GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

+6
PTFlea
SensHulk
wprager
Flo The Action
spader
tim1_2
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:That's true, it was him who made that tying goal happen.

I realize you're talking about Ryan, but I also want to point out that when I saw the highlight of that last goal, Hoffman was buzzing around the net and may well have created space for JGP.

That too. Hoffman was flying towards the end - credit to him.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Don't forget it was this time last year that Ryan totally vanished.  Let's hope this isn't a theme.  1G in in the last 11 games, and 3 points during that stretch just isn't good enough when the team is desperate.  Sorry.

I don't really care when a player scores or goes on a slump. The games when he was scoring at a 70 point pace were just as important as these ones.

He and others are gonna have a slump, we can't choose when it happens. Most of it is due to luck.

He's still a consistent guy and our first or second best scoring forward.

The timing of the slump does matter if it's the same time every year...And maybe this is just a blip on the radar of this season and he comes out of it in the next game or two, but I just found it odd that this is when he entered his slump last year too.  

He was playing with a broken finger and couldn't shoot last year. I still also think he was injured beside the finger but would not admit to it.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Don't forget it was this time last year that Ryan totally vanished.  Let's hope this isn't a theme.  1G in in the last 11 games, and 3 points during that stretch just isn't good enough when the team is desperate.  Sorry.

I don't really care when a player scores or goes on a slump. The games when he was scoring at a 70 point pace were just as important as these ones.

He and others are gonna have a slump, we can't choose when it happens. Most of it is due to luck.

The timing of the slump does matter if it's the same time every year...And maybe this is just a blip on the radar of this season and he comes out of it in the next game or two, but I just found it odd that this is when he entered his slump last year too.  

but it doesn't really if the pre-slump play was extremely good. Nobody but the elites are going to keep it up all year.

but he has two points in the last three games so he is already doing better than last year

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:

but it doesn't really if the pre-slump play was extremely good. Nobody but the elites are going to keep it up all year.

but he has two points in the last three games so he is already doing better than last year

Yep. Let's hope he keeps it up.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Let's not be so stats focused. Great, he's got 2 points in 3 games but he's looked utterly useless for the most part. I'm afraid the points he got recently are the actual 'blip' and he's going to revert back to his pointless streak.

God I hope he proves me wrong. This team is going no where without Hoffman, Ryan. OH and Karlsson hasn't looked great either.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Without Hoffman? I disagree. I think we're fine without him in the long term. Our team is going to be two-way oriented with the likes of Pageau, Stone, Ryan, Turris, White, MacArthur, Zibanejad

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You always need top end skill though. I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:You always need top end skill though.   I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

he's a polarizing figure it seems for many fans.
some can't overcome the flaws in his game while other recognize the positives as hard to find in the NHL.

personally i question how easy is it to find a guy that can snipe 25+ a year. sure he's not perfect but he's playing with players that can help him be better and yes, to an extend, cover up his mistakes.
i also do see flashes in his game where he is trying to change his game and be more responsible. it's like he's stuck in the middle, playing in a way that makes him a goal scorer at lower-levels but can prove to be difficult in the NHL because mistakes don't go unpunished and be a more responsible guy. i don't think he's done growing.
IMO you keep a guy like that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:You always need top end skill though.   I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

some can't overcome the flaws in his game while other recognize the positives as hard to find in the NHL.

personally i question how easy is it to find a guy that can snipe 25+ a year. sure he's not perfect but he's playing with players that can help him be better and yes, to an extend, cover up his mistakes.
i also do see flashes in his game where he is trying to change his game and be more responsible. it's like he's stuck in the middle, playing in a way that makes him a goal scorer at lower-levels but can prove to be difficult in the NHL because mistakes don't go unpunished and be a more responsible guy. i don't think he's done growing.

I think you do, yeah. But what's he worth? What if it's an elite C? Or Brodin?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think you do, yeah.  But what's he worth?  What if it's an elite C?  Or Brodin?
This is an obsession with D eh? We got Phaneuf! Now you improve on The LW and center position.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We've got all these terrific, defensively responsible players like Stone, Pageau, Phaneuf, Methot, Zibanejad, Smith, Ryan. And Karlsson spends so much time on the attack that he's got the best CORSI on the team even if people don't think he plays defense. Yet we consistently give up 30+ or more shots. It can't be all on guys like Hoffman, Prince. And we're doing this even without Turris (who is minus infinity since December 5).

So WTF???! Could it be rebound control? Positioning in the defensive zone? Plain old lack of desire to be first on the puck?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think you do, yeah.  But what's he worth?  What if it's an elite C?  Or Brodin?
This is an obsession with D eh? We got Phaneuf! Now you improve on The LW and center position.

Brodin is good though , really good, but yeah the C position is where it's at.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Brodin is good though , really good,  but yeah the C position is where it's at.
So i would imagine you would move ceci down and let Phaneuf plat on his offside?

I get It. But then what do We have on The left wing? Nothing. No one. Mac is no guarantee to come back. And we are still thin at the center position.but you likely increased the cap hit to your org. I don't see it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:We've got all these terrific, defensively responsible players like Stone, Pageau, Phaneuf, Methot, Zibanejad, Smith, Ryan.  And Karlsson spends so much time on the attack that he's got the best CORSI on the team even if people don't think he plays defense.  Yet we consistently give up 30+ or more shots.  It can't be all on guys like Hoffman, Prince.  And we're doing this even without Turris (who is minus infinity since December 5).  

So WTF???!  Could it be rebound control?  Positioning in the defensive zone? Plain old lack of desire to be first on the puck?

Losing puck battles and passing isn't great from half the team, but yeah, this is the big question

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum