GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+7
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Ev
Lagoon
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 57 of 67]

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Lagoon wrote:LA wins. You can cancel the season now. 2nd and 3rd last. Start the lottery.

I can't help but worry that if the season is cancelled, all teams will have the same odds in the lottery. It would screw Ottawa over completely.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would be furious if that happened.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hobiesens wrote:
Lagoon wrote:LA wins. You can cancel the season now. 2nd and 3rd last. Start the lottery.

I can't help but worry that if the season is cancelled, all teams will have the same odds in the lottery. It would screw Ottawa over completely.

I would have to imagine they'd keep the seeding for the draft lottery.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

What would be cool is if they did a play-in for the uncertain wildcard positions, ie: if you're within 4 points of a playoff spot you get a play and you're in situation. The East could look something like:

Leafs vs Florida (for 3rd in Atlantic)
Columbus vs Isles (2nd WC)
Rangers vs Canes (1st WC)

The West is a bit trickier but Nashville, Calgary, Vancouver, Minnesota, Winnipeg would all be included.

I'd then salvage the 1st rd by making it a best of 5 series in order to get the schedule back on track.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think the NHL could do something really cool to salvage the season. Let's hope they have the foresight and wherewithal to turn this from a tragedy into an opportunity.

Who doesn't like play-in games, do or dies, etc.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i can't imagine they'll keep playing the rest of the season now. seems like every major sport is taking the same steps.

it's not just sports. i'm starting to work from home tomorrow. everyone at work will be also by mid week next week. i imagine they'll close the borders pretty soon too. it's going to hurt the economy in a big way.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hobiesens wrote:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f12/12/88/10/61/screen16.jpg
General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 57 Screen16
General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 57 Screen16

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The first case in Ottawa is some guy who works at Ciena. I worked there 7 years and still meet regularly for coffee with my former coworkers. Had coffee with them last night. They were told yesterday that the offices are closing for a week. It'll probably be longer.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You met with people that work with a guy that is a confirmed case?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

the thought just occurred to me that when we do end up resuming the season(or just starting the playoffs) this will likely be the healthiest playoffs we've had in recent NHL. so many players are going to have enough time to heal their wounds. should make it extra interesting.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:You met with people that work with a guy that is a confirmed case?

He worked in building C, they work in A. Plus I'm not even sure if he made it into the office after coming back from Austria.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:You met with people that work with a guy that is a confirmed case?

He worked in building C, they work in A. Plus I'm not even sure if he made it into the office after coming back from Austria.

He did go back to the office after Austria, which is why they're having everyone work from home for a while.

Anywaaaaaaaaaaaaay.......how about those sports, eh fellas?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The situation at Ciena is weird. The people I met with have all been given their walking papers, with different the dates (but mostly end of June). This is right after Ciena had their best Q in something like 20 years (the cynics say they can finally afford the severance for all the ex-Nortel lifers who never signed the Ciena employment agreement). Personally, I think it's because they are betting on people finding other work before they get their packages. More the interesting twist here is that Ciena recently went to an unlimited vacation time policy. Of course the way that works is whoever takes too much will likely be at the bottom of the 1-to-N ranking for the next round of layoffs. But if you already know your termination date, what's stopping you from taking on some contract work and then taking "vacation" until the package kicks in.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:The situation at Ciena is weird. The people I met with have all been given their walking papers, with different the dates (but mostly end of June). This is right after Ciena had their best Q in something like 20 years (the cynics say they can finally afford the severance for all the ex-Nortel lifers who never signed the Ciena employment agreement).  Personally, I think it's because they are betting on people finding other work before they get their packages.  More the interesting twist here is that Ciena recently went to an unlimited vacation time policy. Of course the way that works is whoever takes too much will likely be at the bottom of the 1-to-N ranking for the next round of layoffs. But if you already know your termination date, what's stopping you from taking on some contract work and then taking "vacation" until the package kicks in.

With the economy tanking they probably lost a bunch of lucrative contracts and had to shut down?

- Unknown Author

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

For all those affected

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ottawa-orders-federal-bureaucrats-to-work-from-home

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:the thought just occurred to me that when we do end up resuming the season(or just starting the playoffs) this will likely be the healthiest playoffs we've had in recent NHL. so many players are going to have enough time to heal their wounds. should make it extra interesting.

Will they resume it?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:the thought just occurred to me that when we do end up resuming the season(or just starting the playoffs) this will likely be the healthiest playoffs we've had in recent NHL. so many players are going to have enough time to heal their wounds. should make it extra interesting.

Will they resume it?

You know our draft selections are going to be screwed, right?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They said they had full intention of finishing the season (didn't specifically say "regular season") and awarding the Cup.

There are so kinds of ideas going around from taking everyone's record at the 68 game mark, to going but winning percentage, to reducing the length of the preliminary rounds (I assume with the intent of finishing the regular season), top three in each Division getting a bye and the next four fighting it out for the last two spots in each Conference. Even heard someone suggesting a March Madness type of bracket.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 57 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum