GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hubby and Wife charged in Drunk Driving incidents

+5
jamvan
TheAvatar
PTFlea
mattshock
SensGirl11
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This has to be one of the funniest things I've read. Unbelievable!! What are the chances??

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/10/28/7229736.html

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

That's hilarious! And all my stereotypes of people from Carleton Place are reaffirmed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cute!

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Can you spell "Worst evening of your life?". I'm not sure if that's worse than the woman whom had her 8 year old daughter drive the car because she thought she had one too many (I think that happened two weeks ago). She got stopped and got a million charges or so (slight exaggeration) and it turns out she wasn't over the limit.

Talk about being "THAT" close to doing the right thing ... Smile

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Seriously!!? I've heard of 15 year olds driving drunk parents around, but never 8...

Mom of the year!!

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Yeah, that one was really bad too. I feel bad for the kid, she must be horrified. Dumb move Mom, for sure.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I actually worked with this guy before at Nortel. LOL!

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Small world!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

She "borrowed" someone's car? What kind of loser friends do they have that would not only let the husband drive home drunk, but then let the wife go after him, also drunk. You don't make the best choices when you've had too much, but whoever was hosting the party should consider themselves lucky this is not the U.S.A. where they would get sued.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Good point wprager... I'm a little surprised in Canada the owner of the car who lent it isn't on the hook for any legal repercussions.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

They might be, we're sure to hear the whole story soon enough. I can't imagine that the person that held the party and the person that lent her his or her car are going to get away with this. They're all lucky that nobody got hurt or killed in an accident with these tools.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I do believe that homeowners or those who dispense alcoholic beverages either from their home or establishment CAN and WILL be held criminaly liable if they allow someone they believe or can reasonably infer is too impaired to be operating a motor vehicle.

The law can be applied in many interesting ways. I remember dealing with a case in Law class back in High School, a case that occured in Oshawa I believe back in 1994. Well, there were two: one was a 45 yr old man who was charged for impaired driving whilst mowing his lawn with his ride-on mower; the 2nd is VERY peculiar. A man stumbles out of bar and enters his car, in the back seat, and inserts his keys into the ingition (he claimed so he couldn't lose them) and locks the doors and takes a nap. He was summarily charged for impaired driving as the action of placing his keys in the ignition, as far the judge and Crown were concerned, clearly demonstrated intent to operate the vehicle, even though he never turned the engine over.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I've heard it's illegal to even be IN your car if you're impaired and in possession of your keys, let alone with them in the ignition.

This makes little sense, as on many an occasion I've been under the influence with no intentions of driving, but in Canadian weather, you turn on the car for the heat. Read: in the parking lot after Sens games waiting to sober up.

As far as the lawn-mower goes, I heard the same thing. Anything that is classified as a motor-vehicle is illegal.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattbond wrote:I've heard it's illegal to even be IN your car if you're impaired and in possession of your keys, let alone with them in the ignition.

This makes little sense, as on many an occasion I've been under the influence with no intentions of driving, but in Canadian weather, you turn on the car for the heat. Read: in the parking lot after Sens games waiting to sober up.

As far as the lawn-mower goes, I heard the same thing. Anything that is classified as a motor-vehicle is illegal.

Dosen't it have to be over 10 HP or something though? or wait am I getting boats and cars mixed up? I am fairly certain boats under 10HP can be operated without a licence, therefore it would not fall under the same drivng or boating laws? I guess on the ground they don't have such rule?

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

That sounds quite possible.

Although seeing some dork on trial for drunken segwey operation would be interesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum