GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ron Wilson flips out on Berger

+7
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
SensFan71
beerandsens
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Berger kind of went against the grain of Toronto/"National" media in calling out Wilson for not starting Gerber too.

Something none of Dreger, Reda, McGuire had the guts to do.

I respect Berger for this. Wilson continues to suck.

Berger is one of the few writers over at HB that has a little bit of integrity, Wilson, well, he is Toronto, of course he thinks he is bigger than life itself, same with Burkie, two big egos in that organization running things.

Well, let's be honest, you can't expect to hold a job running the Maple Leafs unless you have a mega-ego to begin with. If Burke and Wilson appear to be egocentric, it's essential because they have to stand up to the suits at MLSE whose egos are even bigger.

Berger is just OK as a writer...he doesn't come close to Wayne Scanlan, E.J. Hradek, Pierre Lebrun, Scott Burnside, Michael Farber, Red Fisher, Eric Duhatschek...

Guys like Berger are in love with their own opinions.

It's one thing for us as fans to give our two cents, but when you're getting paid for it, 'calling out' somebody (as opposed to doing an in-depth investigation of a situation worth investigating) is just being a showoff. A quality media professional doesn't resort to those kinds of tactics.

I read Berger's stuff on HB, and it's nothing you or I--or any one of us on this forum--couldn't do just as well.

17Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Berger kind of went against the grain of Toronto/"National" media in calling out Wilson for not starting Gerber too.

Berger is one of the few writers over at HB that has a little bit of integrity, Wilson, well, he is Toronto, of course he thinks he is bigger than life itself, same with Burkie, two big egos in that organization running things.

Well, let's be honest, you can't expect to hold a job running the Maple Leafs unless you have a mega-ego to begin with. If Burke and Wilson appear to be egocentric, it's essential because they have to stand up to the suits at MLSE whose egos are even bigger.

Berger is just OK as a writer...he doesn't come close to Wayne Scanlan, E.J. Hradek, Pierre Lebrun, Scott Burnside, Michael Farber, Red Fisher, Eric Duhatschek...

It's one thing for us as fans to give our two cents, but when you're getting paid for it, 'calling out' somebody (as opposed to doing an in-depth investigation of a situation worth investigating) is just being a showoff. A quality media professional doesn't resort to those kinds of tactics.

I read Berger's stuff on HB, and it's nothing you or I--or any one of us on this forum--couldn't do just as well.

I'll take an honest, OK writer over a Ron-aparte any day.

18Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SSF--no contest LOL.

As for Berger being an 'honest' writer, the jury's out on that one.

19Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:40 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:SSF--no contest LOL.

I guess Berger's batting .500 then.

20Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:45 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:SSF--no contest LOL.

I guess Berger's batting .500 then.

ROFL LMAO
:afro:

21Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:51 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

well I doubt I could, unless they had spell check and grammar check, mistakes like that also take away from credibility. but a blog site by no means is a newspaper, and even some newspapers have iffy writers, won't mention any names. now if Bob McCowen starts blogging on HB, maybe I will listen a bit more intently.

22Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Berger made libelous comments about Avery, who like him or not, nobody would confirm if these comments were true. This was in response to the Blake-Avery feud.

Wilson's in the right to get upset. He's a coach, his job is to win. Coaches that do not win get fired. If he tries to lose, he loses his integrity, the respect of the team, fans, and also risks fines and losing his job. It was a stupid comment for a reporter to make.

As Sens fans, is anyone upset Clouston's got the team winning and playing hard? It's like saying he should quit trying so hard so we can lose.

23Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:59 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Berger made libelous comments about Avery, who like him or not, nobody would confirm if these comments were true. This was in response to the Blake-Avery feud.

Wilson's in the right to get upset. He's a coach, his job is to win. Coaches that do not win get fired. If he tries to lose, he loses his integrity, the respect of the team, fans, and also risks fines and losing his job. It was a stupid comment for a reporter to make.

As Sens fans, is anyone upset Clouston's got the team winning and playing hard? It's like saying he should quit trying so hard so we can lose.

Clouston's is auditioning for a job next year, so am all for him winning, am hoping Murray doesn't snub him by hiring someone else that has to prove themself.

24Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:00 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Somewhat OT, but the justification that Wilson made the call because as he said the "stick was dangerous" is a poor attempt to hide intent. If it was dangerous, then he'd be in the wrong for not making the call from the get-go.

25Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:19 pm

I hate em both. Neither one needs any more press to feed their egos. Berger is average at best. Nothing special I would say.

26Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:25 pm

SensFan71 wrote:
Dash wrote:Berger made libelous comments about Avery, who like him or not, nobody would confirm if these comments were true. This was in response to the Blake-Avery feud.

Clouston's is auditioning for a job next year, so am all for him winning, am hoping Murray doesn't snub him by hiring someone else that has to prove themself.

I would say that if Clouston isn't here next year it's because Melnyk wants a more experienced guy like Quinn, Burns (in my dreams), or Laviolette. I doubt he takes a chance on an unproven guy when the one he has now has shown some potential so far.

27Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:11 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

I would say that if Clouston isn't here next year it's because Melnyk wants a more experienced guy like Quinn, Burns (in my dreams), or Laviolette. I doubt he takes a chance on an unproven guy when the one he has now has shown some potential so far.

very true, it is Melnyk's money, he calls the shots, now that being said, is Quinn the front runner? Burns won't be coaching any time soon, I don't like Hartley, think he is a bum. I have no problem with Laviolette. would have rather had Torts or Quennville, but well.

28Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

FYI, I heard last night that a few people dislike Clouston because he is a hard Donkey. That is probably a good thing.

29Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:14 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:FYI, I heard last night that a few people dislike Clouston because he is a hard Donkey. That is probably a good thing.

Good that's what we need from Clouston. Being a hard Donkey is only gonna help this team. They need a kick in the Donkey.

30Ron Wilson flips out on Berger - Page 2 Empty Re: Ron Wilson flips out on Berger Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:46 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Getting back to Wilson for a minute. Do you notice in this pissy little war of words between Berger and Wilson, nobody is discussing the Leafs. Nobody is acusing the Leafs of tanking another one ( against the bottom feeder Ottawa Senators, come on Ron!).

It's a case, IMO, of Ron Wilson taking a page out of Pat Quinn's playbook. Let's create a scene, take the heat of my team for just one night. Unfortunately then one hockey writer took it personally.

Wilson has to do something to deflect criticism off his team, off of Burke, because they are in Toronto of all places.

AS for Wilson regretting leaving SJ, how much press did he get there. I'll wager not too much. Wilson DOES have a king-sized ego, there is no debate and Toronto is the perfect place to have his ego stroked (actually, probably the 3rd best, behind Montreal and Ottawa).

If he was coaching in Ottawa or Montreal he'd have to either coach on the bench in his gitch, or wear a t shirt that says " hockey writers suck cock" to deflect attention away from the team's woes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum