GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris phillips career sen or huge loss at FA

+7
Amnesia021
Flo The Action
Hoags
PTFlea
Riprock
top shelf15
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

top shelf15

Rookie
Rookie

I hope career sen, he is not only been a great dman for us he is a class act much like alfie Chris phillips  career sen or huge loss at FA  54934

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/07/02/14595501.html

Sounds like he really wants to stay here, and while we have heard that same line from many a player who have since left, I actually believe CP4.

Sophomore
Sophomore

There is absolutely no doubt in mind Phillips will retire a Sen.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I say career Sen. 8 years, 3.2 per year = career Sen (hopefully).

Sophomore
Sophomore

why in the world would you give a 33 year old defencemen an 8 year deal?

how about a 5 year, 5mil,4mil,3mil,2mil,1mil=3 million per cap hit.

I would certainly pay phillips 5 million when he is 34 but am more comfortable paying him 2 million when he is 37.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

They need to keep Phillips here for the rest of his career and I'm sure the team will make it happen.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

So Phillips is only 32, won't be 33 until March 2011, and I can fully see a 7 year deal (same length as an older Chris Pronger signed at 35), but obviously not quite the $4.9M cap hit.

He's currently averaging $3.5M per year, so I would expect anywhere from $3M-$4M per year, so somewhere between $21M and $28M over 7 years. Would take him to age 40 which is not entirely unforeseeable.

Keeping in mind that Kovalev, Ruutu, Shannon and Leclaire all will be UFAs once his new contract kicks in.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm on the fence about him being a sens for life. i don't mean to say i don't like him but i wonder what the expiration date is on him. he's had a bad year 2 years ago, mind you he was back last year i wonder for how long can he keep his game. if we can sign him for 4-5 years at a cap hit at or bellow 4 mill. i'll be happy.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

depending on how the NHLPA-NHL-Kovy dispute ends, I wouldn't mind the sens signing Phillips to a 15 year - 42 Mil contract (8-7-6-6-4-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1)

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:why in the world would you give a 33 year old defencemen an 8 year deal?

I would certainly pay phillips 5 million when he is 34 but am more comfortable paying him 2 million when he is 37.

Lower the cap hit, dude. Pretty simple.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:
111519 wrote:why in the world would you give a 33 year old defencemen an 8 year deal?

How low would you go on an 8-year deal?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap hit.

I revise it to 8 years, 3 million cap hit per year. Smile

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

This will get done in late August or early September. Arbitration is the priority at this point.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

How low would you go on an 8-year deal?

I dunno, something like $2.5 mil?

$5 mil, $ 5 mil, $4 mil, $3 mil, $2 mil, $1 mil, $750K, $750K

= $21.5 / 8 = $2.7 mil cap hit.

Looks beauty to me. Is it enough for Phillips, tho'?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you need to get it up to 3 or 3.2 to get Phillips to sign on the dotted line. I like the figure you're bringing in though because it'll start the process. We'll offer 2.7, he'll counter with 3.5 and we'll work to the middle ground.

I'm not worried at all, I think Phillips is here to stay for the next 8 years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum