GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Salary Cap concerns - all teams

+6
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PKC
rooneypoo
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:05 am

I was going to call this the Rooney thread but whatever. I thought a thread dedicated to Cap and CBA issues was worthwhile.

I was thinking about the Chicago situation regarding Bonus cushion and it dawned on me that the CBA extension was good until 2011 at which point it becomes a year by year acceptance by both sides.

What this means, is that this will be the last year of the Bonus cushion. This will have very severe consequences for high draft picks and one-year contracts for players 35 and over.

Teams will have to account for ALL potential bonuses in their cap numbers, whether attained or not.

2Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:15 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:I was going to call this the Rooney thread but whatever. I thought a thread dedicated to Cap and CBA issues was worthwhile.

I was thinking about the Chicago situation regarding Bonus cushion and it dawned on me that the CBA extension was good until 2011 at which point it becomes a year by year acceptance by both sides.

What this means, is that this will be the last year of the Bonus cushion. This will have very severe consequences for high draft picks and one-year contracts for players 35 and over.

Teams will have to account for ALL potential bonuses in their cap numbers, whether attained or not.

LOL @ Rooney thread.

Seriously, what this site could well use is a dedicated space (kinda like those sticky notes) that answers, to the best of the knowledge of our membership (and with reference to the sources at our disposal -- the CBA, NHLSCAP, etc., etc.), a variety of questions about the cap and the CBA, on a question by question basis.

There are too many possible questions and scenarios to treat adequately in one thread, or for one person to be responsible for. In fact, I'd think you'd need one space for general CBA questions that people always come back to, and another for team-specific questions (say, sticky notes at the top of each team thread).

And to get all of that done, you'd need a coordinated team of guys (and gals) working together, all of whom should either know a little something about the CBA now or who are willing to do the research needed to find the right info.

Positively no one at this site has the entire contents of the CBA memorized and at their fingertips. It would have to be a collective, researched effort.

3Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Well you can count me in to that initiative.

4Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

All members can make sticky notes I'm pretty sure so if you're willing to start putting them into the team threads I'm all for it. As for a dedicated forum for CBA and Cap issues I'll talk to the Co-founders but it sounds like it's something we could set up for sure.

- Unknown Author

5Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:08 am

Looking ahead to the Sens Cap situation in 2010/11 is not a pleasant sight.

I am assuming Brian Elliott gets a multiyear one-way contract with a cap hit of 1M. Also, this is with Heatley still in Ottawa.

We will have 46.5M allocated on 12 one-way contracts.

8 forwards - Heatley, Spezza, Kovalev, Alfie, Fisher, Kelly, Neil and Ruttu
2 Dmen - Kuba and Phillips
2 Goalies - Leclair and Elliott

We could be in a terrible position with a cap drop of even 3M.

6Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:Looking ahead to the Sens Cap situation in 2010/11 is not a pleasant sight.

I am assuming Brian Elliott gets a multiyear one-way contract with a cap hit of 1M. Also, this is with Heatley still in Ottawa.

We will have 46.5M allocated on 12 one-way contracts.

8 forwards - Heatley, Spezza, Kovalev, Alfie, Fisher, Kelly, Neil and Ruttu
2 Dmen - Kuba and Phillips
2 Goalies - Leclair and Elliott

We could be in a terrible position with a cap drop of even 3M.

I agree, which is why I think Heatley being shipped out is a foregone conclusion. The Kovalev signing, and the necessity of dealing with so many UFAs (Volchenkov first and foremost, if we can even hold onto him) and especially RFAs (Foligno, Shannon, Picard, Lee, Campoli, Regin, Zubov, Bass) in the next calender year, dictates it.

Hopefully, that means Murray is adjusting his desired return for Heatley to create salary cap flexibility (instead of NHL-ready players with big salaries). With Kovalev now on board, he's got to be looking for a deal with 1 top-6 forward coming back (either on a cap-friendly deal or with only a year or two left on the deal) plus a goody bag full of prospects / picks. The proposed EDM deal suggests he's going the other way, which strikes me as a bad idea; I hope the Kovalev signing changes things on that front.

BTW: I see Eklund's twitter thing says that the Sens are talking to the SJ about Heatley "but SJ has to make another move first" ; and also, that MIN and DAL (along with SJ and EDM) are talking to OTT about Heatley. What's amazing about those two posts is that both scenarios actually make sense. If SJ shipped out Marleau to, say, CLB for picks / prospects / minimal salary return, and then proposed a deal for Heatley centred around either Clowe+ or Michalek+, with the requisite bag of goodies, I'd be interested. Clowe/Michalek + Sateri + Couture sounds like a good starting bid to me.

EDIT: SJ absolutely HAS to move salary either way, btw. They're currently $1.3 mil away from the cap ceiling, and still have 4 F and 1 G position to fill.

7Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah that Ek rumour struck me as making a lot of sense which is weird for him. Did you see his Kaberle to Chicago one though? scratch

- Unknown Author

8Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:34 am

I wouldnt deal for Setari now, rather have a 3rd or a 4th rounder to pick up a small-ish, tallented guy later in the draft next year to be honest.

The nice thing about the Kovalev signing is that now Murray literally cant take back more salary then he is trading. This forces GM's to make a better deal and worry about their cap problems first. Murray can clear up a little over a million dollars in salary fairly easily before the end of the season and still keep Heatley.

San Jose def has to make othe rmoves first... not sure how but I bet giving Blake that contract now doesnt seem like such a good idea even though signing Blake himself isnt that bad of a thing or deal.

9Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:I wouldnt deal for Setari now, rather have a 3rd or a 4th rounder to pick up a small-ish, tallented guy later in the draft next year to be honest.

The nice thing about the Kovalev signing is that now Murray literally cant take back more salary then he is trading. This forces GM's to make a better deal and worry about their cap problems first. Murray can clear up a little over a million dollars in salary fairly easily before the end of the season and still keep Heatley.

San Jose def has to make othe rmoves first... not sure how but I bet giving Blake that contract now doesnt seem like such a good idea even though signing Blake himself isnt that bad of a thing or deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bingo only have 1 AHL-ready goalie right now in M. Brodeur? I think the organization still needs to add an AHL goalie, no?

10Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:46 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I wouldnt deal for Setari now, rather have a 3rd or a 4th rounder to pick up a small-ish, tallented guy later in the draft next year to be honest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bingo only have 1 AHL-ready goalie right now in M. Brodeur? I think the organization still needs to add an AHL goalie, no?

I'm sure that Mike O'Keefe is there but an AHL backup should be easy to find.

11Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:47 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:I was going to call this the Rooney thread but whatever. I thought a thread dedicated to Cap and CBA issues was worthwhile.

LOL @ Rooney thread.

Seriously, what this site could well use is a dedicated space (kinda like those sticky notes) that answers, to the best of the knowledge of our membership (and with reference to the sources at our disposal -- the CBA, NHLSCAP, etc., etc.), a variety of questions about the cap and the CBA, on a question by question basis.

There are too many possible questions and scenarios to treat adequately in one thread, or for one person to be responsible for. In fact, I'd think you'd need one space for general CBA questions that people always come back to, and another for team-specific questions (say, sticky notes at the top of each team thread).

And to get all of that done, you'd need a coordinated team of guys (and gals) working together, all of whom should either know a little something about the CBA now or who are willing to do the research needed to find the right info.

Positively no one at this site has the entire contents of the CBA memorized and at their fingertips. It would have to be a collective, researched effort.

You do the thread, I'll happily sticky it. cool)

12Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Isn't Glass still around Wink

- Unknown Author

13Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:48 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:All members can make sticky notes I'm pretty sure so if you're willing to start putting them into the team threads I'm all for it. As for a dedicated forum for CBA and Cap issues I'll talk to the Co-founders but it sounds like it's something we could set up for sure.

Oh, yeah, for sure. That's Kool and the Gang. cool)

14Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:50 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'm sure that Mike O'Keefe is there but an AHL backup should be easy to find.

Hmmm. The problem in dealing with SJ, then, strikes me as follows: what exactly do they have to offer in terms of prospects otherwise?

Would a deal of Clowe/Michalek + Couture + McGinn / 1st be enough? Getting a SJ first rounder is pretty much a guaranteed 20-30th pick, which, while valuable, is not exactly a hot commodity. Consider, again, that Pronger brought back Lupul, Sbisa, 2 firsts, and (I think) a third.

15Salary Cap concerns - all teams Empty Re: Salary Cap concerns - all teams Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:50 am

rooneypoo wrote:

Glass

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum