GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Empty Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Something about Jeff Hunt winning the city council vote and they will work together to do something arother.

Apparently the city is going to looking into giving Melnyk some land and some $$ for his soccer thingie, but...I guess he lost this vote.

CFL is back I guess (don't care personally).

2Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Empty Re: Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:56 pm

CFL is a bad idea for Ottawa. If the CFL want another team then it can go to timbuktoo Sasketchewan or Manitoba. Once Toronto lands an NFL team, CFL is History. MLS is the Future but No way should it be in Kanata. The problem with all these stadium proposals is that they are no located along TRANSIT lines so then everyone is forced to drive. It needs to be along a MAJOR TRANSIT LINE...

The city would be in a much better position if it would have just O.K. the Sens proposal for a new stadium at Lebreton Flats...instead we get another museum and posibly condos...yay!

3Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Empty Re: Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Blazer wrote:CFL is a bad idea for Ottawa. If the CFL want another team then it can go to timbuktoo Sasketchewan or Manitoba. Once Toronto lands an NFL team, CFL is History. MLS is the Future but No way should it be in Kanata. The problem with all these stadium proposals is that they are no located along TRANSIT lines so then everyone is forced to drive. It needs to be along a MAJOR TRANSIT LINE...

The city would be in a much better position if it would have just O.K. the Sens proposal for a new stadium at Lebreton Flats...instead we get another museum and posibly condos...yay!

We have no (universally accessible) suburban train, so OC Transpo is it as far as transit is concerned. And OC Transpo runs very well to Kanata. Perhaps the 4 lanes should have been expanded to six, but even the lanes we have now is much more than what you have to get to Landsowne or Lebreton.

4Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Empty Re: Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The way Ottawa was designed the best place (possibly) would have been South, down the 416. Except there was no 416 at the time. Lebreton, as you say, was not made available and even if it was, how the heck do you get there, the Parkway? It's a good place but a horrible location (to get to), just like most of Ottawa.

5Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Empty Re: Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

the benefit of the Melnyk group's bid is that they have the experience in running a pro team (yes, I know that the 67's are almost at that level, but it isn't the same).

He also brings to the table the experience of the involvement with youth - witness the success of the Sensplex, and the Bell Capital Cup. It wouldn't have surprised me to see a Bell Capital Cup style soccer tournament come up if we had gotten the soccer stadium and team. In ten years, the BCC has pumped a ton of money into the city and local businesses (I don't know how much, but I've heard it's almost $100M)

But then again, I'm biased, because I live in Kanata and my kids play soccer when they aren't playing hockey Smile

Oh, and maybe it would force them to expand the 417 more, so it wouldn't take so f***ing long to get home.

6Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Empty Re: Jeff Hunt wins the Landsdowne bid Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:17 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I dug this up because I'm pretty pissed off that this Dung is dead in the water (relatively speaking) when we could have been excited about MLS coming to Ottawa with a new facility under construction by now.

Another potential world-class move flushed for no good reason.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum