GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto expansion team?

+4
Mosky
mattshock
PKC
Riprock
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Toronto expansion team? Empty Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:50 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Looks like it might not be far off...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2008/10/21/nhl_floats_notion_of/

I know some people are against expansion and think that, and rightfully so, failing teams should be moved as a first step.

However, I think expansion could be a good thing. First, more Canadian teams is always a good thing.

Second, with the cap as it is and a lot of teams in trouble with certain contracts, an expansion draft would help alleviate that problem by allowing new teams to take their burden without having to waive, trade or buyout.

Lastly, there's a lot of NHL ready players not yet in the NHL or find themselves out of work because of the cap situation and/or the large growing amount of players in the NHL. Competition is high so many players seek Europe as an option.

2Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:53 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Looks like it might not be far off...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2008/10/21/nhl_floats_notion_of/

I know some people are against expansion and think that, and rightfully so, failing teams should be moved as a first step.

However, I think expansion could be a good thing. First, more Canadian teams is always a good thing.

Second, with the cap as it is and a lot of teams in trouble with certain contracts, an expansion draft would help alleviate that problem by allowing new teams to take their burden without having to waive, trade or buyout.

Lastly, there's a lot of NHL ready players not yet in the NHL or find themselves out of work because of the cap situation and/or the large growing amount of players in the NHL. Competition is high so many players seek Europe as an option.

Most of the big leagues have two teams in their major markets. Makes sense to put one in Toronto, why not I say?

3Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:11 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Goodp oint.

New York: Rangers, Islanders, Sabres, and even closer than Buffalo, the Devils.

4Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:58 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Just move Nashville already.

5Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:12 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Or Florida, who is giving away tickets.

6Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:16 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

And goalies, if I recall recent history correctly.

7Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:56 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

mattbond wrote:And goalies, if I recall recent history correctly.

ZING!

8Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:51 pm

mattbond wrote:And goalies, if I recall recent history correctly.

Too bad we couldn't convince them to part with Vokoun Sad

9Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

They seem to like giving players away to the West only.

10Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Its pretty funny to read the comments after that article lol, all the people in toronto are saying that its the worst idea ever, and im pretty sure i agree. like expansion just isnt what this league needs, relocation. but thats already been played up in here, just giving my opinion lol. and i dont think it should be toronto. maybe winnipeg or QC

11Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:06 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I completely agree that what the league needs is relocation back to Canada.

While I don't fully understand the business aspects of why QC and Winnipeg failed the first time around, I'd be ecstatic to have them there or anywhere else above the border.

12Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:11 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'm all for more Canadian teams, and while I do not doubt the GTA's ability to support another franchise while still supporting the Maple Leafs, I too think Winnipeg, even Quebec City are a higher priority. While they might not have the population and financial support that the GTA has, they still love their hockey, and no doubt would be a higher success than some of the current franchises that are failing fast (Florida, Nashville).

I do think expansion might be a possibility, but not until those teams that are struggling are relocated first.

Move Florida to Quebec City. Move Phoenix to Winnipeg. Move Nashville to the EAST to a GTA location (HAM, KIT,TOR), and expand one franchise to Las Vegas.

13Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:07 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

mattbond wrote:I completely agree that what the league needs is relocation back to Canada.

While I don't fully understand the business aspects of why QC and Winnipeg failed the first time around, I'd be ecstatic to have them there or anywhere else above the border.

I think that Quebec city lost its team because the owner (Marcel Aubut) was over-the-top greedy.

14Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 pm

TheAvatar wrote:
mattbond wrote:I completely agree that what the league needs is relocation back to Canada.

I think that Quebec city lost its team because the owner (Marcel Aubut) was over-the-top greedy.
yet the leafs are still there :D

15Toronto expansion team? Empty Re: Toronto expansion team? Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Toronto could easily afford a second team. It would be great for the league to boost revenues in a declining market (either expansion or moving Florida or some other low-attendance team). However the Leafs will veto any such move because they've got a league-issued permit to print money with exclusive franchise rights in Southern Ontario.

Of course it would only take Ballsillie and a bunch of lawyers to petition that this NHL ruling is unconstitutional or some-such. There's been precedent set already in other sports, although MLSE won't go down easily.

But until that rule is struck down don't expect this second Toronto team rumour to go anywhere further.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum