GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com?

+7
Flo The Action
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
spader
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com?

Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Vote_lcap267%Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 67% [ 10 ]
Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Vote_lcap213%Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 2 ]
Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Vote_lcap220%Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:47 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoff-Machine wrote:
wprager wrote:That Scanlan tweet was in response to Friedman's tweet about the NYR being close to signing Pirrir for $1.1M.

Take this to the general hockey thread.  

- defacto mod

Just testing embedding tweets, boss.

32Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:13 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Can we do something about the massive amounts of white space? Seems pointless and a bit distracting from the color scheme.

33Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

That white space is where the Latest Topics navigation pane goes. If we change the posts per page from 50 back to 20 there will be a lot less of it. They really should make the side navigation pane fixed in space and just allow the posts to scroll.

34Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:21 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Hoff-Machine wrote:Can we do something about the massive amounts of white space? Seems pointless and a bit distracting from the color scheme.

I agree. Is there a way to take the side material (polls, latest topics) and place it at the top are of the page? Clearing that material off of the side of the page would allow for the posts to be bigger and more readable, and make for a less busy page. Plus, 15 'latest topics' seems excessive... maybe just put the latest 5?

I also wonder if all that side material (polls, latest topics) is needed on each and every page. Maybe just have it display on the main page? Personally, I navigate the site by following the red tags that indicate there are new posts in a thread, and never use the 'latest topics' feature anyway.

35Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I *always* use the Latest Topics. What red tags do you mean, what page? Also I wonder if the "white space" is where the ads would go if we didn't use ad blockers?

36Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:46 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Hoff-Machine wrote:Can we do something about the massive amounts of white space? Seems pointless and a bit distracting from the color scheme.

I agree. Is there a way to take the side material (polls, latest topics) and place it at the top are of the page? Clearing that material off of the side of the page would allow for the posts to be bigger and more readable, and make for a less busy page. Plus, 15 'latest topics' seems excessive... maybe just put the latest 5?

I also wonder if all that side material (polls, latest topics) is needed on each and every page. Maybe just have it display on the main page? Personally, I navigate the site by following the red tags that indicate there are new posts in a thread, and never use the 'latest topics' feature anyway.

I need more info. I have to use the latest topics feature or I can't figure out how to navigate. I always select "classic view" when I'm on my phone because otherwise I don't know how to get to the latest topics.

37Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:20 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I need more info. I have to use the latest topics feature or I can't figure out how to navigate. I always select "classic view" when I'm on my phone because otherwise I don't know how to get to the latest topics.

Same here. Thank goodness for classic view or you'd all have to go without my unique views on the Ottawa Senators and World events.

38Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:18 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I *always* use the Latest Topics.  What red tags do you mean, what page?  Also I wonder if the "white space" is where the ads would go if we didn't use ad blockers?

The red tags, on the main page, added to each thread everything a new post is added. They indicate 'a new post had been added,' and they're tied to each unique user, so when I click on them, I get brought to the post after the one I read the last time I visited. I just look to see which threads on the main page have new red tags and navigate from there.

I should say I never, ever access this site on my phone. I can't even imagine how small the text would be. GMHockey is, for more, in the evenings and weekends, when I'm at home on my lappy.

Anyway, for me, the issue is that right side is very cluttered. Look at Dobber's forums: http://forums.dobbersports.com/forum.php. There are 'latest topic' threads on the right, but they max out at 8~. Then, once you've click on one of the main forums, all the crap on the right side disappears and the threads have the full page. Much cleaner look.

39Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:52 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd love to be able to get rid of the latest topics list once you're inside the topic you've chosen. I have yet to figure out how or if it's even an option since we're bound by Forumotion.com. As for the red tags they're now just yellow quotes on the main page. You'll notice some are yellow and some are greyed out.

- Unknown Author

40Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:15 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'd love to be able to get rid of the latest topics list once you're inside the topic you've chosen.  I have yet to figure out how or if it's even an option since we're bound by Forumotion.com. As for the red tags they're now just yellow quotes on the main page.  You'll notice some are yellow and some are greyed out.

If your quest takes you to some of the developers can you ask them if it would be possible to change the "Next/Previous Topic" button to navigate you to the next/previous in the most recent list?

41Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'd love to be able to get rid of the latest topics list once you're inside the topic you've chosen.  I have yet to figure out how or if it's even an option since we're bound by Forumotion.com. As for the red tags they're now just yellow quotes on the main page.  You'll notice some are yellow and some are greyed out.

I'd say what you've already done -- shrink all the stuff on the right hand side, reduce the latest topic items -- is already a big improvement. Looks much better. Smile

42Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's a work in progress. Glad to see the majority of those voting seem to like the progression. Kinda nice to be tinkering around in the Admin panel again actually.

- Unknown Author

43Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Another note, for those of you that haven't noticed, I set up the blogging section in a format more suited for blogs and all members are welcome to do write ups in there. Check it out if you haven't already. Write something. It was asked for and it's there now!

- Unknown Author

44Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Now that we're down to 5 "Latest Topics," how would one find the 6th, if one was so inclined?

45Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:Now that we're down to 5 "Latest Topics," how would one find the 6th, if one was so inclined?

Fial.

46Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:21 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:Now that we're down to 5 "Latest Topics," how would one find the 6th, if one was so inclined?

First one would gather as many walnuts as they could.

Second one would cram them.

Naughty

- Unknown Author

47Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:37 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Go back to the top 10 topics Dammit!

White space is gone but still is that where the ads are supposed to be?

Great work on revamping the site!

48Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? - Page 3 Empty Re: Yay or Nay on new look GMHockey.com? Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I disabled ad block and the white space is still white (well, grey). I don't see *any* ads in when in an actual thread. Only on the home page (and I don't mean the "Home" button at the top, which brings you to /forums, but the gmhockey.com topmost level home page, or where you get to if you click the GMHockey button next to Home).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum