GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Luongo Leaving Vancouver?

+7
PTFlea
Mojo
wprager
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
shabbs
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 7:25 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

It didn't take long for the sore losers in Nuckland to turn on their idol, did it? Since Vancouver got bounced by the Blackhawks and Bobby Lu got ripped for seven goals in Game Six, and the team for a shocking--to Nucklovers--23 goals in the six game series, the blame game from fans and the press has now settled on Captain Roberto himself.

The Vancouver Sun's Cam Cole tells it this way:

Luongo Might Have To Go
At what point does cost exceed benefit?

Cam Cole, The Vancouver Sun/Tuesday, May 12, 2009

All right, bitter Vancouverites. You've vented, you've called him a bum and a waste of money and a choker and ... have we left anything out?

So the bloom is off the rose, and Roberto Luongo is not your man any more. We get it. You want him gone.

Well, then. This column will make you happy, because there is a case to be made for it.

A case that has nothing to do with whether he is a terrific goaltender or not. A case that has nothing to do with the seven goals he let in, a few of them suspect, on Monday night, or the 21 the Chicago Blackhawks put past him in the six games it took to polish off the Canucks.

That wasn't pretty, but it wasn't the reason, either.

It's simple, really.

The Western Conference final, not knowing the result of Tuesday night's game as this is being written, will feature Nikolai Khabibulin in goal for the Hawks against either Detroit's Chris Osgood or Anaheim's Jonas Hiller. In the East, it's Carolina's Cam Ward or Boston's Tim Thomas against Washington's Simeon Varlamov or Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury.

The winning goaltenders of the Stanley Cup since the last time a "franchise" goaltender - Martin Brodeur in 2003 - backstopped the victorious team have been Khabibulin, Ward, Jean-Sebastien Giguere and Osgood, who has won two Cups already and could make it three this spring. Among the losing finalists' goalies have been Dwayne Roloson and Ray Emery.

The point is, there are plenty of ways to skin a cat in today's NHL that do not involve tying up $8 million in the goaltending position. And most of the successful teams out there in playoff land have found the way.

That's not to say they wouldn't love to have a franchise goaltender, but the question is: at what point does cost exceed benefit?

Vancouver GM Mike Gillis will have that conundrum staring him in the face as he sizes up his options for rebuilding the Canucks before next season begins.

On one level, it seems a scandalous suggestion that a team should volunteer to be weaker in goal.

On another, trading Luongo this summer might be the only way the Canucks can afford to make the changes necessary to take the next step.

Even with Luongo, they clearly weren't good enough on defence to overcome an aggressive, fast Chicago team that kept rolling line after line of young legs at them.

It may, in fact, be time to let go of the common wisdom hereabouts that the Canucks have as good a top-four defence as there is in the league. The Hawks put the lie to that bit of hubris.

If they lose Mattias Ohlund, they are going to need a puck-moving defenceman.

Enter Florida's Jay Bouwmeester, whom Gillis likes very much. He wouldn't be cheap.

When Mats Sundin goes, taking his pricey ticket with him, Gillis will need to do much better with his next set of forward acquisitions, and if you can see a way of injecting front-line scoring talent into the lineup that doesn't require trading a major asset, let's hear it.

The Canucks would probably have to take a goaltender back in trade, whether that's Carey Price from Montreal or whomever from Philly or Washington, to name just a few contending teams that might be looking for an impact goalie.

That would mean one of the above battling Cory Schneider for the Canucks goaltending job ... with a lot better team in front of him. Not a terrible option.

Meanwhile, the Canucks could probably ask for, and get, a Jeff Carter from Philly, or a scoring forward and a draft pick or two from just about any team that sees Roberto Luongo as the missing piece of the puzzle. And in doing so, if they keep Daniel and Henrik Sedin, they might finally have the secondary scoring line that Sundin and Pavol Demitra never delivered.

Philly hasn't had goaltending since Ron Hextall. One of these days, the Flyers are going to figure that out.

The trick for Gillis, at any rate, is to find the team that has the itch, and the available players and/or draft picks to scratch it with.

The trick is to find a team that hasn't yet figured out what must now be dawning on the Canucks: That a franchise goaltender can only go as far as his supporting cast allows, and the one in place at the moment is not nearly good enough.

Roberto Luongo is the farthest thing from a bum, but he's only got one body to offer the cause, and the Canucks might need, when all is said and done, a half dozen.

By the time summer is over, this will finally have to be Mike Gillis's team. But it won't happen without a bold decision or two.

ccole@vancouversun.com

---

So does that bold decision involve, possibly, Ottawa?

Should Bryan Murray punch his speed dial and offer part or all of the SpezleyHeatza Equation to Mad Mike Gillis, he who has shelled out the shekels for Suave Swedes...only to see his Moby Nucks sink beneath the playoff waves?

And if not...what next?

Our GM Hockey gang will no doubt have some juicy perspectives on the matter.

2Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 8:18 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Luongo's a UFA after next season, if the 'Nucks want to maximize their return, they may have to sign and trade.

3Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 9:06 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Good point Shabbs, I didn't even think of that.

Personally, I think blaming Luongo is horse Dung, I understand that they are upset, and I understand that Luongo had never in his Canuck career let up 7 goals to a team in the regular season or playoffs. This was a horrible nigth for him, and I don't think even he can explain it.

I would take Luongo in a heartbeat, personally. We haven't had a real number 1 since Hasek, and that didn't last too long. I believe that it is absolutely important to have a bonafide number 1 goalie for those situtations like the one Washington and Pittsburgh find themselves in at the moment. Those 2 teams have mad offense and trade goal for goal. The winner of that series will absolutely be determined by who can stop the last puck.

I have said for years that the only way I'd trade Spezza is if I could get Luongo. I would still do it today. If they want to go that route, they can get Spezza and Leclaire and we can take Luongo and Ohlund off their hands (or someone of that ilk) I keep hearing Ohlund's name, but I am not that familiar with him.

We keep hearing that goaltending isn't everything, you have to have the full supporting cast to complement your goaltender, I believe we have that here. Yes, our defense is a mess because we have too many number 5 and 6 guys, but I believe we can make it work.

I will say though, the salary is pretty ludicrous and at some point if the cap goes down, there will be some pretty big names that will be left out in the cold. Some of these players will have to start to be more realistic with the salaries they want.

4Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 9:10 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Hossa should absolutely sign with the Canucks. I have a feeling it will happen. Detroit absolutely cannot re-sign him, they're already kissing the cap next year as it is. Hossa would be a great fit for them, Sundin should just retire and get it over with, he was absolutely useless and a waste of space since the moment he got into that uniform. Not that anyone really could have predicted him being as useless as he was, but WOW, brutal! They could've used that money to get someone of value to help them out. I thought for sure Sundin would have been a force in the playoffs, especially considering he was on a great team this year that actually had a legitimate shot of winning the Cup.

5Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 9:40 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He doesn't fit in Ottawa anymore. We have a Leclaire and he's considerably cheaper. Even "proven" goalies are a crapshoot.

If it was linked to another deal that would rid us of Fisher for Burrows or Kesler, I'd look at it.

6Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

In Luongo's defense, his defense played horribly against him. Of the 7 that went in I thought one was kinda weak, but even then the guy was allowed to walk in and take a shot unmolested. It seemed the only time his D-men got involved in a tussle in front they actually screened him.

On that last goal, though, if he had the confidence he would have come out more instead of coming across his crease, right in the blue. If he had come across and out there's no way Kane has an angle. As it was, with his positioning, there was no way to stop it.

7Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 9:44 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensGirl11 wrote:Hossa should absolutely sign with the Canucks. I have a feeling it will happen. Detroit absolutely cannot re-sign him, they're already kissing the cap next year as it is. Hossa would be a great fit for them, Sundin should just retire and get it over with, he was absolutely useless and a waste of space since the moment he got into that uniform. Not that anyone really could have predicted him being as useless as he was, but WOW, brutal! They could've used that money to get someone of value to help them out. I thought for sure Sundin would have been a force in the playoffs, especially considering he was on a great team this year that actually had a legitimate shot of winning the Cup.

Predicted? You don't have to look any further than last year with Niedermayer and Sellanne. Neither one was a force after sitting out more than half the season. Even Brodeur, this year, he was rested and in much better shape, but something was missing. I think you need 50 or so games to feel part of the team.

8Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 am

All packed and ready to leave...Just finishing up the last couple of loose ends before I head out..

Anyway I just had to post. Does anyone else think that Luongo's Playoffs this year reminds you of Lalime that year he was run out of town. He really won most of the games for Vancouver being out shot badly, at least in the Chicago games, and in his last game it all came crumbling down on him.

Lalime wasn't a bad goalie, and if the city and team had stood behind him things may have been different for him. With that said, running a goalie like Luongo out of Vancouver is just idiocy. Brodeur would never be run out of Jersey, and if they think they will replace that kind of goaltending with just any UFA they are sadly mistaken.

Have fun..I'll miss this

DW

9Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:31 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I see where you're coming from DW, but I don't think Lalime and Luongo should ever be mentioned in the same breath. Lalime was a pretty decent goalie playing behind a very good team. Luongo is an excellent goalie playing behind a pretty decent team. Lalime's shortcomings were laregely reponsible for the Sens having poor playoff successes (except for 2003), whereas no one has been more responsible for Vancourver's relative playoff success than Luongo.

10Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:34 am

Mojo wrote:I see where you're coming from DW, but I don't think Lalime and Luongo should ever be mentioned in the same breath. Lalime was a pretty decent goalie playing behind a very good team. Luongo is an excellent goalie playing behind a pretty decent team. Lalime's shortcomings were laregely reponsible for the Sens having poor playoff successes (except for 2003), whereas no one has been more responsible for Vancourver's relative playoff success than Luongo.

Completely agree...I just thought it weird that both goalies were are will be?? run out of town after having good playoffs yet getting lambasted in their last game.

Lalime's numbers that year he imploded were unbelievable..one has to wonder if we lost that final game 3-2 would he have been around a little longer.

11Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:37 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dawg's Wife wrote:All packed and ready to leave...Just finishing up the last couple of loose ends before I head out..

Anyway I just had to post. Does anyone else think that Luongo's Playoffs this year reminds you of Lalime that year he was run out of town. He really won most of the games for Vancouver being out shot badly, at least in the Chicago games, and in his last game it all came crumbling down on him.

Lalime wasn't a bad goalie, and if the city and team had stood behind him things may have been different for him. With that said, running a goalie like Luongo out of Vancouver is just idiocy. Brodeur would never be run out of Jersey, and if they think they will replace that kind of goaltending with just any UFA they are sadly mistaken.

Have fun..I'll miss this

DW

Do you have to leave for good? Or could you still discuss hockey without naming specific names etc.? I ask because you've always been a great contributor - and I actually totally believe you when you say you'll miss it.

12Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:38 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I still can't imagine that Luongo will be run out of town. Maybe fans are just bitter for the moment and will calm down when they realise that losing in the playoffs isn't the end of the world and that they still have one of the best goalies in the world and owuld be crazy for even thinking of trading him. Also, how often does it happen where the team's captain is run out of town? I can think of Joey Jo Jo in Boston. Any others?

13Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

To the topic at hand:

Ahhhhh!

Absolutely we should be in the running. Diddle Leclaire. Leclaire + Spezza for Luongo. The Nucks do what they want to do - spend less in net. Get the center to replace one of the sisters and shift salary around a bit. Perhaps the deal gets broadened a little, but Luongo is still All-World, despite having one bad game. Facepalm

Fickle fools in Vancouver. If this happens, they'll beat the crap out each other looking for the 'next great goalie'.

14Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:43 am

Anyone who would run Luongo out of town is extremely short sighted, but in the same breath, anyone who doesnt have serious questions about his mental toughness and ability to win in pressure situations, I have issue with that as well.

So far Luongo NHL career has been great regular seasons and very little playoffs success. He has been in the league 10 years now and is turning into a Cujo, not a Brodure. This can all change with one playoff run but as of yet it has not. Can Luongo carry a team when it matters? Even going back to Jr he was awful in the one shot he had at the Mem Cup, so it's not a new thing.

Winning is something that a lot of players never figure out, could Luongo be one of those guys?

15Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 am

504Heater wrote:To the topic at hand:

Ahhhhh!

Absolutely we should be in the running. Diddle Leclaire. Leclaire + Spezza for Luongo. The Nucks do what they want to do - spend less in net. Get the center to replace one of the sisters and shift salary around a bit. Perhaps the deal gets broadened a little, but Luongo is still All-World, despite having one bad game. Facepalm

Fickle fools in Vancouver. If this happens, they'll beat the crap out each other looking for the 'next great goalie'.

At one point I would have been all over that, not anymore. Luongo rasied way too many questions with his play to actually toss away a guy like Leclaire (who very well could be the answer to the Sens 15 year long struggle for goaltending) and Spezza, who could/should be dealt for other pieces in Ottawa.

I wouldnt give up the world for Luongo anymore, especially with him being a pending UFA who will get top dollar after that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum