GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Playoffs...and we're off!!

+7
beedub
davetherave
Acrobat
LeCaptain
LethalLehner
wprager
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Playoffs...and we're off!! Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Delicious time of the year - even if Ottawa isn't involved.

These are the matchups:

EAST

Montreal @ Boston

NY Rangers @ Washington

Carolina @ New Jersey

Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh

WEST:

Anaheim @ San Jose

Columbus @ Detroit

St.Louis @ Vancouver

Calgary @ Chicago

Yikes, some amazing matchups here. Not a walk in the park by any means - for any of the teams.

2Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:02 pm

504Heater wrote:Delicious time of the year - even if Ottawa isn't involved.

These are the matchups:

EAST

Montreal @ Boston

NY Rangers @ Washington

Carolina @ New Jersey

WEST:

Anaheim @ San Jose

Columbus @ Detroit

St.Louis @ Vancouver

Calgary @ Chicago

Yikes, some amazing matchups here. Not a walk in the park by any means - for any of the teams.

My picks are bolded

3Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Are we going for just series winners or number of games, too? Here are my picks for both:

EAST

Boston in 5
Washington in 6
Carolina in 6
Pittsburgh in 6

WEST:
San Jose in 7
Detroit in 5 (sorry, Antoine)
Vancouver in 7
Chicago in 6

4Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:35 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

My picks bolded:

EAST

Montreal @ Boston

NY Rangers @ Washington

Carolina @ New Jersey

WEST:

Anaheim @ San Jose

Columbus @ Detroit

St.Louis @ Vancouver

Calgary @ Chicago

5Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Montreal @ Boston:

Boston in 5. Even though I still can't trust Tim Thomas completely, the B's hold size, speed and D on their side. Montreal's main concern is to not be swept. I doubt they can do much, but splitting the games in Boston would go a long way.

NY Rangers @ Washington

Washington in 6. I think the Rangers are perfectly suited for a playoff run - but...Lundqvist would have to be Superman if they are to advance over the Caps. Theodore is sub standard, but I still think the Caps will bury the Rangers.

IF the Rangers can grind down the Caps over the duration, then anything could happen.

Carolina @ New Jersey

New Jersey in 6. They're not playing great as a team right now, but to write off Brodeur for 2 weeks of average play is to be really, really naive. Carolina's fast-tempo, offensive style won't work against the Devils I don't think. This is a potential upset, but I doubt it personally.

Pittsburgh in 7. Look out, Philly lost home-ice this afternoon and the Pens are flying. Fleury is good enough to hold the Pens in it at any given time, Biron will have to run blazing hot to not be beaten soundly.

Hard to not look forward to Richards showing Crosby again though.

Anaheim @ San Jose

Anaheim in 7. I like the Ducks a lot right now. I've watched them closely since the deadline and they look like they're possessed. Big, big men at the forward position with Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan and co.

Selanne's a killer as well, but beyond that, the Ducks are gonna have to be content to try to grind SJ into the ice - and they can do it.

San Jose has everything on the line, while IMO, Anaheim can play a little looser. SJ has been known to fold against the tight-checking teams of playoffs past. I think something similar might happen again.

Columbus @ Detroit.

Detroit in 6. This one's not a cakewalk either. Mason is very solid - I'd rather him than Osgood heading into the POs, Nash, Vermette, Umberger, Huselius. All with playoff experience. An unheralded, but effective D as well.

BUT, Detroit has the experience to make the BJs pay for every mistake.

St.Louis @ Vancouver

Vancouver in 6.
Murray will have the Cinderella story Blues prepared, but you can't prepare for the depth, D and goaltending Vancouver has. Still, I think this one can go to 6 or 7 games. Real tough matchup for the Blues, unfortunately for them.

Calgary @ Chicago

Chicago in 7. This is a pick 'em, but I'd take Khabby over Kipper personally. I think the Hawks young guys will lower their heads and absolutely go for it. They'll lose in round 2 though, because Calgary will try to drill them into the ice, but I think they'll win this one. A lot of firepower, a solid D and the goaltending to make it happen (I reserve judgement on Huet though).

6Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:57 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Let's go

Bruins in 4 :^^^^: (yeah Im cruel, a walk in the park as you said heater)
Capitals in 5
Devils in 7
Flyers in 7

Sharks in 6 (No way the Ducks will beat the Sharks)
Red Wings in 6
Canucks in 5 (although I am a Blues fan)
Flames in 6

7Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Boston in 4 or 5. Montreal is almost a replay of last season for Ottawa, and Boston is just too solid right now.

Washington in 6 or 7. This comes down to offense vs. goaltending. Sadly, Lundqvist has no support, while OV does.

Jersey in 4 or 5. It's hard to write off a team backstopped by Marty and put together by Lou, even as poorly as they have played lately. The wildcard here is Ward, so maybe it goes 6.

Penguins in 6. Much as I hope to revel in Crosby's failure (it's sad, I know), I see Malkin & Gonchar stepping it up enough to carry them past a relatively solid Flyer squad.

Sharks in 5. Anaheim is good, but SJ is really good. Is there a consistently exploitable weakness on this team?

Wings in 7 The torch is about to be passed; I agree with Heater above, but I think it will be shockingly close. Mason, Vermette (!), Nash, Huselius, Modin, Umberger, Voracek and maybe Filatov could all turn some heads this playoff season, and even cause an upset, if their defense can play even a bit over their heads.

Vancouver in 5. They have really come together, and if Luongo plays to form, they could be playing for a lot longer than most other teams.

Calgary in 6. Too many questions still in Chicago (is Khabibulin capable of carrying a team to a cup again? How much will the lack of experience hurt them?), although if the kids can avoid the gong-show media, and focus on the task at hand, the balance may tip the other way. Calgary, on the other hand, has all the tools, and the experience. This may come down to how much and how quickly Iggy can take control of the series.

8Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Great take on it Acrobat!

9Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:21 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:Let's go

Bruins in 4 :^^^^: (yeah Im cruel, a walk in the park as you said heater)
Capitals in 5
Devils in 7
Flyers in 7

Sharks in 6 (No way the Ducks will beat the Sharks)
Red Wings in 6
Canucks in 5 (although I am a Blues fan)
Flames in 6

:^^^^: By all means, I hope the Habs get Cleaning big time.

10Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:32 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Wow, so many closely matched teams, and so many different strengths with so many different weaknesses.

Records and stats being what they are, the simple truth is...a club only has to play slightly better than .500 hockey to win its series.

Playoff hockey is, more often than not, determined by mistakes...and the so-called 'lucky bounces' that fans argue about for years afterward.

The psychological factor, which teams can shrug off in the regular season as they rarely meet their foe in successive games, becomes a central element.

Home ice. The crowd is often the 'seventh player'.

Injuries. Who can battle through the accumulation of bumps, bruises and other more serious ailments?

Unsung heroes...who emerges?

Sudden Death Overtime. There's only one, sudden, winner. If you saw last year's multi-period marathons--some lasting an entire extra game--you know how unpredictable those are.

And then there's the dreaded 'momentum'...

I've watched every one of these teams play, and play each other. The level of talent they all have, is nothing short of amazing, and they all deserve to be where they are. Even more so than last year, I expect every single game will be a titanic struggle, with lots of close contests, OT...and even some blowouts.

Tough, tough choices...but here's my stab at it... Smile

EAST

Boston in 7. The Bruins are the Beasts of the East. Can they control their emotions against the perpetual nemesis in BleuBlancRouge? There's always a score to settle between these two. The result should be obvious on paper, but there's blood on the ice, and in the ice, and that changes the dynamic. Ex-Hab Claude Julien is one of the best coaches there is, but his former boss Bob Gainey keeps a few trick cards--like AK27--up his sleeve: one of them is called 'the trap'. The goaltending will most likely be the difference. All out war, with last man standing.

Rangers in 7. The Capitals are locked and loaded with Big O N Da Krew front, but beyond Mike Green, who are the rocks on D? And which Jose Theodore shows up? The Avery Factor is Johnny Torts' trump card. JT also has a Cup ring...and the anti-Ovie in Marc Staal. If Henny Lundqvist plays like The King and steals a match or two--which he can do--the Rangers will frustrate the Caps. Washington has outscored its foes on its way to an excellent record this season, but in the playoffs, you only need to win each game by one. UPSET.

Carolina in 6. The dirty secret: is Marty Brodeur fully recovered from his surgery? The Devils have one of the strongest team defenses in the East, but somehow their game has come undone in the stretch. The Hurricanes still remember how no one gave them any respect on their way to the Stanley Cup--by the way, more recently than Jersey. The Devs have Zach Parise, but the Canes have Eric and Erik. New Jersey has its pedigree, but Rod the Bod still has 'it'. Cup winner Cam Ward looks better than ever. UPSET.

Penguins in 7. Philly coach John Stevens said it: home ice will determine this series. The Flyers had a chance to grab the edge Sunday, and--with all their talent, and even Jeff Carter's 46th--blew it. And Marty Biron? Dunno. Defense? Not sure. The Pens have gone all the way to the last dance before, and the Pingu Posse is on The March again. Sid is determined to break the Curse of the Finalists. Geno is better than he was last year. Marky Flower has the power. Kunitz and Guerin can get it done. The Battle of Pennsylvania will be worthy of its name.

WEST

Sharks in 7. Call this 'The Freeway Series'. It's a hop from San Jose to Anaheim and back, so travel isn't a factor, and both of these teams match up mano a mano in so many ways. They are as mean as they are talented. The Sharks are as good as their record. The Ducks have re-emerged as the fast, physical force they were when they won the silverware. Randy Carlyle Vs Todd McLellan is a terrific coaching duel. This will be a brutal and beautiful contest. San Jose's depth--and Evgeni Nabokov--may just be enough to make the difference.

Blue Jackets in 7. Babs Versus Hitch. Ozzy Vs Stevie Wonderkid. Rick Nash Vs Big Red. The No Name D Vs The Norris Winner & Company. On paper, and on the ice, the Red Wings have every reason to repeat as World Champions. But somehow this year, there's been something missing; that said, no team can raise their game at the right time like the Wings. But the Blue Jackets, like the 2006 Oilers, can neutralize Detroit's offense. They are smart, physical, and don't care how many rings the Wings have. And their plumbers are good as Detroit's. UPSET.

St Louis in 6. Andy Murray and his boys have come back from the dead. Dead last to sixth place since mid-February, and no team except the Wings equals their record during that time. The Blues can match everything Vancouver has. The 'other' Mason has been a monster, and TJ Oshie is the Lucic of the West, with more skill. The Canucks fate rests on the play of Captain Bobby Lu. If the Blues solve him--and they've already shown they can--the Van Clan takes the fall. UPSET.

Chicago in 6. Here Come The Hawks. 'They' say they're too young. 'They' ask questions about their Stanley Cup winning goaltender. 'They' bla,bla, bla. The Blackhawks have no illusions--especially their vets and Cup winners. A team that puts TEAM first, they're putting it together at the right time: attack and defense are in sync. And they fight. The proud Flames have Jarome Iginla, Mikka Kiprusoff, and an impressive, experienced cast: the Hawks have beaten them, but take nothing for granted. Mike Keenan knows the Hawks. He coached them once.

GREAT hockey ahead...

:D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

11Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:26 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Now see that's the beauty of playoff hockey. While reading your post Dave, I found myself only agreeing twice.

IMO, the regular season record against each other...natch, phhft out the window. Who cares? they don't, for sure.

It's what team has the wherewithall to get through a sustained series. Each learns a little more with each game passing.

Reality of it is, it's ALL speculation, because until the games are played, one cannot tell who's going to do what.

Goats turn into horses and prevail, while some teams have their star fade to black.

Love it, love it. Let the games begin!!

12Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My summary of picks for the first round,

Eastern Conf:
- Bruins over the Habs
- Rangers over the Caps
- Devils over the Hurricanes
- Penguins over the Flyers

Western Conf:
- Sharks over the Ducks
- Wings over the Jackets
- Canucks over the Blues
- Flames over the Blackhawks

I'm not into picking games, but did on the polls just for the sake of it.

13Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:22 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:Now see that's the beauty of playoff hockey. While reading your post Dave, I found myself only agreeing twice.

IMO, the regular season record against each other...natch, phhft out the window. Who cares? they don't, for sure.

It's what team has the wherewithall to get through a sustained series. Each learns a little more with each game passing.

Reality of it is, it's ALL speculation, because until the games are played, one cannot tell who's going to do what.

Goats turn into horses and prevail, while some teams have their star fade to black.

Love it, love it. Let the games begin!!

Bee, you couldn't have said it better. All great fun for us, and great hockey ahead.

Cheers!

:GHF:

14Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:25 am

EAST

Montreal @ Boston
Montreal in 6

NY Rangers @ Washington
Washington in 5

Carolina @ New Jersey
New Jersey in 5

Pittsburgh in 7

WEST:

Anaheim @ San Jose
San Jose in 5

Columbus @ Detroit
Columbus in 6

St.Louis @ Vancouver
Vancouver in 7

Calgary @ Chicago
Chicago in 6

15Playoffs...and we're off!! Empty Re: Playoffs...and we're off!! Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

It's interesting to see how many are picking Columbus and Chicago, and even St. Louis. It's a real sign of the changing of the guard in the West.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum