GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ovechkin Suspended

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ovechkin Suspended Empty Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I'm assuming everyone is aware.

Ovechking got an additional 2 games for his hit on Campbell. While I thought he should be ejected during that game, I don't think additional punishment was necessary. Live and Learn.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Washington/2010/03/15/13235531.html

If this was already posted, feel free to delete. Cool

2Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I maintain it's too much. That fool Lapierre knew exactly what he was doing to Nichol, Ovechkin hit Campbell as he passed the puck and he flew into the boards.

2 is too much - especially considering Ovechkin was taken out of one of the marquee match ups of the year and had no impact on that game (except that the Hawks scored on the 5 minute PP).

3Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:I maintain it's too much. That fool Lapierre knew exactly what he was doing to Nichol, Ovechkin hit Campbell as he passed the puck and he flew into the boards.

2 is too much - especially considering Ovechkin was taken out of one of the marquee match ups of the year and had no impact on that game (except that the Hawks scored on the 5 minute PP).

I thought that it was a very ugly hit, especially considering he hit him while he was stradling the line, way too far from the boards to be hit like that, so very dangerous. But, Ovechkin felt bad about the hit, I don't think there was too much intent to injure. But, I could be wrong. 2 games is too much, but those kinds of hits have to be taken out of the game too. Tough one.

4Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:52 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

The NHL owners, executive, and player's association are a laughingstock when it comes to discipline. Ovechkin, already suspended this year, makes a reckless play that could seriously affect not only a player's career but life outside hockey. Clearly, the first suspension did not teach him a thing about respecting your opponent.

I'll say this. He got more than I thought he would, given the NHL's history of not punishing their stars. But IMO, he got far less than he deserved. Way to be an example to the kids Ovechkin.

5Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SD, I'm strongly disagreeing with you. And I am (or was, at the start of the season) a big, big Ovechkin fan.

First of all, the suspension may be automatic, since this is his *third* game misconduct. Although I did read that it may not be automatic because it's a different infraction from the last time (boarding vs. kneeing), and the length of time since the previous one (although the Olympic break did extend that somewhat artificially).

Second, that was *not* a hockey hit. This was very similar to the foot races that Cherry likes to show to convince people that we need to get rid of touch icing. When he reversed the puck he was turned around in a very awkward position. While in that position he actually had his back to Ovechkin, so that was a hit from behind. It really wasn't a hit but a shove. If he had just hit him, then Campbell would have been up against the boards at the time of impact, and probably ready to brace himself. As it happened, Ovechkin extended his arms to shove him into the boards, at the very moment when Campbell was completely vulnerable: he was off-balance after reversing the puck, his arms/hands were not in front of him to brace for impact, he was 3-4 feet away from the boards so even if he had his arms out in front of him he could not brace for impact.

I hate to say it, but it *almost* looked like Ovechkin rushed the hit (by extending his arms) because he knew the damage would be much less if he simply continued skating and tried to hit him.

6Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:01 pm

dennycrane wrote:The NHL owners, executive, and player's association are a laughingstock when it comes to discipline. Ovechkin, already suspended this year, makes a reckless play that could seriously affect not only a player's career but life outside hockey. Clearly, the first suspension did not teach him a thing about respecting your opponent.

I'll say this. He got more than I thought he would, given the NHL's history of not punishing their stars. But IMO, he got far less than he deserved. Way to be an example to the kids Ovechkin.

+1

The point that seems to get overlooked is that not only was the push risky, it was completely unnecessary. OV chose (poorly imo) to stretch out and push Campbell. To me, that shows intent and disrespect. After all his dirty plays (we aren't even talking about questionable anymore with this guy imo) such as the Briere incident, the knee on knee on Gleason, the slewfoots and now this, how can anyone defend this guy? He is simply dirty. And he deserves to be punished.

7Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He wasn't like that all the time, though. He always enjoyed hitting, and I really liked that about him. Then that hit on Gonchar in the playoffs is (for me) when I started noticing this trend. It's gotten worse this year.

8Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Washington is killing Florida 7-2. Zero points for Ovechkin Smile How can he be the MVP when the team simply does not miss him?

9Ovechkin Suspended Empty Re: Ovechkin Suspended Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm

wprager wrote:He wasn't like that all the time, though. He always enjoyed hitting, and I really liked that about him. Then that hit on Gonchar in the playoffs is (for me) when I started noticing this trend. It's gotten worse this year.

I think the running Briere into the bench door incident was long before that. If memory serves, I think that's the first transgression that Ovie had in the NHL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum