GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How would you improve the All-Star game?

+14
Number Twenty Nine
LethalLehner
asq2
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
spader
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
22_4_ever
CockRoche
Riprock
tim1_2
Ev
SensHulk
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1How would you improve the All-Star game? Empty How would you improve the All-Star game? Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

The debate has been on for years....do we even need an all-star game? is this just a corporate gimmick? Is it only the skills competition that's appealing? what can be done for the game itself?

One popular belief is that once the regular american teams have been recycled, the winter classic will eventually turn into the all-star game. We've seen the MLB employ the 'home-field advantage' in the world series as a result of the all-star game, but that's kind of cheap and hasn't flown too well with fans.

Put yourself in the NHL's shoes. Let's hear 'em

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would take 24 NHL stars, put them out onto the ice and make them fight to the death. Last one standing is the true NHL all-star and he wins stuff for his club (cash, free salary cap space, points in the standings, etc).

I don't like the odds of Karlsson coming out alive.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The problem with having an all-star game for a physical sport like hockey, is that you’re instantly removing the element that makes the game so entertaining in the first place. The thing that makes these players so great is their willingness to battle, their drive, their competitive spirit, and the physicality they display on every shift.

No one wants to be “that guy” at the all-star game that is going full-out, hitting opposing players, running the risk of injuring somebody.

So, yeah, the skills competition is usually alright, and the draft this year MIGHT be entertaining (if the players can actually come out of their shells a little bit), but the game itself is normally kind of like watching a group of buddies playing on the outdoor rink.

Making the Winter Classic into the All-Star game will take the appeal out of that game for me. One of the main reasons why I like the Winter Classic is because it’s not just a gimmick, it’s a legit game that counts for something.

The current all-star game is more of a corporate schmooze-fest than anything else, but I guess it’s still “good” for the league.

One thing I would suggest to make the current all-star game more entertaining is to have them play 5-on-5 in the 1st period, 4-on-4 in the 2nd, and 3-on-3 in the 3rd.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Obviously the ASG is a huge income source for the NHL and the host city. It is fun for the players and for the fans. We have seen many players opt out for various reasons, which is fine. I like that it gives players a chance to go out and have fun and show off their skills.

Personally I would like to see in terms of how the skills competition is run, to have each team run their own internal competition, and send their winners to compete against the rest of the league's best. This is strictly for the speed and shooting competitions.

I am excited to see how this years draft style format will work. for the players to be able to select from any player in the NHL regardless of conference has the potential for a lot of excitement. Imagine a defence pairing of Lidstrom-Karlsson?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:The problem with having an all-star game for a physical sport like hockey, is that you’re instantly removing the element that makes the game so entertaining in the first place. The thing that makes these players so great is their willingness to battle, their drive, their competitive spirit, and the physicality they display on every shift.

No one wants to be “that guy” at the all-star game that is going full-out, hitting opposing players, running the risk of injuring somebody.

If only Pete Rose played hockey.

Pete Rose's reaction to the hit years later.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

I would like to see a new skill...basically my vision is to have an automated machine that flips targets out to one of 5 locations..(all 4 corners and 5 hole) Like a metal bill stiff board that some people put in nets when they don't have a goalie.

The idea is to have the guys skate in from the blue line, receive a pass from another player and when they enter a shooting zone (an area in the slot) it triggers the machine to randomly flip out one of the targets and the playe has to hit it.

I would like to see how quickly they can react to where they have to shoot...similar to the target shooting but this time it's random and they have to react before they leave the zone.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

CockRoche wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:The problem with having an all-star game for a physical sport like hockey, is that you’re instantly removing the element that makes the game so entertaining in the first place. The thing that makes these players so great is their willingness to battle, their drive, their competitive spirit, and the physicality they display on every shift.

If only Pete Rose played hockey.

Pete Rose's reaction to the hit years later.

Your obligation is to bust your Donkey for the fan who pays for their ticket? This guy is really out of touch. What a dinosaur. Facepalm

More "in game experience" upgrades to distract from the sorry state of pro sports, please!

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I had an idea to make the all star game a little more meaningful. If anything, it could increase viewership if not the entertainment value in gameplay.

I think it would be stupid to have 'home-ice' awarded because of all star game result. My idea also would resort to going back to east/west format.

What if the winning conference in the actual ASG is awarded an extra draft pick at the Entry draft? By that I mean, at the end of the game, whichever conference wins does a lottery right there for the extra draft pick with all 15 teams getting an equal shot. It would be more meaningful if its a first round draft pick (ranging from 20-31) so it would generate more interest for fanbases rooting for their conference to win. Its a bit of a convoluted idea, and I'm sure there can be derivatives generated from it.

What do you guys think?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'd like to see an All-Star game that was East vs West and have it count for home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup Final, like they do in MLB. I'd also like to see them be "realistic" All-Star teams.

By that I mean make the teams have 4 set lines... and have it be All-Stars that are representative of the line they play on (ie: best plugs/energy guys on the 4th, best top 6 guys on the top 6 etc...) and so on.

Then, have them play a real game that counts.

Hell, maybe even make it so that each "All Star" team's salary has to fit under the cap.

Now that would be interesting.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:I would like to see a new skill...basically my vision is to have an automated machine that flips targets out to one of 5 locations..(all 4 corners and 5 hole) Like a metal bill stiff board that some people put in nets when they don't have a goalie.

The idea is to have the guys skate in from the blue line, receive a pass from another player and when they enter a shooting zone (an area in the slot) it triggers the machine to randomly flip out one of the targets and the playe has to hit it.

I would like to see how quickly they can react to where they have to shoot...similar to the target shooting but this time it's random and they have to react before they leave the zone.

Just make sure you hit the tough guy in the knit cap with a knife in his hand and not the mother carrying a baby or the old man with a cane.

I like the idea, though. It's kind of like the quarterbacks throwing at moving hoops at various yardages down field in foozeball.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

What about a one-on-one competition? a goalie and a player to each side, after x minutes or x goals, the players tag out.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Obviously the ASG is a huge income source for the NHL and the host city. It is fun for the players and for the fans. We have seen many players opt out for various reasons, which is fine. I like that it gives players a chance to go out and have fun and show off their skills.

Personally I would like to see in terms of how the skills competition is run, to have each team run their own internal competition, and send their winners to compete against the rest of the league's best. This is strictly for the speed and shooting competitions.

I am excited to see how this years draft style format will work. for the players to be able to select from any player in the NHL regardless of conference has the potential for a lot of excitement. Imagine a defence pairing of Lidstrom-Karlsson?

I love it. I've always thought it was silly to determine who has the hardest shot (or who is fastest, or whatever) amongst the all-stars without determining who is number one in the entire league. I'd love it if they could find a way to fit this into the skills comp.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:What about a one-on-one competition? a goalie and a player to each side, after x minutes or x goals, the players tag out.

Make it 2-on-2 and I'd actually like that. Though to have that for 60 mins is gonna get old real fast no? Maybe an addition to the skills competition but can't actually replace the game itself.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Dash wrote:Personally I would like to see in terms of how the skills competition is run, to have each team run their own internal competition, and send their winners to compete against the rest of the league's best. This is strictly for the speed and shooting competitions. I am excited to see how this years draft style format will work. for the players to be able to select from any player in the NHL regardless of conference has the potential for a lot of excitement. Imagine a defence pairing of Lidstrom-Karlsson?

I love it. I've always thought it was silly to determine who has the hardest shot (or who is fastest, or whatever) amongst the all-stars without determining who is number one in the entire league. I'd love it if they could find a way to fit this into the skills comp.

This should really be a no-brainer.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Full contact take no prisoners. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum