GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

+13
Flo The Action
Amnesia021
dennycrane
Ev
Hoags
Riprock
PTFlea
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
spader
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 15]

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400969

HOLY CRAP! Ahhhhh!

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ahhhhh!

Holmgren actually did Poile a favour in my opinion.

There is NO CHANCE in my opinion that Poile doesn't match. Four firsts from Philly? Big deal...they are a playoff team every year. By matching, even if Weber truly wanted out of Nashville, they have a year to trade him, with a nice contract (cap hit, not term), since the rules about offer sheets prohibit Nashville from trading him for at least one year. I really wonder about a NMC. Does the deal include one? Do the Preds have to honour it, since they didn't negotiate it?

Last edited by hemlock on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Also, am I the only one breathing a sigh of relief that Karlsson signed before July 1?

Seriously, had he not, we'd have had to match a 12 year $102 million deal by now. Ahhhhh!

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:Also, am I the only one breathing a sigh of relief that Karlsson signed before July 1?

Seriously, had he not, we'd have had to match a 12 year $102 million deal by now. Ahhhhh!

Agreed.

Diddle, these deals are getting out of control. How can the owners face each other and still present their demands to the NHLPA? The problem is these contracts.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Someone should offer Del Zotto an offer sheet. 22 years, $125 million. No, that's silly. 34 years, $150 million. That's under $4.5 mil a year. A steal! He had 41 points last season!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Does the team have to match the term? I thought it would be more like arbitration, where it's 1 or 2 year term. Making a team have to match not only the salary but the term as well is crazy. Or at the very least they should limit the allowable term on an offer sheet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bieksa's take:

Kevin Bieksa ‏@kbieksa3

#Weber #offersheet @Ryan_Kesler Now that's an offer sheet Kes! Makes yours look like 2 three year olds bartering for the red lego...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This smells like a Holmgren move to keep Weber in the West. Preds have no choice but to sign. I'm curious as to how front loaded this deal is. Wow.

shabbs wrote:This smells like a Holmgren move to keep Weber in the West. Preds have no choice but to sign. I'm curious as to how front loaded this deal is. Wow.

It gives Poile the perfect out too. Now he can justify the huge contract saying he had no choice while otherwise crying poor. He no doubt would have learned that trick really well while Craig Leopold owned the team. Rolling Eyes

wprager wrote:Does the team have to match the term? I thought it would be more like arbitration, where it's 1 or 2 year term. Making a team have to match not only the salary but the term as well is crazy. Or at the very least they should limit the allowable term on an offer sheet.

They have to match the contract as is, I believe. Otherwise they aren't really matching it, are they?

I would bet money that contract term length gets capped in this next CBA. Otherwise, you might as well continue to let the alcoholics hold the keys to the liquor cabinet.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:This smells like a Holmgren move to keep Weber in the West. Preds have no choice but to sign. I'm curious as to how front loaded this deal is. Wow.

It gives Poile the perfect out too. Now he can justify the huge contract saying he had no choice while otherwise crying poor. He no doubt would have learned that trick really well while Craig Leopold owned the team. Rolling Eyes

Like you said, Philly did NSH a favour. If Weber wanted to sign in Nashville, he would have done so by now. The opportunity to match an offer sheet takes Weber's reluctance out of the equation.

I would hope that Bryan Murray would be smart enough to reach out to Poile and suggest that if money is the issue, he would be willing to trade for Weber once they match thus spiting the Flyers in the process.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well, technically Nashville has every right to match that offer... it's not like he "didn't sign" in Nashville. He could be a Pred for life after this.. I don't think he will but I think people saying he doesn't want to be in Nashville are not looking at the big picture.

He wanted to get paid before the new CBA, simple as that.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Well, technically Nashville has every right to match that offer... it's not like he "didn't sign" in Nashville. He could be a Pred for life after this.. I don't think he will but I think people saying he doesn't want to be in Nashville are not looking at the big picture.

He wanted to get paid before the new CBA, simple as that.

That's what I said. And based on the fact that he was unsigned, I would have to say that he didn't sign.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy Dung....I go out for a while and this happens?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 15]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum