GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silfverberg: I'm not ready for the NHL yet

+4
jawal
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
PTFlea
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Silfverberg: I'm not ready for the NHL yet Empty Silfverberg: I'm not ready for the NHL yet Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/brynas/article8493453.ab
"I'm not ready yet"

Jakob Silfverberg has gone from strength to strength during the season.

But no NHL move next season?

Do not count on it.

- I'm not ready yet, "he says.

Jakob Silfverberg, 20, has had his breakthrough season. Brynäs-scoring forward has 25 points (12 +13) in 42 games and has been with the two teams played with Team Sweden.

Silfverberg is drafted by the Ottawa Senators and the NHL club offer him a contract after the season is not a long shot.
'Will stay'

But it does not seem to be any move across the Atlantic for him this fall.

- I will stay in Brynäs whether Ottawa would come with an offer. I feel that I'm not quite ready for the NHL yet. I need to be developed further and raise my lowest point, says Silfverberg to Gävle News agency.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

weird but wise. not many young players would evaluate themselves out of the NHL. by saying that he's a little closer to being ready.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/brynas/article8493453.ab
"I'm not ready yet"

Do not count on it.

Jakob Silfverberg, 20, has had his breakthrough season. Brynäs-scoring forward has 25 points (12 +13) in 42 games and has been with the two teams played with Team Sweden.

Silfverberg is drafted by the Ottawa Senators and the NHL club offer him a contract after the season is not a long shot.
'Will stay'

- I will stay in Brynäs whether Ottawa would come with an offer. I feel that I'm not quite ready for the NHL yet. I need to be developed further and raise my lowest point, says Silfverberg to Gävle News agency.

As I was reading this, I was thinking that it was somewhat commendable but when I got to the last sentence, I kindda realized that it was a little arrogant. especially the bolded part. The team has a good feeling for what's better for the player. Although I don't think that he should abdicate responsibility to the team, I find that it's a little early to be making this kind of statement...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/brynas/article8493453.ab
"I'm not ready yet"

Do not count on it.

'Will stay'

As I was reading this, I was thinking that it was somewhat commendable but when I got to the last sentence, I kindda realized that it was a little arrogant. especially the bolded part. The team has a good feeling for what's better for the player. Although I don't think that he should abdicate responsibility to the team, I find that it's a little early to be making this kind of statement...
the last young arrogant swede we had is coming back from the all star game... Sarcasm

ok maybe EK is just cocky.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:

I think it's more that he'll let Ottawa know so they don't burn a year off his contract. Plus, these kids coming from the SEL want to make sure they're ready to play in the NHL, the AHL holds very little for them as the SEL has them playing against men already.

Probably a little got lost in translation as well to be honest, because Silf's always been excited to play for Ottawa - as he's also a fan of the team. I felt the same way though, but I wouldn't hold that line against him too much.

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

I think it's more that he'll let Ottawa know so they don't burn a year off his contract. Plus, these kids coming from the SEL want to make sure they're ready to play in the NHL, the AHL holds very little for them as the SEL has them playing against men already.

Probably a little got lost in translation as well to be honest, because Silf's always been excited to play for Ottawa - as he's also a fan of the team. I felt the same way though, but I wouldn't hold that line against him too much.

It could also just be honesty. As in "I'm not coming next year and this is not just a negotiating tactic so you offer more money ... "

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

It sounds like a translated article, so I wouldn't take anything he 'says' to heart its just a literal translation I'm guessing. Main point is he's still not confident enough to enter the nhl and I guess deserves some credit for being honest...every player is out there saying he's ready for the nhl, but here's someone speaking how he truly feels.

That said, who knows how he will feel after the sens management meet him. He'll hopefully be coming for the rookie camp and give the team a real good look at what he's learned and his capabilities. Through it all, maybe he might realize that he's closer than he thought....who knows right?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah all I understood this article to say was that he doesn't feel like he has developed every part of his game to where he feels it should be for him to play his best at the NHL level. I see nothing wrong with that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Can someone not named "google" translate that? Maybe "whether" should be "unless".

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just checked, and both "whether" and "if" translate to "om".

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LOL, yeah I'm really sure he'd stay in Sweden if Ottawa came with an ELC offer. Money talks.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:LOL, yeah I'm really sure he'd stay in Sweden if Ottawa came with an ELC offer. Money talks.

I guess we'll see then. He could and should be signed to an ELC this summer @ 20 years old. If that doesn't happen - or if it happens and he stays, then we'll know. I hope he comes over, the only think lacking that I know of, is his top speed. Which could be fixed with good training this summer and 1/2 a year in Bingo. But if he stays, he'll be Cussing awesome in 2012's training camp.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum