GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jared Cowen signed to 1.325 mil/season, 3 year deal

+4
wprager
asq2
Riprock
spader
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone else think that we paid too much? As much as I like Murray, he has a tendancy to overpay. Didn't we learn from the deal that Lee got that paying big bucks for unproven talent gets us in trouble down the road?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I believe that the amount is set and determined by the league by the position you were drafted. There's also a base salary, which is less than what you see there, plus signing bonuses and other bonuses.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

What Dash said.

Also, it's Cowen. Jared Cowen signed to 1.325 mil/season, 3 year deal Icon_wink I know it's a minor quibble but otherwise I'll continuously be reading it as Murray signing a depth move in Jeff Cowan.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into another Eric/Jordan/Marc/Jared (EDIT: Plus SEL player Kim) "Stall" syndrome.

I fixed the title, just for you asq2. Jared Cowen signed to 1.325 mil/season, 3 year deal 270956

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think we overpaid. If he makes this team next year he'll be earning it. More likely, though, he'll be spending at least some of the time in Bingo, making a lot less. By the time he's here, full-time, he'll be earning it for sure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You want to see what over overpaying is, look up Tyler Bozak in the dictionary.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I believe that the amount is set and determined by the league by the position you were drafted. There's also a base salary, which is less than what you see there, plus signing bonuses and other bonuses.

Not as far as I'm aware. The maximum base salary for ELC as of this year is (I believe) $900K, and you can add on (again, I believe) close to $3 mil in bonuses. My numbers may not be precise here -- they change year by year, all pre-arranged by the CBA -- but they're close.

CapGeek has Cowen's salary as $900K + $425K in signing bonuses. It's pretty standard -- what we paid Lee and Karlsson. So, no, I don't think that's overpayment -- I think that's about what you pay mid-first-round draft picks who have a legitimate chance to make your roster, these days.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Isn't that what I said? I said base salary which is less than you see there (the 1.325), which ends up being $900K. The signing bonus, you said 425K, brings it to the 1.325. Then I'm sure if he plays X amount of games, scores X amount of points, etc. he gets more, right?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Isn't that what I said? I said base salary which is less than you see there (the 1.325), which ends up being $900K. The signing bonus, you said 425K, brings it to the 1.325. Then I'm sure if he plays X amount of games, scores X amount of points, etc. he gets more, right?

Well, your original post made it sound like the whole amount ($1.325) was set by a formula. The CBA determines the max salary we can pay him ($900K). The signing bonus can be anywhere from a few 10s of thousands to millions, and there is no mechanism for determining who gets what.

The base salary, and the bonus, all get worked out through negotiation, just like any other contract.

As for how bonus works, that's always been something of a mystery to me. As far as I can tell, it seems like all these kids earn their bonuses because they're "signing" bonuses and not performance bonuses, tho'.

rooneypoo wrote:
Dash wrote:Isn't that what I said? I said base salary which is less than you see there (the 1.325), which ends up being $900K. The signing bonus, you said 425K, brings it to the 1.325. Then I'm sure if he plays X amount of games, scores X amount of points, etc. he gets more, right?

Well, your original post made it sound like the whole amount ($1.325) was set by a formula. The CBA determines the max salary we can pay him ($900K). The signing bonus can be anywhere from a few 10s of thousands to millions, and there is no mechanism for determining who gets what.

The base salary, and the bonus, all get worked out through negotiation, just like any other contract.

As for how bonus works, that's always been something of a mystery to me. As far as I can tell, it seems like all these kids earn their bonuses because they're "signing" bonuses and not performance bonuses, tho'.

I was under the impression they were performance bonuses (at least some
of them) but that teams made sure they were easily ottainable, so in
essense, it's guaranteed salary. Also, I thought the rookie salary max
was 850k was it not?

EDIT: The cap for salary including bonuses is $3.725 million.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Compared to what guys like Luke Schenn make in bonuses it's a fuckin bargain. In the next 2 years Karlsson and Cowen will make a grand total of 2.6M... That could allow us to sign a big time player after next year if someone's available, or just give the cash to one of the goalie.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If the team isn't up against the cap this year, signing him allows them to spread his signing bonus portion of his cap hit over an extra year. Ex: If he signed a 850,000 dollar deal with an 85,000 bonus, his bonus pro-rates to 85,000/4 instead of over 3 for cap purposes.

Edit: If he is sent back next year, they could actually spread it over 5 years instead of 3. And I believe they have the choice, so if they spend to the cap this year, they can start it next year, and if they choose to spend to the cap again, they can count it for 3 years.

From what appears to be a poster who knows what he's talking about: Bjindaho on HF.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

Yeah, as far as I knew, the base salary was determined on what position you are drafted. Signing bonuses are up to the player/agent. I know some don't even get any - as in the case of Paul Byron, he was set to sign and his dad told him to hold out until he got a signing bonus, so he asked for one, and Buffalo refused. He would eventually sign, but took longer than was supposed to.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

was 850k was it not?

The max base salary a player can earn on an ELC is now $900K. It inches upwards a bit each year -- starting with $850K, then $875K, and now $900K. It's a year by year thing determined by the CBA.

Yes, as far as I know, these kids with big signing bonuses invariably earn them as long as they play.

Your max figure sounds right to me -- it's what CHI is paying Kane and TOR Bozak (!). That would make for a maximum bonus of $2.85 mil. I'm guessing that number inches up year by year, too, but I don't know that for sure.

rooneypoo wrote:
hemlock wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

was 850k was it not?

The max base salary a player can earn on an ELC is now $900K. It inches upwards a bit each year -- starting with $850K, then $875K, and now $900K. It's a year by year thing determined by the CBA.

Yes, as far as I know, these kids with big signing bonuses invariably earn them as long as they play.

Your max figure sounds right to me -- it's what CHI is paying Kane and TOR Bozak (!). That would make for a maximum bonus of $2.85 mil. I'm guessing that number inches up year by year, too, but I don't know that for sure.

I didn't know the max salary increased as the years went by, so thanks for clearing that up. I wonder though, if the $900k max is now only applicable to players who sign starting now. In other words, could a player have signed a deal last year when the max was $875k so that it paid $875k last season, $900k this season and so on? I don't suppose it makes much of a difference, I'm just curious.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum