GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ray Emery to be Philly's starting goalie this year

+11
davetherave
Phoenix30
wprager
Acrobat
Flo The Action
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?Panaccio-Flyers-to-Sign-G-Emery=1&blockID=56999&feedID=695

Barring a collapse in negotiations, the Flyers are expected to sign Ray Emery as their starting goalie for next season.

Several general managers at the Stanley Cup Final consider the matter a “done deal.” Emery was Ottawa’s property until released by the Senators last June.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren declined to confirm what others are saying at the Cup Final.

“We’ve had conversations with his agent [J.P. Barry] about a lot of things,” Holmgren said. “But I’m not going to comment on our internal discussions of players.”

Barry told CSNPhilly.com he is confident a contract will get done.

"We have been talking several weeks now," Barry said from Calgary, Alberta. "Paul has done due diligence on Ray. I'm hopeful it will lead to a contract."

Wow, I saw signing potentially but STARTING... holy crap. I would personally take Biron over Emery but I guess they are rolling the dice in hopes his head is on straight...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I've heard of worse moves, but eventually the Flyers will have to get an upper-echelon tender like a Giguere - or all their talent will be for nothing.

Ray's okay, but...he's better suited for a team like Colorado, who has a long way to go, than he is for the Flyers, where a Cup has to come sooner rather than later.

Meh...whatever... Shrug

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ray's persona of a fighting, in your face, edgy, controversial goalie is just like Hextall, so this is a perfect Philly move. Emery's also got a lot to prove, and he just might surprise everyone, if they've yet to realize how good he can be.

Giguere would be gold for them. The have a nucleus that is just a solid goaltender away from being contenders. But this is par for the course in Philly. Never had a great goaltender since Pelle Linberg maybe JVB was okay... but haven't had a great goalie in a while....

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MurderOnIce wrote:Giguere would be gold for them. The have a nucleus that is just a solid goaltender away from being contenders. But this is par for the course in Philly. Never had a great goaltender since Pelle Linberg maybe JVB was okay... but haven't had a great goalie in a while....

My philosophy on goalies is roll the dice on the cheapest, yet somewhat proven one you can find. Even "star" goalies are a crapshoot. Might as well play the same odds with a lower stake.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Would that take his buyout of our books?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:Would that take his buyout of our books?

I don't believe so, no. That would be nice though.

Well at least this garentees them that they wont beat Pitts next year either.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:

So he'll be getting paid by 3 teams? Didn't he sign a two year deal in Russia?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
504Heater wrote:

So he'll be getting paid by 3 teams? Didn't he sign a two year deal in Russia?

He had an out-clause for the NHL with the KHL team.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We all knew he'd be back. So the Flyers are taking a gamble with goaltending again. This one could really pay off.

- Unknown Author

Gonna have to learn how to stop the puck consistantly.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sportsnet coverage: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/03/emery_flyers/

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

there is no way philly could put Giguere salary in their cap... i think this is then rolling their dice trying to stay within the cap without losing anybody... next we'll see Jay Bo signs in Philly! 🇬🇬

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum