GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The coolest invention ever?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The coolest invention ever? Empty The coolest invention ever? Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

It's codename is 'Project Natal', and it might just be the coolest thing ever invented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U

You can find more videos on it in the related search tab once you click to watch the clip.

2The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:15 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Way cool... but I'll believe it when I see it.

3The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 pm

I'll have to give my vote to the push up bra. Sarcasm

4The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:34 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The g-string?

5The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Very cool. It's a few years and many millions of dollars in the future, of course. I don't think the 360 will still be called 360 by the time this is out. Oh, and with no actual visible markers identifying various body parts, this thing will have to rely on identifying joints. And this means no-more baggy pants that kids today like to wear. Especially the ones with the waist half way down their a$$.

That, alone, is certainly worth the many millions of dollars in research.

6The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:16 am

PKC wrote:It's codename is 'Project Natal', and it might just be the coolest thing ever invented.

You can find more videos on it in the related search tab once you click to watch the clip.

As a videogame fan, I must say that this is not cool at all. Controllers are the way to go by far; hopefully this is just an option. This fully body motion stuff has been around for ages but is only now becoming popular (i used to have this circle motion detector for my Sega Genesis (w. 32x) that allowed me to play virtua fighter and a few other games with my entire body). This is bassically a wii with better graphics. I much rather have a beer on a rainy day, sit down and play a few hours of a really good game.

p.s. sucks to be Nintendo

7The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Very cool. It's a few years and many millions of dollars in the future, of course. I don't think the 360 will still be called 360 by the time this is out. Oh, and with no actual visible markers identifying various body parts, this thing will have to rely on identifying joints. And this means no-more baggy pants that kids today like to wear. Especially the ones with the waist half way down their a$$.

That, alone, is certainly worth the many millions of dollars in research.

According to some, the target release date is 2010, although I'm not sure which quarter they're aiming for.

Also, the way that I think the motion sensor works is it uses the spatial dimensions of the room to calculate body position and movement.

8The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:44 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Blazer wrote:
PKC wrote:It's codename is 'Project Natal', and it might just be the coolest thing ever invented.

As a videogame fan, I must say that this is not cool at all. Controllers are the way to go by far; hopefully this is just an option. This fully body motion stuff has been around for ages but is only now becoming popular (i used to have this circle motion detector for my Sega Genesis (w. 32x) that allowed me to play virtua fighter and a few other games with my entire body). This is bassically a wii with better graphics. I much rather have a beer on a rainy day, sit down and play a few hours of a really good game.

Well friend, we're in different boats then. I for one can't wait to see the full extent of this devices uses. For me, if they can get one of the NHL franchises to work with it, I'll be in heaven.

9The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 pm

PKC wrote:
Blazer wrote:

Well friend, we're in different boats then. I for one can't wait to see the full extent of this devices uses. For me, if they can get one of the NHL franchises to work with it, I'll be in heaven.

Yeah, the difference in how well this is received is going to be entirely based on the type of video game fan. Casual gamers will love it. Hardcore gamers will have nothing of it <-- unfortunately, hardcore gamers only occupy a very small percentile of the market.

Personally, I dont really get why people buy these "full body motion control" devise. If I want to play sports, I go outside and play; not to mention that the motion captioning will never be able to replicate mother nature so I would never be satisfied will my results. Remember how frustrated you have been when playing a sports game and your "player" did not do what you told him to do. Now imagine your playing NHL XX with this natal system, loosing a game by 1 with a minute left, are on a breakaway, YOU do a wrist shot aimed at the right corner, and your player does a slap shot right on the goalie...Are you telling me your not going to be way more frustrated? Perhaps even smash the TV with your stick?

In the end, video games should not be a means of getting or staying in shape and will never replace the real thing. They will not allow you to improve your skills in any way, shape, or form. And in regards to this natal system, the only interesting thing about it is that it can be integrated to windows. This, in and of itself, is really cool because it is basically the beginning of your whole entertainement system being controlled without controllers and by voice/hand gestures. Kinda like in Back to the Future when he goes to the Future...

10The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:31 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I thought "Ginger" was the coolest invention ever?!?

11The coolest invention ever? Empty Re: The coolest invention ever? Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:49 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Blazer wrote:Personally, I dont really get why people buy these "full body motion control" devise. If I want to play sports, I go outside and play

There are lots of reasons people would buy these.

1. It's a hell of a lot easier to plug on an Xbox 360 than it is to throw together 12 guys and rent a basketball court.
2. You can play outdoor "sports" at night.
3. Chicks will actually play them with you.
4. The convenience of your own living room.
5. You don't have to worry about weather conditions.

The Wii and the new Natal have never claimed to be sports replacements. They're a new input device.

I don't own any gaming platforms, and I'm struggling to think of something that will affect my life less than this Natal will.

PS, as far as improving your actual skills, for children video games have been shown to improve hand-eye coordination. A skill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum