GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New TV - Help please.

+5
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
shabbs
CockRoche
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1New TV - Help please. Empty New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:58 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

After seeing the camera and GPS thread, I realize there are many of you that have so much more knowledge than me when it comes to electronics.

So I am taking a calculated risk here and asking for your help. Shabbs, Wprager, Number Twenty Nine come to mind as experts, but I am sure there are lots more that I am forgetting or haven't heard from yet.

I am looking at getting a new TV for the living room. Obviously plasma is out of the question because of all the light in this room, so let's here the LCD vs. LED debate.

These are the 2 TV's I am looking at, but would love to hear other options if there are better ones out there.
Sony Bravia KDL60EX500 - 60" - LCD technology
Sony Bravia KDL60EX700 - 60" - LED technology

Thanks in advance.

2New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:04 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

I can get the EX500 for $1600.00 plus taxes; the EX700 for $1950.00 plus taxes.

3New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Between those two only, I would get the LCD one. The LED one uses edge backlight technology and the LCD will offer better picture quality.

Some of the higher end plasma's from Panasonic have pretty good anti-reflection on them. Is the room that bright?

4New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Between those two only, I would get the LCD one. The LED one uses edge backlight technology and the LCD will offer better picture quality.

Some of the higher end plasma's from Panasonic have pretty good anti-reflection on them. Is the room that bright?

Thank you and yes, the room is pretty bright. The plasma is in the basement.

5New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:26 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

The LED one - EX700 - also has the option of internet video, but I can't see myself using that too much. Is there a practical application for it?

6New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Normally I'd say go for the LED over the LCD, but not sure in this case:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1256801

One guys says the 500 has much better PQ than the 700, but another poster says the 701 is much better than the 501. No idea what the x01 models are compared to the x00s.

The thing to realize here is that both TVs use an LCD panel -- very like the exact same one. So the image is identical. But in order to see the image you need a back-light. The 700 uses a LED light source arranged around the panel, with a special diffusing panel "spreading" the light around. There are other ways to arrange the LEDs, but this one produces the thinnest TV (not as thin as the OLEDs though, which don't need a backlight).

Now, I can see Shabbs' objection to the backlight source being a tube that runs around the edge of the panel, but I don't know if the 500 is any better -- there is (I think) a single bulb sitting in the middle of the panel, with a diffuser spreading the light over the entire panel.

I don't know about you, but maybe an edge light source can be diffused more evenly than a single light source in the middle?

7New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

CockRoche wrote:The LED one - EX700 - also has the option of internet video, but I can't see myself using that too much. Is there a practical application for it?

If you have a PS3 connected to it, probably not much. I can watch youtube and other streaming video sites via my PS3.

8New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:12 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Great informed opinion; thanks.

9New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My brother in law has a Pioneer Elite plasma (they don't make them anymore) in his living room. I've never seen a picture that good, and there's no glare whatsoever.

Since that's not an option for you, and since your room is bright, I would lean heavily toward the LED for the brighter picture and better contrast.

That's a pretty good price, too -- does that mean returning it would be difficult?

10New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:37 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:My brother in law has a Pioneer Elite plasma (they don't make them anymore) in his living room. I've never seen a picture that good, and there's no glare whatsoever.

Since that's not an option for you, and since your room is bright, [1]I would lean heavily toward the LED for the brighter picture and better contrast.

[2]That's a pretty good price, too -- does that mean returning it would be difficult?

[1]You said LCD earlier? That is the last thing I need, to be confused.

[2]I'm not sure I follow?

11New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:39 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The better picture for the LCD one will be due to the edge backlight technology on the LED one. This edge backlight can introduce uniformity issues resulting in a poorer PQ. The other LED tech is full array with local dimming. That one would be the best choice of them all but they are hard to find and of course, more pricey.

12New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Shabbs, while I agree that full-array is better than edge, the 500 model does not have full array either.

13New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I'm on the trailing edge when it comes to TV with my 65" CRT HDTV - lol

The movers HATED moving that one :-)

for TV's I buy one generation behind. eg. I bought the CRT HDTV when Plasmas were out and LCD's were just coming in.

Today I would buy Plasma, with LCD's out a while and LED, 3D coming in.

14New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Shabbs, while I agree that full-array is better than edge, the 500 model does not have full array either.
The point I was making was that the LED will suffer from inconsistencies that the "standard" LCD won't, resulting in a better PQ.

15New TV - Help please. Empty Re: New TV - Help please. Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:41 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

I am going to admit that I am getting a bit lost in this discussion.

Let's try this. If you had to pick one TV with someone else's money and all you cared about was having the right TV for your living room, which would you choose?

Sony Bravia KDL60EX500 - 60" - LCD technology - $1600.00
Sony Bravia KDL60EX700 - 60" - LED technology - $1950.00

Haha.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum