GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2010 Swedish Olympic Roster

+3
PTFlea
Hayden
Riprock
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

12010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=23838.html?cid=rsstsn

Goalkeepers:
Jonas Gustavsson (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Stefan Liv (HV 71), Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers/NHL) Defenders:
Tobias
Enstrom (Atlanta Thrashers/NHL), Magnus Johansson (Linkopings HC),
Niklas Kronwall (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Nicklas Lidstrom (Detroit Red
Wings/NHL), Douglas Murray (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Johnny Oduya (New
Jersey Devils/NHL), Henrik Tallinder (Buffalo Sabres/NHL), Mattias
Ohlund (Tampa Bay Lightning/NHL) Forwards:
Daniel
Alfredsson (Ottawa Senators/NHL), Nicklas Backstrom (Washington
Capitals/NHL), Loui Eriksson (Dallas Stars/NHL), Peter Forsberg (MODO
Hockey), Tomas Holmstrom (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Patric Hornqvist
(Nashville Predators/NHL), Fredrik Modin (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL),
Samuel Paahlsson (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Daniel Sedin (Vancouver
Canucks/NHL), Henrik Sedin (Vancouver Canucks/NHL), Mattias Weinhandl
(Dynamo Moscow/RUS), Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit Red Wings/NHL)

Huh... no Naslund...

22010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:11 am

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

I hope Alfie decides to sit this one out - we'll need him healthy and well rested for the stretch run.

32010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:13 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, we don't need another Hasek... though, part of me is also hoping for another top 10 pick... maybe even top 5....

I suppose if Alfie misses the Olympics, then Naslund might get in? I mean he came out of retirement just to play.

42010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:15 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No Edler? That's surprising.

52010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hayden wrote:I hope Alfie decides to sit this one out - we'll need him healthy and well rested for the stretch run.

He can't. He's the Captain.

Edit: No he's not.

Last edited by wprager on Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

62010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:01 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I can't believe they have Modin in there.

The loss of Franzen is huge.

72010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:02 pm

I hope Alfie gets a chance to play in what will be his last Olympics.

82010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:20 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

BAG made some bad choices though. Johansson and maybe even Tallinder should be gone for Hedman and Edler IMO. Up front, Wienhandl and Modin need to be dropped for Naslund, Huselius or even a one-legged Franzen or Sundin, frankly. With Forsberg there I also would have gone with 13 forwards and 7 defencemen.

Still, they'll be one of the top teams in the tournament. Backstrom, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Eriksson, Forsberg, the Sedins and Holmstrom is nothing to sneeze at forwards-wise. Obviously Lidstrom's the key piece on the blue-line but they've got a pretty solid supporting group with Kronwall, Ohlund, Murray and Enstrom (who's really taken a step forward this year, wow).

And, of course, Henrik in nets.

It's too old, though. Sweden's got so many great young players that you'd think they'd want to get a couple in there to lead the next crop (featuring Hedman, Edler, Karlsson, Runblad, Larsson, OEL, Erixon etc. on defence and MPS, Josefson, Landeskog et. al up front).

92010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:46 pm

We're really starting to see the Lidstrom-influence with all these great young Swedish blueliners emerging. Their forward ranks are good too, but not close to that level.

Canadian forwards, Swedish bllueliners, Finnish goalies = wave of the future.

102010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:00 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Oh well, if they put players in there that aren't the best fit, then it should be easier for Canada to prevail.

112010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:27 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Gohan wrote:We're really starting to see the Lidstrom-influence with all these great young Swedish blueliners emerging. Their forward ranks are good too, but not close to that level.

Sweden's producing some decent goalies too (Markstrom, Enroth, Nilsson, Lehner, um, Lundqvist).

I'd include American defencemen in your wave of the future as well (Erik Johnson, Zach Bogosian, Cam Fowler et al.). Canada's not doing so badly in that regard either. 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster 159628

The only country of the big-5 (I'm not sure if I'd include Finland in there, actually) whose player production is pretty one-dimensional has become Russia IMO. Goncharov and Kulikov are OK, but nowhere near the Kabanovs, Filatovs, Cherepanovs, Malkins, Ovechkins that they're making up front. That might just be because their defencemen don't travel across the pond, though, who knows.

122010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:41 pm

asq2 wrote:
Gohan wrote:We're really starting to see the Lidstrom-influence with all these great young Swedish blueliners emerging. Their forward ranks are good too, but not close to that level.

Sweden's producing some decent goalies too (Markstrom, Enroth, Nilsson, Lehner, um, Lundqvist).

I'd include American defencemen in your wave of the future as well (Erik Johnson, Zach Bogosian, Cam Fowler et al.). Canada's not doing so badly in that regard either. 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster 159628

The only country of the big-5 (I'm not sure if I'd include Finland in there, actually) whose player production is pretty one-dimensional has become Russia IMO. Goncharov and Kulikov are OK, but nowhere near the Kabanovs, Filatovs, Cherepanovs, Malkins, Ovechkins that they're making up front. That might just be because their defencemen don't travel across the pond, though, who knows.
I chose to ignore all that...even though the name "Doughty" kept roll around in my head...

As much as there are great prospects from each of those countries coming up in each position, my point was more that they're becoming factories for the best of the best. <That point doesn't seem so accurate anymore 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster 105237

132010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:42 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hilarious comment by Alfie on Murray saying he didn't want to see Alfie in the Olympics if he's not 100%...

http://twitter.com/CJ_Stevenson/status/7097939019

"He's from Canada isn't he?"

HA HA!

142010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mikael Samuelsson is not too pleased with being left off the squad:

"Probably going to get in trouble for this, but they can go $&%( themselves," was his reaction following the Canucks win over Calgary Sunday night.

Imagine what he might have said if the 'Nucks lost?

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=23838.html?cid=rsstsn

152010 Swedish Olympic Roster Empty Re: 2010 Swedish Olympic Roster Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:35 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ha-ha, it's the THN "Say what?" quote for today.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/30350-Say-What-Dec-28.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum