GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Q&A - exclusive one-on-one with ESPN's John Buccigross

+9
spader
SensFan71
jawal
wprager
Cronie
davetherave
Mojo
PTFlea
duffyforever
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Assuming the team as well (or better) under Cory Clouston they way we did the latter part of last season, I think everything rests on Leclaire and the Heatley situation.

Leclaire seems pumped to play and seems to be working very hard to get ready so at this point I'm impressed by his attitude. I watched some footage of him playing in Columbus and he looks solid, not very flashy but he seems to read the play very well and be in position.

Heatley, well what more can be said ? Either he plays for us or BM gets a real good deal for him. Either way we win although we'd be drama free if Heater leaves town and we get a couple of solid players in return.

I'm fairly optimistic for next season, Cory Clouston restored my faith in the team last season so if our team builds from that I think we will have a good year. While I may regret this I think we'll make the playoffs but we will not get far unless Leclaire is really that dependable #1 goalie that we need.

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

duffyforever wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Mojo wrote:This guy brings up some fair points, but I do not agree with his statement saying "I somewhat sympathize with Heatley. He signed a contract he really couldn’t turn down in a place he didn’t really want to be.". If Dany did not want to stay in Ottawa when he signed the contract (right after their cup run), he would not have. He could have easily have waited the year out and went to free agency. Considering what Campbell got last year, Heatley would have made a killing. He did actually take a discount when he signed here. I remember he and Spezza talking about how they both agreed to take a little less so that they could both be signed long term. At the time, Heatley wanted to be here.

Mojo> you bring up a good point about Heatley...and it gives rise to more questions.

If he supposedly didn't want to be in Ottawa, why did he sign the megadeal instead of playing out his option year?

Did Dany have second thoughts after signing the deal?

Did he therefore ask to be traded earlier, even much earlier, than the recent revelation?

Was there an ongoing conflict between him and Bryan Murray, going back beyond this past season, possibly because Dany wanted out and Murray would not/could not accomodate him with a trade?

These are questions that remain unanswered at this point.

It's been something I've been trying to figure out, too. Why sign the deal if he didn't want to be hear. Even if he felt some sort of loyalty to Ottawa for treating him well in his first couple of years out of Atlanta, why take so many years and the NMC? I'm not really lining up with Bucci on his entire thought process on Heatley. Sympathy? Listen, I will agree that Heatley is perfectly within his contractual right to ask for a trade and to even say yes or no to where that trade sends him. We don't like it, but that's his contract. Because he turned down a trade, though, and because the entire request has been a PR nightmare, I have ZERO sympathy for him in this.

I agree that Heatley has the right to ask to be traded. Anybody has the right to leave their employment. I disagree on the right to say yes or no on his NMC. The NMC clause is to protect the player if the GM intiates a trade and plans on moving a player. As we all know it was Heatley who asked to be moved. Personally I think that voids the NMC. Heatley cant have it both ways and hopefully after all this is settled the NHL looks at CBA works toward giving their teams some protection when a player with a NMC clause requests the trade.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

[quote="Phoenix30"]
duffyforever wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Mojo wrote:This guy brings up some fair points, but I do not agree with his statement saying "I somewhat sympathize with Heatley. He signed a contract he really couldn’t turn down in a place he didn’t really want to be.". If Dany did not want to stay in Ottawa when he signed the contract (right after their cup run), he would not have. He could have easily have waited the year out and went to free agency. Considering what Campbell got last year, Heatley would have made a killing. He did actually take a discount when he signed here. I remember he and Spezza talking about how they both agreed to take a little less so that they could both be signed long term. At the time, Heatley wanted to be here.

Mojo> you bring up a good point about Heatley...and it gives rise to more questions.

If he supposedly didn't want to be in Ottawa, why did he sign the megadeal instead of playing out his option year?

Did Dany have second thoughts after signing the deal?

Did he therefore ask to be traded earlier, even much earlier, than the recent revelation?

Was there an ongoing conflict between him and Bryan Murray, going back beyond this past season, possibly because Dany wanted out and Murray would not/could not accomodate him with a trade?

These are questions that remain unanswered at this point.

It's been something I've been trying to figure out, too. Why sign the deal if he didn't want to be hear. Even if he felt some sort of loyalty to Ottawa for treating him well in his first couple of years out of Atlanta, why take so many years and the NMC? I'm not really lining up with Bucci on his entire thought process on Heatley. Sympathy? Listen, I will agree that Heatley is perfectly within his contractual right to ask for a trade and to even say yes or no to where that trade sends him. We don't like it, but that's his contract. Because he turned down a trade, though, and because the entire request has been a PR nightmare, I have ZERO sympathy for him in this.

I agree that Heatley has the right to ask to be traded. Anybody has the right to leave their employment. I disagree on the right to say yes or no on his NMC. The NMC clause is to protect the player if the GM intiates a trade and plans on moving a player. As we all know it was Heatley who asked to be moved. Personally I think that voids the NMC. Heatley cant have it both ways and hopefully after all this is settled the NHL looks at CBA works toward giving their teams some protection when a player with a NMC clause requests the trade.[/quote]

Sorry bout all the quoting, haven't figured out how to only quote the last post yet.

I think it's reasonable to assume that GM's will add a clause to new contracts indicating that the request of a trade voids the NMC. I don't know how long this process will take and how they go about it regarding the CBA, but this has been a pretty substantial black mark on the way contracts are currently worded. The fact that the NHL wants (if we believe the media stories) BM and the Sens to consider litigation is a sign that things will change after all is said and done.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm still not overly optimistic. I will reserve judgment until I see how Karlsson fits in, if Campoli steps up, if Leclaire can shine (And stay healthy), If Elliott can continue to excel as a backup, and what we get for Heatley. I would also like to see if Clouston was just a mirage and can carry this over to the upcoming season.

Too many questions for me. Add in the fact that Phillips has had 2 bad seasons now and things are looking even worse.

I thought Phillips seemed to turn around his year under Clouston as well, he may not be the Big Rig of 2007, but new faces, new philosophy, new season, who knows, Big Rig could still turn it around.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Him and Volchie need to be the tandem they were circa 2007, Kuba and Campoli need to carry the offensive load from the back end and Kovy needs to step up along with Leclaire, Elliott, Foligno, and Shannon. Throw in a continuation of the solid coaching and we have a team that can make some noise. I don't see it happening.

- Unknown Author

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

It's been something I've been trying to figure out, too. Why sign the deal if he didn't want to be hear. Even if he felt some sort of loyalty to Ottawa for treating him well in his first couple of years out of Atlanta, why take so many years and the NMC? I'm not really lining up with Bucci on his entire thought process on Heatley. Sympathy? Listen, I will agree that Heatley is perfectly within his contractual right to ask for a trade and to even say yes or no to where that trade sends him. We don't like it, but that's his contract. Because he turned down a trade, though, and because the entire request has been a PR nightmare, I have ZERO sympathy for him in this.[/quote]

I agree that Heatley has the right to ask to be traded. Anybody has the right to leave their employment. I disagree on the right to say yes or no on his NMC. The NMC clause is to protect the player if the GM intiates a trade and plans on moving a player. As we all know it was Heatley who asked to be moved. Personally I think that voids the NMC. Heatley cant have it both ways and hopefully after all this is settled the NHL looks at CBA works toward giving their teams some protection when a player with a NMC clause requests the trade.[/quote]

Sorry bout all the quoting, haven't figured out how to only quote the last post yet.

I think it's reasonable to assume that GM's will add a clause to new contracts indicating that the request of a trade voids the NMC. I don't know how long this process will take and how they go about it regarding the CBA, but this has been a pretty substantial black mark on the way contracts are currently worded. The fact that the NHL wants (if we believe the media stories) BM and the Sens to consider litigation is a sign that things will change after all is said and done.[/quote]

You've got to wonder what the NHLPA truely thinks about this situation even after they said they werent going to stand in the way of money being exchanged if a trade was made. Are they quietly trying to convience Heatley to take the Edmonton deal knowing that they will be in a battle to keep NMC clauses. Does Heatleys actions or lack of action put a black eye on the rest of the NHLPA membership but requesting a trade and then trying to dictate where he goes. September/October cant come soon enough.

On a side note, based on the Edmonton deal and Murray signing Kovalev, I think any Heatley deal will be for a starting forward, starting Defenceman, and a prospect instead of the 2 forwards and dman that Edmonton was offering.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:
You've got to wonder what the NHLPA truely thinks about this situation even after they said they werent going to stand in the way of money being exchanged if a trade was made. Are they quietly trying to convience Heatley to take the Edmonton deal knowing that they will be in a battle to keep NMC clauses. Does Heatleys actions or lack of action put a black eye on the rest of the NHLPA membership but requesting a trade and then trying to dictate where he goes. September/October cant come soon enough.

On a side note, based on the Edmonton deal and Murray signing Kovalev, I think any Heatley deal will be for a starting forward, starting Defenceman, and a prospect instead of the 2 forwards and dman that Edmonton was offering.

I think there are a lot of things going on in the background. I don't recall any similar situation since the salary cap went into effect where a star player who counts for approximately 12% of the team's cap requested a trade and then held his team hostage to further his own agenda.

Mind you, a guy like Dany Heatley probably doesn't want to be traded to a dead franchise or a city he might consider below par in living quality (which is probably the only two things I can kind of see his way).

But still, I think you will see additional wording in contracts from now on protecting the team from these kinds of clauses. And additionally, I believe GMs are going to be extremely cautious of giving out NTC/NMC to players from now on.

With regards to your last point Phoenix, I think the Senators need to start figuring out ways to move some of the dead weight off of the roster. To acquire another starting defenseman is going to require herculean roster shifting and personnel management.

What do you think they can do to alleviate some of that pressure? Especially if the trade ends up being a 3 for 1/4 for 2 kind of scenario where we are taking on extra bodies when we are already at the roster maximum.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Him and Volchie need to be the tandem they were circa 2007, Kuba and Campoli need to carry the offensive load from the back end and Kovy needs to step up along with Leclaire, Elliott, Foligno, and Shannon. Throw in a continuation of the solid coaching and we have a team that can make some noise. I don't see it happening.

IMHO looking at the comparative depth charts for Ottawa, Toronto, Tampa, Atlanta, the Isles, the Panthers and the Sabres tells you what the Sens chances are of getting back into a playoff spot--as things stand right now.

They're all updated and available here:
http://forecaster.faceoff.com/faceoff/hockey/teamindex.cgi

Obviously, too early to make predictions, but this provides a good snapshot.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, Dave, what do the depth charts tell you?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
IMHO looking at the comparative depth charts for Ottawa, Toronto, Tampa, Atlanta, the Isles, the Panthers and the Sabres tells you what the Sens chances are of getting back into a playoff spot--as things stand right now.

They're all updated and available here:
http://forecaster.faceoff.com/faceoff/hockey/teamindex.cgi

Obviously, too early to make predictions, but this provides a good snapshot.

What a neat site. Huh.

Although, they need badly to put Shannon better than the 5th RW on the depth chart, I like how it's all there for perusal.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

duffyforever wrote:Hey everyone,
I was able to get in touch with ESPN's Jhn Buccigross, who is a Sportscenter anchor and one of their top hockey analysts. Obviously, his hockey-related work is limited to ther espn.com website lately, but he's a great writer. Anyway, hate to post a link to another site, but the Q&A has five good questions for Bucci and is available at www.anothersensblog.blogspot.com. Don't worry, I've got a link to gmhockey there Smile

Anyway, he paints a bleaker picture than what we're all thinking, expressing concerns about Leclaire and the blue line. He also has a strange point of view on Heatley, sounding as if he's wanted to be traded for some time. Any thoughts on that?

Check it out.

Don't worry about posting the link. We have your link up in the scroll on the portal page. If you can send me an image link I'll post it there instead of what I have right now.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum