GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rangers/Isles game in 3D! (next Wednesday)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/NYRangers/2010/03/18/13278881-ap.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Short article, I'll just paste the full thing. I wonder if HD-PVRs are 3D-ready? Maybe the local FS/BB could record the game on a PVR and show it off when they get the 3D-capable sets in?

One question, though, why Rangers/Isles? Facepalm

NEW YORK - A regional television network will broadcast next week's New York Islanders-New York Rangers game in 3-D, joining a worldwide trend that affects few viewers now but could eventually change the way people watch sports.

Wednesday's hockey game on MSG is the first 3-D sports event on TV in the U.S. But hardly any viewers now have the 3-D capable sets that would allow them to see it.

Networks believe 3-D could be the next big thing, and many are rushing to offer programming. The Masters announced this week that next month's tournament will be available to Comcast subscribers with proper sets.

The NHL game will be available to Cablevision subscribers with 3-D-compatible TVs who get MSG HD. The network is in discussions with other cable providers.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Haha, yeah really, why the Rangers/Isles game.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Haha, yeah really, why the Rangers/Isles game.

The article says regional so that's why im guessing...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yup, you'll need a 3d TV, and they just came out last week. And I suppose you'll need a 3d ready receiver, since apparently you need a 3D capable Blu-ray player which apparently just came out last week as well. Not to mention you need X amount of glasses.

Would be easier for a theatre to host a live broadcast of a game. Should do it for playoffs.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:Yup, you'll need a 3d TV, and they just came out last week. And I suppose you'll need a 3d ready receiver, since apparently you need a 3D capable Blu-ray player which apparently just came out last week as well. Not to mention you need X amount of glasses.

Let me put it a little simpler... You need alot of $$$ lol!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe you *don't* need a special receiver, and I'll bet the high-end graphics cards are either 3D ready now or could be made to be with a firmware upgrade. Any 120 Hz TV could, theoretically, do 3D for TV signals (30 fps), but you'd need a 240 Hz set for 3D movies (24 fps).

A theater that can play digital movies would be able to play a 3D transmission of a playoff game. Most of them aren't there yet, though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum