GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tavares On His Future

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tavares On His Future Empty Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From the Globe & Mail, John Tavares speaks on his future:

“Wherever I'm selected, I'm going to go and play there. I've said it before, my goal is to play in the National Hockey League. It's not about where I play or who I am. I just want to be part of the franchise.”

And from Newsday, his agent gives further details and perspectives:

Agent: Tavares hopes to be No. 1 Isle

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/blog/2009/04/agent_tavares_hopes_to_be_no_1.html

If Toronto general manager Brian Burke was hoping to sow the seeds of discontent with his bluster about trading up to take London center John Tavares in the NHL draft, it was much ado about nothing. Agent Pat Brisson, who represents Tavares, said today that his high-profile client not only will play for the Islanders if chosen, but he is hoping to go in the No. 1 spot they own.

"I understand what Brian Burke was trying to do," Brisson said. "He's allowed to talk about prospects. It's not like it's tampering. He said he'd love to get Tavares. I view it as flattering for John, but it's out of our control. John's focus now is on trying to win the Memorial Cup. He wants to be drafted as high as possible and play in the NHL next year."

Brisson said he has known Islanders general manager Garth Snow for years and has a good relationship with him. Recalling their most recent conversation, Brisson said,

"I told Garth, 'If you draft John, he'd look forward to playing for your organization.' If he's drafted by the Islanders, he probably has a chance to play right away and contribute, and it's the New York market. We had a nice talk."

The fact that Snow didn't commit to choosing Tavares as soon as the Isles won the draft lottery last Tuesday didn't bother Tavares at all, Brisson said. At the same time, Brisson is aware Tavares has come under more critical scrutiny. Independent scouting service "Redline Report" recently downgraded him to No. 3 in its ranking of draft-eligible players behind Swedish defenseman Victor Hedman and Brampton center Matt Duchene, who also happens to be a Brisson client.

"I try not to get emotional about what I read," Brisson said. "Scouts are wrong at times, too. I've seen lots of top-five picks who never did anything, and second-rounders who became stars. When I read Redline Report, I took it with a grain of salt. It's Kyle's opinion."

Brisson was referring to Kyle Woodlief, the publisher and chief scout for Redline Report. Woodlief said Tavares has a good chance to score 40-50 goals in the NHL, but derided him as a "one-dimensional" player who isn't helping if he's not scoring.

"To say that someone who can score 40-50 goals is a liability is hard," Brisson said.

"There's a handful of players [eight this season] who can score 40 goals in the NHL, and every club would want one and would pay premium dollars."

Because he represents Duchene, Brisson is in a bit of a sensitive situation, but he noted the distinction between the level of expectations his top two junior clients have faced. "Matt Duchene is a very good player who has progressed a lot," Brisson said. "His all-around game is very strong, and he continues to get better.

"Let's not forget John Tavares has been coming through for years, like at the Junior Worlds with the title on the line. Remember that Mike Bossy was not a great defensive player when he was drafted, but he sure helped his franchise. In the end, we're privileged to represent these two great prospects."

Although Tavares has been the frontrunner for the No. 1 pick all along, the talents of Hedman and Duchene are such that the NHL scouting community now can be said to consider it a three-horse race for the top spot on June 26. And Brisson agrees.

"Hedman is very good even though he might not have had the best tournament at the World Juniors," said Brisson, making a sly reference to the fact Tavares was named MVP of that tournament. "It really depends on what a team needs, but I definitely think those three players will be the first three in the draft."

2Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:13 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

big blow to Burkie's ego, he better sign another college free agent soon or he might not be able to recover, first losing on Gilroy, then this, next thing we know, some team comes in and swoops up that Swedish goalie.

3Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

very interesting indeed that someone out there has pointed, whether justly or rightfully deserved or not, the potential that Tavares is a one-dimensional player...

4Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:16 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

No blow to Burke or Toronto at all - they do not have any guarantee of drafting Tavares, and John nor his agent would say that Toronto is his lifelong dream to play for and nobody else will suffice, that's career suicide.

5Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:44 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Not a surprise.

JT isn't a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin but he's marketable. If he ends up an Isle, he'll help that fan-base out immensely.

I'd sooner help out a team with a storied tradition than a Nashville or Atlanta, all other things being equal.

Now if only I could figure out why they didn't take Filatov...

Filatov - Tavares - Okposo? Shrug

6Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Not a surprise.

JT isn't a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin but he's marketable. If he ends up an Isle, he'll help that fan-base out immensely.

I'd sooner help out a team with a storied tradition than a Nashville or Atlanta, all other things being equal.

The Islanders have a storied history...but you may not remember Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Smith, Morrow, Goring et al...4 Stanley Cups in a row.

7Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:58 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Some more history for you...

8Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:59 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:Not a surprise.

The Islanders have a storied history...but you may not remember Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Smith, Morrow, Goring et al...4 Stanley Cups in a row.

they were the dynasty of the 70's, that is storied enough for me.

9Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:The Islanders have a storied history...but you may not remember Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Smith, Morrow, Goring et al...4 Stanley Cups in a row.

I agree with you. That was my point.

I'm glad he could potentially revive a team with a history like the Islanders'. :pirat:

10Tavares On His Future Empty Re: Tavares On His Future Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:23 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:The Islanders have a storied history...but you may not remember Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Smith, Morrow, Goring et al...4 Stanley Cups in a row.

I agree with you. That was my point.

I'm glad he could potentially revive a team with a history like the Islanders'. :pirat:

And I agree we agree :D:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum