GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

3D magic to light up Lord Stanley’s game

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/3d-magic-to-light-up-lord-stanleys-game/article1244076/

Michael Lowe, the producer/director of Calgary’s LoweLife Productions,
has teamed with Conversion Works – the innovative 3D conversion firm
working with Cameron on his classic Terminator and Titanic films – to
create a history of hockey that he hopes will blow the doors off
anything seen by fans before. Lowe recently showed Usual Suspects
samples of what to expect from the marriage of 3D and hockey. The
results might be described as Gary Bettman’s happy dance.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just hope it doesn't look like what they did with Orr's falying game winner against the Blues in the HNIC opening montage. That's almost as bad as some of the Sims 3 "movies" my 12-year-old creates.

"Where's the puck?"

I can't fathom not being able to follow the puck while watching a hockey game. Seriously, how hard is it? Vertigo

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

FireOnIce wrote:"Where's the puck?"

I can't fathom not being able to follow the puck while watching a hockey game. Seriously, how hard is it? Vertigo

Well, sometimes it is obscured from view by the boards or players. With true 3-D you could get around that by rotating the field of view to accommodate. You can't do that with just a camera.

Imagine if they could use a bunch of cameras located all over an arena, transmit the image and then use holographic projection to literally project the game to your house, allowing you to rotate the game (remember "bullet time" from the original Matrix -- something like that but in real-time). Or as a first-cut, perhaps allow an away game to be "played" to a packed house in the team's home arena.

Of course they couldn't charge the same money for the tickets, but you could potentially double your attendance. This is like the marketing guy who added "repeat if necessary" to the shampoo instructions and nearly doubled the company's sales overnight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum