GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How many games for Laraque? Answer: 5 game suspension

+2
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, he's having a discussion today with the NHL about his knee on knee with Kronwall.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=299574

I don't think there's any doubt he'll get suspended, but for how long? 3 or less? Or 4+?

I'm thinking 3 games.

Last edited by shabbs on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hmmm. Let's see...

Laraque: You just saw the same kind of hit from Matt Cooke on Shean Donovan and there was no suspension there.

Campbell: We considered that and in view of the circumstances we feel we've arrived at a fair penalty. 50 games, Mr. Lablaque, er, Laraque.

Racism? You decide.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't think they were the same. Laraque stuck his leg out even further right before the hit to take Kronwall out.

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I'm still of the opinion that hits like that or ones from behind or even the dreaded head shot...should result in a suspension for as long as the player is out or 1 year maximum.

I know what you're thinking, then if Laraque was injured by Alfie that Montreal may just take their time getting Laraque back in the lineup, but if the NHL were to employ a Dr. in each NHL city and they would determine if the player was ready to return then regardless of whether the team plays him the suspension would be over. For consussions is would be once he was deemed "fit to play" which would mean he passed the base line tests.

So going with that...I see Laraque being gone about 50 games..

EDIT..

Just an FYI...i was a goon in hockey so I'm not speaking from a skewed perspective.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've always liked the idea that the player sits until the injured player can return to play. But like you said, there's room for abuse and policing that policy won't be easy.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Devo wrote:I'm still of the opinion that hits like that or ones from behind or even the dreaded head shot...should result in a suspension for as long as the player is out or 1 year maximum.

I know what you're thinking, then if Laraque was injured by Alfie that Montreal may just take their time getting Laraque back in the lineup, but if the NHL were to employ a Dr. in each NHL city and they would determine if the player was ready to return then regardless of whether the team plays him the suspension would be over. For consussions is would be once he was deemed "fit to play" which would mean he passed the base line tests.

So going with that...I see Laraque being gone about 50 games..

EDIT..

Just an FYI...i was a goon in hockey so I'm not speaking from a skewed perspective.

I don't really believe in that but I do like McGuire's idea of losing the roster spot (just one at a time) when there's a suspension.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Suspension and lose the roster spot until the player can return.

SHABAM!!!!

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

shabbs wrote:I've always liked the idea that the player sits until the injured player can return to play. But like you said, there's room for abuse and policing that policy won't be easy.

I completly agree, but I think you can limit the abuse or chance there of by:

A) Limiting it to a certain type of hits
- Hitting from Behind
- Knee on Knee
- Head Shots
- Slew Foot
- Any other play which results in a 5 and a game

B) Have NHL employed and paid Doctors decide when a player is fit to return. The team and player, can still determine that the injured player isn't ready to return to the ice, but as far as it pertains to the suspension when the Doctor says "he's fit to return" the suspension is over. Up to a maximum of 1 year.

I think those two things, will limit the abuse. I just don't see how a Doctor would stake his reputation and career by lying about the state of a player, and not all hits would apply.

The NHL would never do this, as it effectively takes the suspension out of their hands and makes it black or white. They have no room to say, well A.O. will only be suspended 1 game for the same play that Chris Neal is suspended 15.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Exactly. They want to be able to allow guys like Pronger to beat the snot out of players and continue to play or only face a game here or there as a suspension.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, the league seems to like to have a lot of flexibility when it comes to player suspensions... especially in the post season. They want all that to be done behind closed doors and on their terms.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He should go for 5. Especially based on the DowngoesBrown charts (LOL) - and the fact that he deliberately went after Kronwall after he knew he was gonna be charged with the 1st penalty.

Give him 5 Campbell. No more needless injuries!!!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

5 games it is!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:5 games it is!