GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

SCP '09 GAME DAY: MONDAY MAY 11--WASHINGTON AT PITTSBURGH, 7PM ET

+3
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SCP '09 GAME DAY: MONDAY MAY 11--WASHINGTON AT PITTSBURGH, 7PM ET WasWashington at SCP '09 GAME DAY: MONDAY MAY 11--WASHINGTON AT PITTSBURGH, 7PM ET PitPittsburgh

GAME SIX, STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS EAST SEMIFINAL
PENGUINS LEAD SERIES 3-2

7:00 PM ET, May 11, 2009
Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

TSN/RDS/Versus

Capitals-Penguins Preview

MORE AT ESPN.COM: http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=290511016

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- There is every reason for the Pittsburgh Penguins to think it's over. They've won three games in a row, they're back at home, and they've done this so many times before to the Washington Capitals that it's almost as if they're following a script.

The players and the coaches change, the results don't. The Penguins go down two games, only to snatch back control with a late surge as a Mario Lemieux or a Jaromir Jagr, a Sidney Crosby or an Evgeni Malkin take change.

Happened in 1992, 1995 and 1996. It's happening again in 2009, despite all that Capitals star Alex Ovechkin is doing -- and, with seven of Washington's 15 goals, there's almost nothing more he can do in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Except to pull off what would rank as the greatest escape act in Capitals history, one even better than the first-round comeback in which they trailed the Rangers 3-1 before they won three consecutive games.

Ovechkin says the Capitals can do it. He's almost promising they can do it. To him, a potential elimination Game 6 in Pittsburgh on Monday night won't end the Capitals' season, but will be the start of a comeback that their fans and the hockey world will talk about for years.

"Next game is going to be different," Ovechkin said after the Penguins beat the Capitals for the second time in two nights, winning 4-3 in overtime on Saturday.

"It's not over yet. If somebody thinks it's over, it's not over. ... We're going to come back here (to Washington) again, Game 7."

Ovechkin will need some help if he's going to pull this off, and that's part of the Capitals' problem. Ovechkin isn't getting any, and Crosby and Malkin are.

Of Pittsburgh's two big names, one is having a good series (Malkin, 2 goals and 3 assists) and the other a better-than-good series (Crosby, 5 goals and 3 assists).

But the Penguins turned it around only when their second and third lines began scoring, with Ruslan Fedotenko getting a goal in each of the last three games, Jordan Staal scoring his first goal in 11 playoff games and Matt Cooke his first since the 2004 playoffs.

Fedotenko was a disappointment to the Penguins by scoring only 16 goals in 65 games this season, but he has four goals in his last seven playoff games.

"We got it (secondary scoring) in the first couple of games and we won," Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said Sunday. "They've gotten it the last couple of games and they've won. So, hopefully it's our turn."

Still, the Capitals must be wondering if they've set themselves up for yet another failure by the franchise against the Penguins, who won six of the seven previous playoff matchups between the rivals -- five times after trailing.

Even after they lost Games 3 and 4 in Pittsburgh, the Capitals could have won the series by maintaining home-ice advantage. They gave that away by losing

Saturday, when Malkin's pass intended for Crosby banked in off Tom Poti's stick for the game-winning goal. This may be one time the Capitals regret that Poti employs one of the longest sticks ever used in the NHL.

However, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma realizes that desperation often is the biggest motivator of all, and that Washington is certain to have it.

"When you get down 2-0, that fear of not winning and not moving on is there," Bylsma said Sunday. "We got the desperation in our game we needed and we've put ourselves in a situation to move on. The guys in that (dressing) room know exactly what's at stake and what's in front of us for Game 6. We expect a team that's going to be real desperate ... a team that's good, that's dangerous, that's going to be giving everything they've got."

Withstand that desperation, and the Penguins will play in the Eastern Conference finals for the second season in a row. They last did that while winning the Stanley Cup in 1991 and 1992.

There's also this stat for the Capitals to ponder. The Penguins have never lost when they had the chance to close out Washington in a series, going 6-0.

The Penguins want to avoid what happened last month, when they lost a potential series-ending Game 5 to the Flyers 3-0 at home. That forced them to go on the road and win 5-3 in Game 6, despite allowing Philadelphia to score the first three goals.

"I think we learned from that," Staal said. "We know how big a game this is and how important it is for us."

Sergei Gonchar hasn't been ruled out for Monday's game, although it appeared the knee-to-knee hit that Ovechkin gave him in Game 4 might sideline the Penguins defenseman for the rest of the playoffs.

"I'm hoping he improves and we can see him on the ice, and we'll go from there," Bylsma said.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Do or die for the Caps.

I see a win by the Caps tonight pushing it to a Game 7.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't mind if the Caps win tonight, so long as they promise to lose the next game Smile

Realistically, though, the Pens do *not* want to go back there. This has all the makings of a great game.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Game over for the Caps tonight me thinks.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wanna hear something hilarious?

Donald Brashear is eligible to return to action. Laughing3

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Wanna hear something hilarious?

Donald Brashear is eligible to return to action. Laughing3
It's all over for the Pens.

Laughing3

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Game over for the Caps tonight me thinks.

i wouldnt quite go that far yes it was just against the rangers but when they had to play desperate everyone showed up and they came back from 3-1 so i think they have a good chance as long as they play desperate hockey

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Their great play against the Rangers stemmed from an unknown in goal who played lights out. Last few games, though, a lot of pucks having been going in high glove side. And recently he hasn't been so much as waving at them as they go by. I think there's something wrong with the kid -- not physically, but emotionally. If you don't have a super quick glove hand you have to come out more to challenge the shooter and cut down the angles. You can't stop an NHL-calibre shot with an average glove hand if you are sitting back in your net.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
i wouldnt quite go that far yes it was just against the rangers but when they had to play desperate everyone showed up and they came back from 3-1 so i think they have a good chance as long as they play desperate hockey

Agreed, these two teams are pretty evenly matched, but there's a sense of calm that the Pens have that I don't really think the Caps have yet. There seems to be a fair bit of flailing going on.

Anything can happen for sure, but I'd bet on the flightless birds tonight.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

rangers may have not been smart enough to pick up on it he is a rookie played more in the playoffs than the reg season he needs more seasoning and now he is starting to look like the rookie he is

Well gentlemen, big double header tonight ...

I predict both Pittsburg and Chicago finish it !

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Caps are gonna need to get more shots on net...

Shots are 17-4 for the Pens so far.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

the caps are not playing desparate hockey right now

hmm, cbc not showing the game ....azzzzzif!

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

HowieMorenz wrote:hmm, cbc not showing the game ....azzzzzif!

tsn has it tonight they switched a game with cbc

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum