GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Empty Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Sun May 10, 2009 11:35 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Washington Capitals' owner Ted Leonsis is first class all the way. The former Chairman of AOL is not only a megasuccessful businessman, he's applied his principles to the ownership of his NHL franchise.

His bio here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Leonsis

"Leonsis has been called one of the most fan-friendly owners in professional sports, occasionally greeting fans in the arena and always responding to their e-mails."

Visible in the stands for many games, Leonsis has worked very hard indeed to build the Capitals into a success on the ice as well as at the gate.

When they drafted Alexander Ovechkin, he reportedly told Ovie, "We're going to be lousy for a few years. But we're going to be a great team, and that's why we need you."

Ted's Takes is Leonsis' blog. Being playoff time, I thought our GM Hockey members would enjoy reading Leonsis' latest. You can also write to him, by the way. Link here:

http://www.tedstake.com/?p=3854

Make Our Own Luck

Ted Leonsis/May 10, 2009, Washington DC

That is what we have to do now. It is win or go home time again. We played a fine game last night as did Pittsburgh. The difference in both our team’s play is very small. We can’t whine about the outcome. We must remain positive and focus on the task at hand on Monday night.

I thought both teams played brilliantly last night. It was great playoff hockey and it showcased the best the NHL has to offer.

We have the odds stacked against us now so what else is new? Eighty-five percent of the time, the team that wins Game 5 and then plays Game 6 at home wins the series.

We have faced long odds before. We must remain upbeat; play one shift at a time; win out period by period; and we must stay focused for a full 60 minutes. If we do that, we can come home for a Game 7.

Pittsburgh is a great team and played very well last night although I thought we deserved better. Our play was of high quality and we played to our capabilities.

I was thinking as I walked out of the building last night that in ten years of ownership, nine seasons of play and five playoff series; WE have never been up 5 men to 4 in OT. I remember losing two games to Tampa on a 5 on 3 and 5 on 4 in OT. I remember losing Game 7 last season to the Flyers in OT on a 5 on 4 and last night the same fate awaited us.

I thought the officiating was good last night.

There were only 3 penalties called all game. I thought we could have drawn 2 penalties in OT and been up 5 men on 4 but thus we were the team to draw the call and went down 5 on 4 and there you go, another OT loss while we have a man in the box.

The formula for us is simple.

Do not allow the on ice officials to play a role in the game. End the game in regulation with a win or just stay out of the box by playing with more discipline. In Game 3 - which we lost in OT - we were shorthanded because we created a game delay penalty. Staying out of the box is crucial for us.

Every game but one this series has been decided by one goal. We have lost two games in OT where our own D men have deflected shots into our own goal.

We shouldn’t put ourselves into that position.

We just need to put that all behind us and focus on more positive outcomes and on Monday night.

Notes:
I noticed several fisticuff related events in the stands last night. That is unacceptable and it doesn’t matter to me and us who provoked what.

Safety and security are our primary deliverables in the arena and I am asking again for our fans to please show restraint and honor.

I also want to note that opposing team fans must also show some restraint. Making an obscene gesture and taunting fans is not safe.

All fans are responsible for their own safety and I am hopeful our fans will never act in this manner in another city.

NHL playoff hockey is all about intensity and emotion. However there is a line that shouldn’t be crossed by any and all fans and I am simply making a plea for some decorum and better manners to help assure a quality experience for everyone.

I was very disappointed in some of our fans that threw bottles, pom-poms and coins onto the ice at the end of the game.

We will enforce all measures against you if we find out who is responsible.

Please behave. Our fans and our city and our players deserve it.

OK. We head out to Pittsburgh on Monday. We prepare today and tomorrow for the most important game of our season.

Win or go home for us. Wish us luck. We hope to see everyone again on Wednesday night back in DC.

2Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Empty Re: Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

This is the first time I've heard of an owner calling out the fans for inappropriate behaviour. Good on Ted.

3Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Empty Re: Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Mon May 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah by looking at him I thought he was some slimeball but solely from
an interview he had with Lansberg on OTR he really came off as a super
nice guy with some good values.

4Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Empty Re: Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

pretty sure he got into a fight with a fan 6-7 years ago - i think it was outside of his box in the lobby.

water under the bridge though - the guy has done a great job.

5Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Empty Re: Caps' Ted Leonsis: A Class Act Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

yah I remember the reports on that. Im sure he does have a temper but its something I can relate to at least :p

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum