GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bluesfest

+8
shabbs
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
rooneypoo
stempniaksen
Flo The Action
spader
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Bluesfest Empty Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone go tonight?

The Flaming Lips were amazing. They put on an unbelievable spectacle. They treat their show like a New Years party with fireworks, a hand-held confetti cannon, giant balloons filled with confetti that the singer frequently popped with his guitar, dancers dressed like the characters from The Wizard of Oz (quite a few more "Dorothy's" than anything else), a giant screen behind them with psychedelic images, a bullhorn that acted as a microphone as well as a machine that spews red smoke, and a giant transparent ball that the singer got into and rolled over the crowd like a hamster in a ball.

Oh, and the set was unreal as well.

Soundgarden was exactly what I expected. They didn't play any new stuff. They were good, but didn't blow my socks off.

2Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:33 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm not familiar with them surprisingly. sounds like a hell of a spectacle.
if I could of gone this year it would of been for Cheap Trick. Nice to see alot of ottawa bands get exposure this way.

3Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:34 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I would have loved to go but was stuck at work. I think the only night I will head over is Friday to watch Cage the Elephant and the Black Keys.

4Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:50 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I was at Soundgarden last night. Amazing show, even if Cornell can't quite sing it live the way he does in studio. I've got a full festival pass, so I'll be there just about every night. Smile

5Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:I was at Soundgarden last night. Amazing show, even if Cornell can't quite sing it live the way he does in studio. I've got a full festival pass, so I'll be there just about every night. Smile
DUDE don't miss out on Cheap Trick! they'll play surender and dream police for sure but if you're lucky they'll play "he's a whore"
best band on the bill.

6Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I was at Soundgarden last night. Amazing show, even if Cornell can't quite sing it live the way he does in studio. I've got a full festival pass, so I'll be there just about every night. Smile
DUDE don't miss out on Cheap Trick! they'll play surender and dream police for sure but if you're lucky they'll play "he's a whore"
best band on the bill.

Well, I'm going to pop in on Satriani before I head over to the John Butler Trio, and Cheap Trick is just before all that so... I might as well! Smile

7Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:31 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I really got excited when Tea Party reformed and announced they'd play, but I couldn't make it to Ottawa for just that with all the stuff coming up. But they are playing Sound Academy, but I too have no motivation to go to it, for a few reasons, like cost, the drive, the security that molests people there, and the large obnoxious crowds.

8Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

All I have to say is that Cheap Trick is a legend from several years nof making hits. please take them seriously, I wluld If i would be there. And this used to br my job.

9Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:01 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

The Roots were nuts. They're so good. Their version of Sweet Child of Mine was off the hook. Their drummer is awesome.

Here's a tune:

Ben Harper was great as well. While this doesn't really count as "his" song, it's my favourite of his anyway, so that's what you get:

Bedouin Soundclash was good, too. Here's one of their hits:

10Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:22 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I can't give you "Indifference" without giving you this:

(Oh, you gotta watch the whole thing. Rules.)

11Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ben Harper was amazing -- one of the better live performances, musically, I've seen in a while. I didn't know he had so much 'jam band' in him.

12Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:41 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They should really start calling it the Music-fest because it's attracted a lot of big name bands that have nothing to do with blues and don't even pretend or try to be "bluesy".

Just my opinion.

13Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:They should really start calling it the Music-fest because it's attracted a lot of big name bands that have nothing to do with blues and don't even pretend or try to be "bluesy".

Just my opinion.

Ben Harper had a lot of blues in his set. The Roots even had some bluesy elements.

I hear what you're saying, though. It's certainly not a blues-oriented festival anymore. Meh. I personally don't care what they call it.

14Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Ben Harper was amazing -- one of the better live performances, musically, I've seen in a while. I didn't know he had so much 'jam band' in him.

Ya. He was great. Did you see The Roots?

15Bluesfest Empty Re: Bluesfest Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Ben Harper was amazing -- one of the better live performances, musically, I've seen in a while. I didn't know he had so much 'jam band' in him.

Ya. He was great. Did you see The Roots?

I overheard them while I was waiting for Harper to play. I was about 20 feet from the stage -- prime real estate I wasn't giving up. I'd never heard of The Roots before yesterday, to be honest, and I didn't really give them my complete attention. All I can say is that they bored me a lot less, musically, than the Flaming Lips, who I overheard while waiting for Soundgarden. They (the Lips) nearly lulled me to sleep. Laugh1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next