GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Big Green Egg -- general information, benefits, recipes, stories

+8
tim1_2
spader
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Do you have daisies?

Yes. I don't mean to, but I've got some.

Point was really -- should I be spreading the ashes on the lawn or some-such or package them for the dump?

You can do either really but I'm told they're really good for the garden. Personally, I keep roughly half and ditch the rest.

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

for all you BGE owners out there. I crisped my gasket making chicken wingss the other week. I just replaced it with a nomex gasket. So if you have to replace your gasket, make it a nomex one, not the factory original - they last longer.

in other news: I just ordered a BBQ Guru.

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

Number Twenty Nine wrote:for all you BGE owners out there. I crisped my gasket making chicken wingss the other week. I just replaced it with a nomex gasket. So if you have to replace your gasket, make it a nomex one, not the factory original - they last longer.

Let me know how much you use your Guru (I assume you got A Pitt viper). I find that I can get a consistent temperature burn for upwards of 8-9 hours without any extra eggcessories ...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is "crisped my gasket" a euphemism for something ... painful?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:for all you BGE owners out there. I crisped my gasket making chicken wingss the other week. I just replaced it with a nomex gasket. So if you have to replace your gasket, make it a nomex one, not the factory original - they last longer.

Let me know how much you use your Guru (I assume you got A Pitt viper). I find that I can get a consistent temperature burn for upwards of 8-9 hours without any extra eggcessories ...

I got the Guru because I value my sleep. I'm cooking a brisket this weekend (if the Guru comes in). I bought the CyberQ which can handle 2 pits at a time. I plan on getting a BGE XL next year to run my current medium/XL side by side.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Is "crisped my gasket" a euphemism for something ... painful?

I can't complain - it's only the 2nd gasket I've replaced in 7 years. It apparently something that happens to the stock gaskets if you cook hot.

I had smoked wings and the fat was everywhere after. I ramped up the temp to burn off the fat and the heat crisped the gasket.

I know now to turn my plate setter upside down and position a drip pan next time.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I haven't replaced my gasket yet but it's due. How long after you replace the gasket must you wait before using the thing again?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

at least 12 hours. get the nomex gasket if you can. it's not a BGE part, it's 3rd party.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Number Twenty Nine wrote:at least 12 hours. get the nomex gasket if you can. it's not a BGE part, it's 3rd party.

I don't mind getting 3rd party. I find that most of their accessories are way overpriced.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

my Guru just arrived and I'm off to pick up my brisket at lunch time....

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

This Looks cool :

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/GRILLGRATE_KIT_FOR_BIG_GREEN_EGG_LARGE_EGG_3_PANE_p/grgwbgel.htm

So does this :

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/LOOFTLIGHTER_ELECTRIC_CHARCOAL_LIGHTING_TOOL_p/loolighter.htm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Number Twenty Nine wrote:my Guru just arrived and I'm off to pick up my brisket at lunch time....

Take some pictures; mine didn't turn out great. I'm interested in knowing what you're going to soak it in

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Man o Man - finding whole brisket in the burgh is a PITA. I did find a source downtown though. I had to find it for today, because I need to let the rub sit for a minimum of 24 hours.

I aint soakin nuttin'. straight on the grill with the plate setter upside down. I'm going to put a water/drip pan for insurance.

the secret (I'm told) is getting a whole packer brisket and trimming it yourself. These are hard to find as I'm finding out.

The plan is to cook low and slow - 225 grill temp until the meat gets to 180. The Guru should allow this to happen without supervision.

The plan is to start it around 10pm Saturday night and finish hopefully after lunch Sunday.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

See, that's what I did with mine but I was hoping to make "smoked meat". I was told that to make smoked meat, you needed to pre-treat the brisket.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Oh #29. Keep an eye on those sales you were telling me about (they never go on sale here); I might be in the market for a medium.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:See, that's what I did with mine but I was hoping to make "smoked meat". I was told that to make smoked meat, you needed to pre-treat the brisket.

for smoked meat ala Montreal, you need to cure it in the fridge for a week at least. That's my next task after I've done one Texas style successfully.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:Oh #29. Keep an eye on those sales you were telling me about (they never go on sale here); I might be in the market for a medium.

For example: At the local Eggfest, they are selling the used once Eggs: Large $700 XL $950 I'm getting one of those next year or an end of summer one this year.

I'd sell you my medium, but my wife would shoot me since it was a gift from her.....

If you're in Ottawa, I'd phone all the dealers close to Watertown, NY and see if they run end of season specials. My wife got mine as an end of season in Cornwall (she didn't know any better). The mediums are not as popular, so they tend to linger at the end of the season.

The Medium is perfect for a family of 4. - especially for grilling.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

This is not specific to the green egg but it appears interesting.

http://www.mrbbq.ca/2010/01/smoked-meat-pastrami-beef-brisket.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum