GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vermette for Leclaire?

+18
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Mojo
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
beedub
Acrobat
Flo The Action
dennycrane
Phoenix30
Urkie
LeCaptain
PTFlea
davetherave
asq2
Riprock
rooneypoo
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

16Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:30 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
Dash wrote:That's an odd way of looking at it... why not just say you trade $3.8 for $2.7?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The remainder of Leclaire's contract (per NHLnumbers.com) is 8.2MM. Vermette's is 3MM. That's the committment that would go on the books, apart from the remaining 08/09 salary.

Cap hit is the number you look at. He's making $3.8/year, not 8.2. They do not shed 8.2, they shed 3.8 because they will not have gained an extra 4.4 in cap space. With this trade they will have saved approx. 1.1 mil.

17Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Dash wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Dash wrote:That's an odd way of looking at it... why not just say you trade $3.8 for $2.7?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The remainder of Leclaire's contract (per NHLnumbers.com) is 8.2MM. Vermette's is 3MM. That's the committment that would go on the books, apart from the remaining 08/09 salary.

Cap hit is the number you look at. He's making $3.8/year, not 8.2. They do not shed 8.2, they shed 3.8 because they will not have gained an extra 4.4 in cap space. With this trade they will have saved approx. 1.1 mil.

Tell that to Melnyk buddy. Its also 2 years committed to another marginal goalie... I thought we just got rid of Gerber. At least he had a cup ring coming here.

18Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:37 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:
davetherave wrote:

We're not talking about the same thing.

Cap hit is cap hit, and budget is budget.

If he makes this trade, Howson can delete an 8.2MM contract as he takes on a 3MM contract.

So he has 5.2MM to allocate to another area, at his discretion, assuming he has that in his budget...or he has reduced his operating expenditures by 5.2 million dollars.

This speaks directly to the much-discussed anticipated drop in revenues over the next two years.

19Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No way. Leclaire is a project goalie with one good year and a big salary.

Big no.

20Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:47 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Why are we discussing this, we all know Bryan MUrray will not do that deal.

21Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Leclaire is better then you guys are giving him credit for. If he didn't get injured during the pre-season then he would currently be the #1 and not Steve Mason. Leclaire tried to play through injury and played horribly. When healthy he is a top goalie in the NHL.

If we could somehow get him with Kelly then that would make my day.

Last edited by Urkie on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

22Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Leclaire never stays healthy, ever.

23Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:Leclaire never stays healthy, ever.

He did last year and played very well. In fact, he earned a spot on the Canadian World Championship team. He's a good goalie, better then anything we currently have.

24Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:34 pm

I dont think Leclaire is better than what we have right now to be honest with you. I'll Take Auld at 1 mil for next year over a huge unknwon in Leclaire for 3.8 over the next two years. I also think Auld is a better goaltender than LEclaire on top of that.

Why not just resign Gerber, he was all the rage when we signed him too. People are always looking for something new in Ottawa, not something calculated or smart.

Leclaire has had 1 good 1/2 season, thats it.

25Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:I dont think Leclaire is better than what we have right now to be honest with you. I'll Take Auld at 1 mil for next year over a huge unknwon in Leclaire for 3.8 over the next two years. I also think Auld is a better goaltender than LEclaire on top of that.

Why not just resign Gerber, he was all the rage when we signed him too. People are always looking for something new in Ottawa, not something calculated or smart.

Leclaire is nothing like Gerber or Auld. He got 9 shutouts last season in front of a very poor team. That doesn't just happen by accident.

If we go with what we've got right now then there's no chance we make the playoffs next year....no chance.

It doesn't have to be Leclaire that we go after but we need a better goalie. Hoping a rookie can carry us into the playoffs is not a smart thing to do.

26Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Can't say that based on a couple of years. There are players who were injury proned in their 1st few years and went on to be very successful.

27Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Urkie wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I dont think Leclaire is better than what we have right now to be honest with you. I'll Take Auld at 1 mil for next year over a huge unknwon in Leclaire for 3.8 over the next two years. I also think Auld is a better goaltender than LEclaire on top of that.

Leclaire is nothing like Gerber or Auld. He got 9 shutouts last season in front of a very poor team. That doesn't just happen by accident.

If we go with what we've got right now then there's no chance we make the playoffs next year....no chance.

It doesn't have to be Leclaire that we go after but we need a better goalie. Hoping a rookie can carry us into the playoffs is not a smart thing to do.

No goalie can carry that defense into the playoffs, none. The team has a lot of issues, right now, goaltending is one of the last worries. The goaltending this year for the most part has been good, both Auld and Elliotts numbers are decent, no where near the bottom of the league and have both been ok.

There are no proven goalies that are on the market, none. Instead of the quick fix (which never works in Ottawa) they will develope Elliott and split time with Auld next year. There is absolutly nothing wrong with that. Put a better defense in front of those two and actually score some goals, the Sens will be alright next year.

28Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:

Can't say that based on a couple of years. There are players who were injury proned in their 1st few years and went on to be very successful.

There are also lots who never stay healthy. Why would you give up Vermette who's contract is less, is one of the Sens most complete players, for a guy who has hasnt done a thing in the NHL.

It doesnt make sense, the cap will be going down next year in a big way, and we have two goalies who have been ok on a bad team...

If people think that everything is going to be solved in one year, wow, unreal expectations. Defense is where you start when the season is done.

29Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

No Hitchc0ck team is poor defensively.

30Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

asq2 wrote:No Hitchc0ck team is poor defensively.

Leclaire was good before Hitchc0ck ever became coach of the Jackets. Injuries have prevented him from becoming an amazing goalie.

As I said before. If we could somehow get him with Kelly then that is a big time steal.

31Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:05 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure why Bryan Murray would trade for Pascal Leclaire until, or unless, he knows Leclaire has fully recovered from his ankle injury.

The last time Leclaire played was in mid-December. He has been more or less out with the ankle injury since late October, playing just five games in those two months. Obviously his performance has suffered as a result.

http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/player-gbg.cgi?2572

The rumoured deal--as it has been explained so far--would appear to favour Howson from a financial perspective, as he could jettison the balance of Leclaire's 8.2MM contract while acquiring a solid center/faceoff/PK man in Vermette; and being able to cut $5MM from his budget in the process.

The source, Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, is generally reliable.

However we can only guess how far the discussions have or haven't progressed.

Last edited by davetherave on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

32Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

There are also lots who never stay healthy. Why would you give up Vermette who's contract is less, is one of the Sens most complete players, for a guy who has hasnt done a thing in the NHL.

It doesnt make sense, the cap will be going down next year in a big way, and we have two goalies who have been ok on a bad team...

If people think that everything is going to be solved in one year, wow, unreal expectations. Defense is where you start when the season is done.

I'm not saying give up Vermette. I have been a big fan and supporter of his for a very long time. If we keep him beyond this season we are going to reap his rewards with him going into another contract year.

Now that being said Leclaire could be a good addition to this team for the right price. Instead of Vermette I'd be open to moving Kelly who has 3 more years and Auld 1 more after this season for LeClaire's 2 more years and a pick in order to spread the money around. In the process it also opens up a forward spot for a player in the minors.

33Vermette for Leclaire? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vermette for Leclaire? Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:

I agree with you on the Leclaire issue, too much $$ too much risk.

However, this is a common misconception that I just found out was not true. The projected salary cap for next year is between 55 and 57 million. It's the year after that it will fall.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum