GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

An Ottawa Boy in the Playoffs: Ben Eager Appreciation Thread

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

As Ottawa-born content in the SCPs diminished with the exit of the Flyers (Briere, Giroux) and Sharks (Boyle), one of our local heroes remains in the hunt for Lord Stanley's prize.

Ben Eager is a warrior. He is not a superstar. He is one of the soldiers who goes into the trenches and does the dirty work.

Like Black Hawks legend Reggie Fleming--who helped the Hawks to their last Stanley Cup in 1961--Benny gets it done so the big names can shine.

A T-E-A-M guy first and foremost.

He's a big fella who skates like a freight train, hits just as hard, will take on anybody in a scrap, and can hurt with a big goal when you least expect it.

He is the definition of the unsung hero.

And he's one of ours.

So let's all give Benny a shout out and round of applause...as he rocks with the Blackhawks.

It's a long road to the Cup, but if Benny and the boys can get it done, Stanley's mug will make it to Ottawa this summer.

FingersCrossed :^^: :___:

Benjamin Eager (born January 22, 1984 in Ottawa, Ontario) is a Canadian professional ice hockey left winger who currently plays for the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL.

He attended Immaculata High School in Ottawa.

Eager was drafted in the 1st round, 22rd overall by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

He was later traded by the Coyotes along with Sean Burke and Branko Radivojević to the Philadelphia Flyers for centre Mike Comrie.

The 2006–07 NHL season would see Eager lead the league in penalty minutes, even though he only played 63 games.

That same season, he also won the Pelle Lindbergh Memorial as the Flyer who has most improved from the previous season, as voted by his teammates.

Eager was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks on December 18, 2007 for Jim Vandermeer.

Awards

• 2004–05: Calder Cup Philadelphia Phantoms
  • 2006–07: Pelle Lindbergh Memorial (Philadelphia Flyers)

An Ottawa Boy in the Playoffs: Ben Eager Appreciation Thread 536px-10

Position Left Wing

Shoots Left

Height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight 225 lbs (102 kg)

NHL teams Chicago Blackhawks (current), Philadelphia Flyers

Nationality Canada

Born January 22, 1984(1984-01-22) (age 25), Ottawa, ON, CAN

NHL Draft 23rd overall, 2002 Phoenix Coyotes

Pro career 2003 – present

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

He played mens league hockey last year with a buddy of mine after the
flyers got booted and he wasn't even the best player on that
team. It was very confusing that he was an nhl calibur player.

He fills a void but roster spots shouldnt be wasted on muckers like this.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Nasty Nas wrote:He played mens league hockey last year with a buddy of mine after the
team. It was very confusing that he was an nhl calibur player.

Sorry to contradict you, my friend...you may have hard feelings about him but you clearly haven't watched him play this year.

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

fair enough. I havent seen much of him this year. I hope his skills have improved

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Nasty Nas wrote:fair enough. I havent seen much of him this year. I hope his skills have improved

Well, he's got a regular spot with the Hawks...so that means a lot.

He did win that Pelle Lindbergh award for 'most improved player' when he was with the Flyers as well.

But there's always room for more improvement, as you know.

:D:

PS good to know you are playing hockey! I haven't gotten into men's league yet but I'm still out there all winter.

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

big up benny!

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nasty Nas wrote:He played mens league hockey last year with a buddy of mine after the
team
. It was very confusing that he was an nhl calibur player.

That could very well be true because it's not all about the skill and abilities of a player that gets them to the NHL. There's got to be a lot of that but it's a lot about being in the right place at the right time, getting noticed and appreciated by the right people as well as attitude and the "intangebles" IMO. I have no doubt that there are several NHL calibre players that never made the NHL because not all things fell into place in order for the dream to be realised.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote: That could very well be true because it's not all about the skill and abilities of a player that gets them to the NHL. There's got to be a lot of that but it's a lot about being in the right place at the right time, getting noticed and appreciated by the right people as well as attitude and the "intangibles" IMO. I have no doubt that there are several NHL calibre players that never made the NHL because not all things fell into place in order for the dream to be realised.

Right on, Cap, right on.

And that's what makes hockey the greatest sport in the world.

PS people forget sometimes how many wonderful players the Ottawa region has given the NHL...time to give them all their props!

There was an exhibit at City Hall a few months supposedly honouring the history of hockey in Ottawa...it barely filled one small room...sad when you think of all the money they spent on that big shiny building...and they can't find it within themselves to show respect for Ottawa's legendary hockey players.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Benny gets his first point in the Stanley Cup Playoffs...

:KKK:

dirty, dirty player. I hope he gets whats coming to him.

Backs it up.

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
team
. It was very confusing that he was an nhl calibur player.

That
could very well be true because it's not all about the skill and
abilities of a player that gets them to the NHL. There's got to be a
lot of that but it's a lot about being in the right place at the right
time, getting noticed and appreciated by the right people as well as
attitude and the "intangebles" IMO. I have no doubt that there are
several NHL calibre players that never made the NHL because not all
things fell into place in order for the dream to be realised.

Oh I agree. It is purely about size for him. At least he
being drafted was 99% about size. I'm sure he's rounding the rest
of his skills out now.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:dirty, dirty player. I hope he gets whats coming to him.

My dear friend RonBurgunGuy...young Mr Eager is fulfilling a role which is a consequence of the presence of dirty, dirty, dirty players like Dirty Darcy Hordichuk (pictured here).

An Ottawa Boy in the Playoffs: Ben Eager Appreciation Thread Eager-10

The need for a player who can be an enforcer remains a reality in the NHL.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Ben Eager silences his critics with the winning goal on Saturday.

An Ottawa Boy in the Playoffs: Ben Eager Appreciation Thread Benny_11

An Ottawa Boy in the Playoffs: Ben Eager Appreciation Thread Benny_10

His summer hockey team for the record, they are called the "Beauties" hahaha.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum