GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Richard Zednik signs in the KHL for 2 years

+4
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
SensFan71
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's a little surprising to me that Zednick would go to the KHL but whatever.

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

i find this a little doubtful all i have found is reports from lokomotiv yaroslavl that they signed him..which we all know reports out of the KHL are less than reliable

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Florida Panthers' Zednik signs with Russian team

Player who suffered gruesome neck injury won't return to NHL next season

Steve Gorten, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
2:15 PM EDT, April 30, 2009

SUNRISE, Florida--Richard Zednik will not play for the Florida Panthers or any other NHL team next season.

Zednik, 33, has signed a two-year contract with Russian Superleague team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, the team reported on its Web Site on Thursday. An NHL source confirmed the report.

The Superleague is the highest division of hockey in Russia.

Zednik, who has played the past two seasons with the Panthers after signing as a free agent, was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Back in his native Slovakia, Zednik couldn't be reached for comment Thursday. Asked about the contract with Lokomotiv, one of Zednik's two agents, David Shantia, told the Sun Sentinel, "I have no comment to make" and referred all questions to colleague Allan Walsh, who also represents Panthers wingers Michael Frolik and Rostislav Olesz.

Walsh didn't immediately return a messages from the Sun Sentinel.

On Thursday, Zednik was named one of three finalists for the NHL's Masterton Trophy, given annually to the player who "best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey." The winner will be named June 18.

Zednik had 17 goals and 16 assists in 70 games this past season returning from a gruesome neck injury on Feb. 10, 2008.

In the third period of a game in Buffalo that night, Zednik's carotid artery was slashed by the skate blade of then-teammate Olli Jokinen and he nearly lost his life. Zednik had 15 goals and 11 assists in 54 games in 2007-08 before the injury.

Zednik made $1.75 million this past season.

Copyright ©️ 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Too bad, Zed played many years in Montreal, and really played with heart. I wished habs coulda fit him in on the fourth line or something ... better than kostopolous anyways ... Take care Zed!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

HowieMorenz wrote:Too bad, Zed played many years in Montreal, and really played with heart. I wished habs coulda fit him in on the fourth line or something ... better than kostopolous anyways ... Take care Zed!

It must have been his design to start winding down his career closer to his home. I'm sure if he had stayed in the NHL, Montreal - or someone - would have loved to sign him. Truthfully, he would have looked okay in a Sens uni as well.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

HowieMorenz wrote:Too bad, Zed played many years in Montreal, and really played with heart. I wished habs coulda fit him in on the fourth line or something ... better than kostopolous anyways ... Take care Zed!

It went downhill for Zednik after that hit from Mclaren in the playoffs. He was a pretty good player for MTL before that. Wasnt too bad in Florida either.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From Lyle "Spectors Hockey' Richardson at FoxSports.com:

Masterton Nominee Zednik Signs with KHL. May 01, 2009 | 9:36AM
Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik has reportedly signed a two-year contract with Locomotiv Yaroslavl of Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League.

Zednik is also one of the nominees this season for the NHL’s Masterton trophy, awarded for perseverance, in his case, for overcoming a horrific injury late last season when he was slashed on the neck by a skate blade.

He played twelve seasons in the NHL with the Washington Capitals, Montreal Canadiens and NY Islanders before playing his final two NHL season with the Panthers.

Zednik’s best years were with the Canadiens, with three 20+ goal seasons and two fifty-point seasons. His best year was 2002-03 with 31 goals and 50 points.

Injuries however hampered Zednik’s performance following the lockout. Over the past four seasons he played in 67, 42, 54 and 70 games respectively.

A few fans have suggested Zednik’s decision to sign with a KHL team should be grounds to remove his nomination for the Masterton but that’s simply ridiculous. The award is for his performance this past NHL season.

He’s also an unrestricted free agent and can sign wherever he wants. If he should win the Masterton it’ll be fully deserved.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum