GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the best software/site/whatever to download movies and shows?

+6
wprager
Riprock
SensHulk
The Silfer Server
shabbs
Ev
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

You're not with Rogers. I got same e-mail once (maybe twice Sarcasm ).

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

www.thepiratebay.org

I hear it's good.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:You're not with Rogers. I got same e-mail once (maybe twice Sarcasm ).
I am with Rogers... and you should know that based on my IP/host name. Wink

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

When you torrent, use an IP blocker or else you get those emails.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't use an IP blocker, and I never get those emails, but I'm with TekSavvy.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't use an IP blocker either... but I am also not using Roger's DNS servers... I use OpenDNS. Not sure if that is a factor.

shabbs wrote:
Big Ev wrote:last time I downloaded a torrent, the main e-mail of the house (the Rogers account) got an e-mail saying it is illegal to do that and we may deactivate your account if it continues, or something to that effect...will that happen if I use one of these sites?
That's interesting... I've never received an email or notification like that... and I've download 100's of gigs of movies from isohunt.com and others.

Downloading a torrent is only illegal if the content of the torrent is illegal. Many software projects distribute their free apps via torrent sites, which is perfectly legal.

I use uTorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/

Good torrent client.

If you are going to use torrents, I suggest investing in a seedbox. They are cheap ($15 a month for unlimited bandwidth for example). Be careful though, there are some shady websites (you don't get what you pay for). They are some real good ones though. $15 a month may sound pricely, but it's only really roughly double what nextflix is, and you can be watching tv shows, for example, within minutes of airtime. Suck on that, netflix. Add this to the fact that virtually everything (ebooks, movies, apps, games, ornpay Wink) are all freely available.)

The benefit to this is that you never actually have to use Utorrent, or upload anything. The seedbox does all that, and you just download what you will use for yourself via http/ftp. You can seed practically unlimited (which leads to no ratio issues, which is great on private, better torrent sites) without ever having to upload a byte using your ISP's bandwidth (which is what leads to these letters).

Technically, torrents are not illegal, but ISP's like Rogers look for "abusive" users, meaning people who seed alot, and it's not in their best interests to let you pummel their servers by seeding 24/7, so you get a cease letter.

Ev, I *might* "know a guy" who could point you in the direction of a good seedbox service (which isn't illegal either since torrenting isn't). Pm me and I'll steer you proper.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Big Ev wrote:last time I downloaded a torrent, the main e-mail of the house (the Rogers account) got an e-mail saying it is illegal to do that and we may deactivate your account if it continues, or something to that effect...will that happen if I use one of these sites?
That's interesting... I've never received an email or notification like that... and I've download 100's of gigs of movies from isohunt.com and others.

Downloading a torrent is only illegal if the content of the torrent is illegal. Many software projects distribute their free apps via torrent sites, which is perfectly legal.

I use uTorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/

Good torrent client.

If you are going to use torrents, I suggest investing in a seedbox. They are cheap ($15 a month for unlimited bandwidth for example). Be careful though, there are some shady websites (you don't get what you pay for). They are some real good ones though. $15 a month may sound pricely, but it's only really roughly double what nextflix is, and you can be watching tv shows, for example, within minutes of airtime. Suck on that, netflix. Add this to the fact that virtually everything (ebooks, movies, apps, games, ornpay Wink) are all freely available.)

The benefit to this is that you never actually have to use Utorrent, or upload anything. The seedbox does all that, and you just download what you will use for yourself via http/ftp. You can seed practically unlimited (which leads to no ratio issues, which is great on private, better torrent sites) without ever having to upload a byte using your ISP's bandwidth (which is what leads to these letters).

Technically, torrents are not illegal, but ISP's like Rogers look for "abusive" users, meaning people who seed alot, and it's not in their best interests to let you pummel their servers by seeding 24/7, so you get a cease letter.

Ev, I *might* "know a guy" who could point you in the direction of a good seedbox service (which isn't illegal either since torrenting isn't). Pm me and I'll steer you proper.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks the help, but I'll just stick to the free sites for now.

On a side not, why does it take 7+ hours to download 1 tv show from icefilms?!?!?!?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It doesn't for me. I download GOT in like an hr at most.

Riprock wrote:It doesn't for me. I download GOT in like an hr at most.

An hour. It doesn't make sense to spend more time downloading something than it does it watch it imo.

I can download a full GoT episode in less than 5 minutes from a seedbox. Up to 2 megs a second is pretty damn sexy.

Also, I just found out that Spartacus is going to end after next season. I'm so choked.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It's fine for me, it' free, and I know what I am getting. Nothing goes on Icefilms that is less than DVD quality.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I download GOT in about an hour, but it's also heavily seeded.

Some Blu-Ray quality rips I download can take 10-20 hours, depending on how they are seeded..but then I just leave my PC on overnight and let nature take its course.

Oh, did I mentioned that between the hours of 2am-8am, bandwith is unlimited with TekSavvy?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That's kind of cool about having unlimited usage between certain hours, problem is, you'd have to be awake to download, unless you set up a timer with a torrent, if that is even possible.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:That's kind of cool about having unlimited usage between certain hours, problem is, you'd have to be awake to download, unless you set up a timer with a torrent, if that is even possible.

Well my monthly cap is 300GB, so I would never hit that regardless of the unlimited usage between 2am-8am. Also, I'm pretty sure that one can set up programs to start at certain times really easily in Windows.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

With icefilms you have to click on a link (when it is available) then click a source link, then another link, then enter some code, then another link... very hard to set up automatically.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any developments regarding "What's the best software/site/whatever to download movies and shows?"

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I just downloaded Project X.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:I just downloaded Project X.

Last thing I downloaded was "Goon." Still haven't watched it. But I have watched Slap Shot on Netflix twice.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum