GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

KHL Expansion?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1KHL Expansion? Empty KHL Expansion? Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This little item I saw on KHL.ru caught my eye:

ХК «Лев» принят в КХЛ

Translated: HC "Lev" accepted into the KHL

"Lev" -- or "Lion" is a name of a Slovakian hockey club.

Континентальная хоккейная лига объявляет о решении включить ХК «Лев» (Попрад, Словакия) в состав участников Чемпионата КХЛ, начиная с сезона 2010/2011. 14 и 15 июля в Попраде работала комиссия КХЛ, которая изучила инфраструктуру клуба, после чего Лигой было принято решение о включении ХК «Лев» в Чемпионат КХЛ. При этом в ходе работы комиссии был выявлен ряд недостатков, которые должны быть устранены к началу сезона 2010/2011 годов. Это решение подлежит одобрению Советом директоров КХЛ.

Roughly translated:

The KHL announces its decision to include HC Lev (Poprad, Slovakia) in the list of participants of the KHL Championship, starting with the 2010/2011 season. etc

What's not clear to me is what they mean by "Чемпионата КХЛ" -- are they talking about expanding the playoffs format to include teams outside the league, or is "Чемпионата КХЛ" (KHL Championship) the term they use to describe the whole format (regular season, playoffs).

I'd read in the past how the KHL was planning a Euro expansion. Slovakia certainly fits that description (although I'm sure they were also thinking of bigger fish like Sweden, Finalnd, Germany, etc.)

Not a huge development, but still.

I did some googling and found this:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=746863

The thread starts with a discussion about a Czech club joining, then Poprad Lions are mentioned later on. However the final decision was not happening until mid-July. And that's where we're at now -- the decision to accept the Lions appears to have been made. The KHL is expanding.

2KHL Expansion? Empty Re: KHL Expansion? Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:25 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Hmmm. This is interesting. Have they contracted? I thought I remember reading that some of their franchise were having financial difficulties.

3KHL Expansion? Empty Re: KHL Expansion? Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:Hmmm. This is interesting. Have they contracted? I thought I remember reading that some of their franchise were having financial difficulties.

Their attendance was quite low early on -- especially in some markets. However many of the owners are oil *billionnaires* so they have very, very deep pockets.

Pretty soon we may see an NHL vs. KHL All-Stars game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum