat about something, I wanted to know that the people on the site were around.

We will absolutely look into it, we need feedback as much as possible to make the site as user friendly as possible.

5Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think sometimes it's confusing where to talk about what. Sens Prospects... in the Prospects forum or the Sens forum? Sens rumours - in the Rumour Chat or the Sens forum? There's two breaking news forums... of which only certain people can post in one. This can create a duplication sometimes.

I'd like to see a non-hockey general discussion area for anything non-hockey related.

Perhaps just a bit of consolidation is needed.

I know people do like to see the threads they're subscribed to (ie: have posted in) right off the bat to see what else has been added. there is a Watched Topics area that shows that list. Not sure if you can default it to be the first one you see.

I dunno. Just my $0.02.

6Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tukker wrote:
can't you just go to the "my posts"?

What's "my posts"? If it's just the search results for all of my posts (even if it is displayed as threads and filtered for duplicates) then it still won't give me the same functionality as "Watched Topics". That interface shows you the ones with new posts since the last time you visited the site, which is exactly what I want. It's also not terribly difficult to subscribe to a particular topic, but it takes you away from the topic itself (and to the "Watched topics" page) so it's an inconvenience.

I am on quite a few message boards, and most (all?) of them automatically "subscribe" you to a topic once you post to it. That's what happens on HTR, and all I had to do was keep track of whenever Kevin posted a new blog. The rest of the time I just went to one place, and it showed (highlighted) all the watched topics with new posts.

7Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:53 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:What's "my posts"? If it's just the search results for all of my posts (even if it is displayed as threads and filtered for duplicates) then it still won't give me the same functionality as "Watched Topics". That interface shows you the ones with new posts since the last time you visited the site, which is exactly what I want. It's also not terribly difficult to subscribe to a particular topic, but it takes you away from the topic itself (and to the "Watched topics" page) so it's an inconvenience.

I am on quite a few message boards, and most (all?) of them automatically "subscribe" you to a topic once you post to it. That's what happens on HTR, and all I had to do was keep track of whenever Kevin posted a new blog. The rest of the time I just went to one place, and it showed (highlighted) all the watched topics with new posts.
Under your Profile there's a tab called "Watched Topics" which does this. But I don't think it can be set as a default starting point.

8Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Under your Profile there's a tab called "Watched Topics" which does this. But I don't think it can be set as a default starting point.

yeah, I know about that one, and I can bookmark it for easy access. Problem is you have to manually "subscribe" to each thread. And with the number of threads we seem to have here that's more than a bit of a nuisance.

9Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock34 wrote:Ok, so I haven't spent much time here, but with the collapse of HB, I would like to be here more often. My one beef is that there are way too many sections for Sens talk. Member breaking stories, News, then a team page in the around the league section. Not to mention the hockey talkie section. It's a bit overwhelming.

In my opinion, it could be streamlined. Thoughts?

It's a good idea and If Heater and Cronie are on board I begin a merging of topics and forums to try to shrink this down a bit.

What are everyone's thoughts on deleting or at least locking some old and irrelevant topics such as the one about whether or not you think Meszaros is being traded or not or things of that nature?

- Unknown Author

10Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:34 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

OK I've done some streamlining. Nothing deleted as of yet. Hockey Talkie is now merged and is just called The Fighting Montagoose and Fantasy GM is merged with GM Central - Home for the Armchair GM.

I would still like thoughts on cleaning up old irrelevant topics?

- Unknown Author

11Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:45 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Old topics were relevant at one time... and serve as part of the history of this site. Unless you guys are "running out of space" I'd like to see all topics kept around. Perhaps archive stuff that is a year old etc... and put it in an "archive" section. This is common practice among discussion boards.

12Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:53 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

You guys need another recruiting spree. Bring the membership up to say 200?

13Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:56 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

As for suggestions for the layout, I'd like to see the "Around the forums in 30 teams" expanded. I think the bulk of all discussions should go on in there -- anything team related, except for trade rumors and general hockey talk.

Maybe even create subforums for each division, and then expand the links under each division and team.

14Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:56 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Another suggestion would be to take stories from "This Just In" and "Members Story Breakers" and move them to their appropriate team forums after a week or so once they've become old news.

15Suggestion Empty Re: Suggestion Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:You guys need another recruiting spree. Bring the membership up to say 200?

Yes we do. As painful as it is, it's worth it in the long run.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum