GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pics up

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Pics up Empty Pics up Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, rather than continuing to pollute the "General Hockey Talk" thread with talk about the Mayan Riviera, I'll just plop this here. In case anyone's interested, I've put up a bunch of pictures and one video on facebook. If you've not already "friended" me just look for me (Walter Prager -- I believe I'm the only one). The album(s) are public but you still have to log in.

Now, I've got this nice, long video of a walkthrough of the resort, but it's a smidgeon over 1 GB and they limit clips to 1024 MB. It doesn't block me from uploading but after about an hour the progress bar still showed zilch, so I think it's silently telling me to *&^% off. So, does anyone know of some simple (free) editing s/w that I could use to lop off 0.07 GB? It's a .MOV file.

2Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:07 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Huh, who would have thought there were so many on FaceBook with my name.

Anyhow, anyone with a suggestion for suitable free video editing s/w that will trim a .mov file?

3Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:08 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Define "free". I know about software you technically wouldn't have to pay for if you are willing to visit the dark-side of the internet.

4Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:13 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Anyhow, anyone with a suggestion for suitable free video editing s/w that will trim a .mov file?
Try AVS Video Editor:

http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx?sct=aff&ct=regnow&cid=175028

A .mov file? What did you record the video on?

5Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:36 pm

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Anyhow, anyone with a suggestion for suitable free video editing s/w that will trim a .mov file?
Try AVS Video Editor:

ICamera?

6Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

iSee.

Wink

7Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 pm

8Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:41 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh heh. That was a good one.

9Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Try AVS Video Editor:

It's a bit of a long story. I bought a 16 GB SD card that claimed to be class-6, but when I plopped it in (in the last 2 full days of our trip) it said it wasn't fast enough to store videos. I tried, and it was fine for photos (although it stopped storing both RAW and JPG), but a video clipped stopped after 2-3 seconds. The camera defaults to AVCHD format for HD (the bundled s/w must have something to convert it to be playable on a PC/browser). I tried, and it was fine for photos (although it stopped storing both RAW and JPG), but a video clipped stopped after 2-3 seconds.

The camera also lets you record in "Motion JPEG", and that one didn't stop after a few seconds, so I switched to that. At first it was a bit odd, since the "Remaining time" counter went from something like nearly 2 hours for AVCHD, to just 20-some minutes for Motion JPEG. I say odd, because at first I thought the difference was due to MPEG4 compression vs. JPEG; but, then, it's not the speed of the card that would matter but the processing, and if the Motion JPEG was smaller it would not need the card to be as quick. Later, however, I found that Motion JPEG will not store videos over 2 GB, so that 20-some minute limit came from that.

10Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:41 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

AVS Video Editor keeps crashing (or at least freezing) on me. Maybe I'll just try the s/w bundled with the camera.

11Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:10 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'm likely not going to be much help, but I had tried to edit some HD video I shot with the camera I had that recorded AVCHD format and despite my computers specs, I could not edit it at all. It either had something to do with the AVCHD format or compatibility with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. I tried and tried, looked up numerous references online and came up short.

The problem I had was everytime I went to edit with CS4 the video would not play back properly on the timeline and was very choppy, then after x seconds, the audio would just disappear.

Huge reason I got out of the business.

12Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And the Panasonic s/w is not much better. There is a film editing function but the wizard won't let me open the .mov file. I used the s/w to copy the file from the SD card to the PC, and the wizard shows the folder it was placed in with (1) file in it, but it won't go further than that. It's like it will only open up an AVCHD video clip (even though the tool tip says you can edit AVCHD or MPEG-2). So the camera *stored* the video as .MOV, but the s/w that came with the camera won't even open it up?

13Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:I'm likely not going to be much help, but I had tried to edit some HD video I shot with the camera I had that recorded AVCHD format and despite my computers specs, I could not edit it at all. It either had something to do with the AVCHD format or compatibility with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. I tried and tried, looked up numerous references online and came up short.

The problem I had was everytime I went to edit with CS4 the video would not play back properly on the timeline and was very choppy, then after x seconds, the audio would just disappear.

Huge reason I got out of the business.

One of my earlier attempts to convert a short clip (a shootout goal our goalie's father wanted to have a copy of) resulted in a file with audio and no video. I tried about a half-dozen apps I downloaded. Most of them would only let me convert half the clip; I finally found one that worked well enough, but left a small watermark in the middle. The s/w that came with the camera was not useful at all. I guess I should try reading the manual.

14Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

As simple as it is, Windows Movie Maker was able to open and edit a few clips I took from that camera.

I have heard good things about Sony Vegas too.

15Pics up Empty Re: Pics up Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:57 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dash wrote:As simple as it is, Windows Movie Maker was able to open and edit a few clips I took from that camera.

I have heard good things about Sony Vegas too.
Windows Movie Maker can't handle .mov files though...

I use Sony Vegas, but it's not a free app.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next